3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter Doldrums - How To DIY Florida Alligator Bowhunt  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter Doldrums - How To DIY Florida Alligator Bowhunt
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
we want more terry!! lets go, we aint gettin any younger.. lol  :smileystooges:  

gaff  :campfire:    :archer:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
Terry, great thread....so far you are covering all the info IMO. Putting a whole new light on gator hunting, atleast for me. It was always one of those things I was kinda iffy about. Thanks for changing my mind.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
:clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Sorry guys! I was at my son's volleyball game and it went a full 5 games with our team winning after being down 2 games!

I also apologize for mixing football with hunting. I started all this stuff with Gaff and Curt and was just having fun. No one will lose any sleep over a football game. So, again sorry!

Now, LET'S GO HUNTING!

I'll start with our most recent hunt from August of this year.

It all began with this little statement by my then 15 year old daughter Jennifer - “Hey dad, will you take me alligator hunting like you did with Tyler last year?”  What is a dad to do!  Her request came as a little bit of a surprise since she has been distracted from her outdoor pursuits for a couple years due to cheerleading, boys and sports. I really had no choice but to get the gears in motion for planning a Florida alligator hunt for her. The first step was to select a hunt unit and prepare to apply in early June. We selected a few areas around Lake Okeechobee since my dad owns a place right in the town of Okeechobee and our lodging would be free. We thought we would try for the ONLY County wide tag offered and were really lucky to draw it!  This gave us thousands of acres of gator water that we had exclusive access to. We also chose this area because we have two great friends in the area that gator hunt as a part-time business and Capp is one of the best in the business and combine Jay Trent and we had the best team out there. They would be able to do some scouting for us and did find a few good sized gators for us prior to our arrival. My older son Jeff was home after his freshman year at BYU and was waiting on his mission call for our church. He was called to the Brussels Belgium/Netherlands mission and had to report on Oct. 7th.  This meant he could go with us to Florida. This was great news as we wouldn't see him for a solid 2 years. What a great way to send off my son and spend time with my daughter.

This is my son Jeff and daughter Jennifer with good friends Capp Williams and Jay Trent in Capp's boat. You can tell we weren't having any fun at all.

The dates were set and we made our plans. Jeff and I would drive down pulling my boat and then Jennifer would fly down and join us on the Sunday after the opening Sat. She couldn't drive with us as she was planning a big Youth Conference. This is a photo of my son taking a rest during our trip down.

After we arrived, Jeff and I immediately launched the boat and went scouting for some gators. It is really amazing that we didn't see hardly any gators in the daylight, but that night we must've saw 30 or 40. They can sure hide in the daytime.

This is from the 1st days scouting.

We did run into some bad luck as we were running my boat on the first day and sheared off a pin on my Jet impeller. Fortunately, my friends had a couple boats to offer, but we were able to travel to Fort Pierce to get a replacement part that was the wrong part. Jay and I had to manually grind it down to fit. Anyway, we finally got the boat running and Jeff and I were off on our first night of hunting.

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
what do you think is a good draw weight to use? this thread is really making me want to go gator hunting
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
Well we weren't actually hunting yet. We still had the night before the opener to scout. We went out until about 2 AM. Jeff and I were about dead without having slept for over 2 days. We did have a great scouting night and saw well over 40 gators.

This is some good gator country. It is really nice to hunt the canals without a lot of shoreline timber and brush. Gators will immediately go to the thickest and nastiest stuff and will pull the arrowhead out.

This is Jeff on the point and lookout for gators.

The first picture gives you an idea of what to look for. The two red eyes just below the white spot. The other photos are of a few of the gators we called next to the boat. The call is basically like a loud swallowing sound. Anyway we called 10 or more right next to the boat. The largest we called next to the boat was a 10+ footer. We also were withing range of at least one 12+ footer and saw another good solid 12+ and had three others over 11' that we saw but didn't want to pressure.

This is close to a 10' gator right next to the boat. See the angled side of the boat in the upper left. Even I can make this shot!

This picture is probably a 10' gator swimming away from us.

That's it for tonight. Actual hunting tomorrow!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
Tradsniper, I know that there have been some gators taken with bows as light as 40#s. But let me tell you, if you are shooting that low of a weight you better be very close. You really need to be shooting an arrow over 1000 gr and you wouldn't believe how tough their hide is. My son Jeff shot 3 going away from him with a 66# bow and the arrow couldn't penetrate the back. In fact, don't even bother shooting one near the scutes (hard boney projections on the back). You really have to shoot them in the soft side of the neck for best penetration. Of the 5 gators we have taken 4 were in the neck region and one was in the lower jaw area. They can be taken from the sides, but again, they are tough. My daughter used a 50# Bear Grizzly recurve, my sons used a 66# recurve, and I used a 65# takedown TimberHawk recurve. So, the best answer I can give is to shoot the heaviest one you can with some good accