3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter Doldrums - How To DIY Florida Alligator Bowhunt  (Read 1586 times)

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Winter Doldrums - How To DIY Florida Alligator Bowhunt
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
To help pass some time in this winter doldrum period, I thought I would share a quick "How To" thread for a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Florida alligator bowhunt. I did this "semi-live" over on PBS' site, but thought some of you might enjoy it here as well. I have shared some of the photos from the hunts, so you will most likely recognize some of it.  I do have to place a disclaimer - I am not an "expert", but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Just stating this up front so all of you real experts can jump in and share your knowledge with all of us as well. I know for a fact there are a lots of guys on here that have forgotten 10X more than I know about alligator bowfishing.  The photo below is of my (then 15) daughter with the gator she took this past August.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Doldrums - How To DIY Florida Alligator Bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Tery, that is the coolest pic.I hope she had boots made from that feller.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
I have been applying for a Florida Public Waters Alligator Harvest Permit for over 10 years. I finally got a permit in an area I wanted to hunt in 2008 and again in 2009. My good friend Jeff Holchin was also successful with drawing the same permit in 2008 and we began the planning process. Applicants who are awarded a permit must submit payment for two CITES tags and an Alligator Trapping License. The cost for a non-resident is $1,049.34 (includes all fees) and allows you to take two alligators. You can have someone assist you in taking the alligators if they purchase an Alligator Trappers Agent license for $50.50. So, this makes Florida alligator bowfishing a great buddy hunt. You can split the tag cost and each of you can harvest a nice gator for about $550 in tag costs. Or as Jeff and I did in 2008 and what I did in 2009, you can have your kids go with you and they can have a chance at an alligator.

The application process has changed over the years. In 2008 it was on a 1st come 1st served basis. In 2009 it went to a random draw. I believe they will have the random draw again this year in 2010. You must apply in early June and you apply for specific lakes, rivers, counties, or "units". The permit you get limits you to a very specific area. For example, Okeechobee South unit. There is an imaginary line across the lake and you can hunt the big lake anywhere South of that line. They do this to control the number of hunters and to manage the alligator population. Most of the units have plenty of alligators, it is really more about finding a unit with lots of big ones. I believe the best chance for success is to apply for one of the first hunt periods. The overall season is broken up into 4 harvest periods. For 2009 it was as follows. 1st was Aug. 15 to Aug. 22 and Sep. 12 to Nov. 1, 2nd was Aug. 22 to Aug. 29 and Sep. 12 to Nov. 1, 3rd was Aug. 29 to Sep. 5 and Sep. 12 to Nov. 1, and 4th was Sep. 5 to Sep. 12 and Sep. 12 to Nov. 1. Basically, you get a week in the first 3 periods and if unsuccessful you get another @2 weeks in Sept. The big alligators don't get that way by being dumb. After the 1st period they begin to get spooky and will retreat into the depths of the backwaters where you can't reach them.  You don't have to pay for your permit until after you are drawn. You have a certain period to pay and if you don't your permit goes back into a pool for a 2nd random draw, after the 2nd random draw and there are still permits available they become available 1st come 1st served. Most of the best units and times are gone in the random draw process. Another disclaimer is if you are interested to be sure and visit the Florida Fish and Game website for "official" rules.

This is the address for the online alligator hunt worksheet. It shows the units and seasons.
  http://myfwc.com/docs/LicensesPermits/Quota_Work_0910_Alligator.pdf  

This is a small gator in typical habitat.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Really looking forward to this thread...too cool Terry!!!
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Another disclaimer - alligator bowfishing is a ton of fun to do yourself, but like any DIY you learn a lot from trial and error. Jeff, our sons, and I had a wonderful time in 2008, but for a lot of reasons we only got 1 gator. We had many opportunities and if we had more than 2 nights to hunt, I'm positive we would've taken 4 gators. However, I learned an immense amount on that 1st hunt and we did much better in 2009. I was also really fortunate to have a couple of good friends live in the area I hunted and they took us out a few nights. I'm really confident we all would've gotten gators in 2009 without local help, but Capp Williams of Capp's Gator Hunts and Jay Trent really helped us get on a lot of gators and taught us even more. A DIY gator hunt does take a lot of equipment and it can get expensive. You also need a boat. I towed mine from NY both times. So, if you don't have the desire to buy the bowfishing stuff or don't have a boat then give Capp or another local gator guide a call.

Bowfishing for alligators is a night time event, with legal hours 1 hour before sundown until 1 hour after sunrise. The basic technique for hunting alligators involves using a high powered spotlight to cruise the shoreline in a boat looking for the reflective glare of the red eyes of the alligator. Once you see their reflective eyes you try to stealthily get within bow range using a trolling motor. After you shoot it the alligator will take off and a detachable float will deploy so you can follow the gator. Once the gator tires and stops you begin to pull the gator to the boat with a very heavy (200-640# Kevlar) line. When you get them close to the boat it is best to sink another bowfishing arrow into him as insurance. You then try to get a bigger rope attached to the gator and this can be done by using a big grapple hook attached to the rope and you manually yank it into the gator or a harpoon on a long pole. You now have a big rope attached and a bit better control of the gator. Some guys also use a heavy casting rod with heavy line and a big treble hook to get another line on the gator. Once you get the gator under pretty good control with the bowfishing lines and rope the next step is to dispatch the animal. There are 3 basic techniques. The one most often used and preferred by gator guides and the owner of the boat is to use a "bang stick". A bang stick is basically a gun on a stick. They shoot the gator at the base of the skull to kill it. For most folks "bow" fishing the bang stick isn’t a preferred method. The method I prefer is to tire the gator enough to get him to the side of the boat where you can get a noose around his snout. This process can get pretty hairy and caused my friend Jeff to tell his son Daniel, to get away from that dang fool (me). The gator isn’t a fan of you grabbing them and if given the chance will be happy to tear your hand or arm off. They can also do a lot of damage to the side of your boat. Teeth marks in .100 gauge aluminum tells a pretty good story. Anyway, once the snout is roped, you then grab him by the head and wrap black electrical tape around the jaws so he can not bite. The gator is then roped better and wrangled so as to not bite you. You then pull it up with just its head in the boat and hold it in place while the 2nd person administers a “pithing”. Pithing is where you insert a big knife right at the base of the skull and scramble the spinal cord and cut up into the brain cavity. This is very quick and painless (so they say). The 3rd method is to use a broadhead to shoot the gator through the chest and lungs like you would most other big game animals. The only difference is that in Florida ALL arrows must have a line attached. We had a few Hickory arrows with Eclipse broadheads on them. We drilled a hole just below the nock and threaded 200# Kevlar line through it and attached the other end of the line (10 yards of line) to a small float.

This is pretty much how you hunt for them!  

Gator hunting is for everyone! Even pretty little 15 year old girls.

This is my son getting ready for a "pithing" of a gator. As you can see he was pretty happy about getting a gator!

More to come later with lots of photos.  The content will include hunt details and success photos for 5 alligators (7’, 9’1”, 10”, 10”, and 12’2”) taken by 3 of my kids and myself.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
wooooohoooo colts!!!  :thumbsup:  oh, wait a minute.

sweet thread terry!!  looks like alotta fun!

gaff  :archer:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Ryan High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Very cool! Can't wait for the rest to come.

Offline Boss Maputahi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
One way too keep the cost way down is to buy the hunt I donate to the St Jude auction every year. It has yet to break anyones bank. And I`m better looking than 15 year old girls. Kinda
Aaah, yup it`s dead.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Why shoot an alligator?

Because they are like most other species. If you give them a value and create demand they are protected. Alligators have increased their population in Florida to a degree that they need to be controlled. Several attacks on people occur each year and many pets are lost to them. It is a terrific management tool.

I don't like to kill things that I don't eat and alligators are excellent eating. Following is a decription of the meat. From  www.WiseGeek.com  - "Alligator meat is considered to be healthier than domestic chicken, especially when it comes to cholesterol and fat content. The most common alligator meat product sold in stores is the tail section. Alligator tail meat is very similar to veal in texture, but is said to taste like chicken, rabbit, fish or frog's legs. Some also compare the tail meat to the white portions of pork. There is also a tenderloin portion of alligator meat, located in a tubular section of the tail.

While the tail portion may be considered the best section of alligator meat, there is also some consumer demand for the darker, slightly tougher midsection meat. The taste of the midsection alligator meat is said to be closer to a pork shoulder, with sinewy grains and a stronger natural flavor than the tail section. Some alligator meat enthusiasts also enjoy the meat found in an alligator's feet, often called the alligator's wings. The flavor and texture reportedly resembles frog's legs.

From a health standpoint, alligator meat may be considered a better alternative to marbled steaks or fatty pork products. According to one alligator meat producer in Florida, the nutritional value of alligator breaks down like this:

Nutritional values for approximately 4 ounces (114 grams) of raw, edible portions:

Calories 110
Calories From Fat 20
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat .5 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 55 mg
Total Carbohydrates 0 g
Protein 24 g

The number of calories from fat and the low amount of saturated fat, along with the high protein and low carbohydrate ratio, suggests that alligator meat is a healthy meat product. The alligators used for commercial meat products are raised on farms, which means their diets are strictly controlled and their habitats are properly maintained. Even wild alligators, whose meat is occasionally sold, maintain a varied diet of shellfish and other seafood. Some experienced cooks suggest marinating alligator meat for better results, but it can be served as steaks, stewing cubes, hamburger patties and even sausages." My favorite is to simply make small cubes, roll them in bread crumbs, corn meal, and some spices and then deep fry in corn oil. I call them "gator bites". Another favorite is alligator stir fry. It tastes most like pork to me.

The hide can also be used to make a lot of neat leather products. As for a trophy there are lots of things you can do with them. I'm having one made into a "rug" like the one shown below. An European skull looks cool as does just the head.

This is a photo of me skinning my sons 10' gator. This one will be a rug and this way of skinning is correct. For leather products you skin it entirely different.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
In order to get prepared for bowfishing you will need some specialized equipment. Following is a list of needed items:
Bow - Any standard model will work, recurve, longbow, or compound. Note: It is legal to use methods other than a bow. You can use a harpoon, a baited wooden peg, and even the dreaded crossgun.

Arrows - Any very heavy shaft will work, but most people use heavy fiberglass. The Muzzy Gator Getter Kit has a aluminum arrow filled with what appears to be fiberglass. Alligator skin is very thick and the scutes (boney projections running along the back) are impenetrable. The heavy arrows help penetrate the water and the skin. The photo below shows part of the Muzzy arrow and Muzzy head.

Detachable Bowfishing Point - A good solid bowfishing head is required to hold the gator. Muzzy is the most popular head, but there are several other good heads like the Gator Grappler shown below. A good solid chisel head is important. A detachable head helps prevent the arrow from pulling loose due to arrow leverage. The photo below shows how you rig the tip. The line is then taped to the arrow and threaded through the tip. The head will pull loose and the arrow will slide up and down the cord. However, only one of may arrows survived without getting bent.

Bowfishing Line - The minimum I would use is 200# and I normally use the 640# Kevlar. The gators will roll when shot and can abrade a line very quickly.

Line Retriever - This can be anything from a Gatorade bottle (no not how it got its name) to the Aims Slotted Retriever. Something to hold the line before shooting. The photo below shows the Aims retriever on a recurve. It also shows the float.

Float - Gators are strong and if you are holding the line you will be pulled into the lake and it will cut your hands up. A float is sent out with the line and you follow it up.

Hand Held Spotlight - Used for scanning the water for gator eyes. I used a red lens that didn't seem to help much, but they really didn't seem to mind the blue lens at all. Gators that are hunted hard will get light shy.

Boat - Any jon boat will work. Some use airboats to get back into the foilage. A trolling motor on the jon boat allows for a quiet approach after spotting the gator. My boat is a 17" Roughneck with a 50/35 Jet motor.

The photo below shows Jeff Holchin with a complete bowfishing rig and good form.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Some other miscellaneous equipment includes the things in this photo. You can see a couple different lens filters for the QBeam, extra bulb, black electrical tape for taping the gators mouth closed, ThermaCell and replacement fillers, skinning knives and diamond sharpener, binoculars for daytime gator assessment, clip on cap lights, LED headlamp, 640# spool of gator cord.

This is a rod with a snagging treble for getting another line on a gator.

Close up of the weighted treble.

Some of my Muzzy Gator Gettor Arrows and some home made aluminum ones. I actually filled some with weedeater line and glue to make them heavier.

This is a home made snare for the gator snout. I made this after my first trip and Jeff called me crazy.

These are some essential elements for a direct 24 hour drive from Upstate NY to Okeechobee, FL.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
More later! I'm off to a meeting. You definitely want one bigger than this one.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Terry, would you say that one of the best chances to experience this awesome hunt would be to join PBS, thereby getting your name in a drawing for it?  (Shameless plug, I know.  Didn't mean to hijack your thread!)  

This hunt looks like nothing but FUN!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Kevin, what a great idea! : ) That is definitely  a way to experience this hunt. More on that later.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
The way to judge an alligator's size is by the length of the snout. See photo and description.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I have to add a little bit about safety. You will be hunting at night and you probably should wear a floatation device at all times. I'm not quite that smart, but it is recommended.

Alligators are very powerful and their bite force is one of the highest pounds per inch in the world. If they don't tear your arm off with their death roll, the ensuing infection probably will kill you. They harbor a very infectious bacteria in their mouths that requires immediate and special treatment if you are bitten.

"Snap back" is the term used if your bowfishing line gets caught on your reel/retriever, bow, or anything else. The arrow will go out a little ways and then snap back with enough force to easily impale you. You MUST be exceptionally careful to ensure your line is clear prior to shooting. Also, make sure the line is on the outside of your bow holding arm. That hurts a lot! The photo below shows the line in the proper position. For regular bowfishing the arrows are equipped with a safety slide. Unfortunately, they aren't feasible with the detacheable head. I tried to attach the line to a hole in the arrow near the tip, but the heavy line would cause the arrow to nose dip. By far the best accuracy was obtained by tightly taping the line along the shaft and securing it near the nock.

More tomorrow with some hunting stories.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
awesome thread Terry!! never really gave gater huntin much thought.. looks like a ball!    :campfire:  

gaff
go colts!!! :jumper:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Super thread bud      :thumbsup:        :thumbsup:  

:jumper:        :jumper:    GO JETS!!!      :jumper:        :jumper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Now back to some gator hunting. Below are a couple of bow rigging options. There are really 4 options that I know of: 1)slotted Aims retriever; 2) basic line spool (Bear, on the Float, or other standards); 3) just let the line be in a coil on the boat deck; and 4) with line in a large fishing reel (unique method that does work).

This is the Aims Slotted system:

This is the spool system on the float. You obviously should replace the heavy tape with light tape.

This is a regular old Bear type spool.

This shows my daughter ready to shoot and you can see the white float. It is attached to the short wood pole the fishing reel is attached to. That handsome fellow on the left is our good friend Capp.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
This is some good looking gator country!

This is a picture I should have added for the safety part. You can see they do have some nice looking teeth.

I'm off to another meeting and will start doing some "day-by-day" hunts when I get back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©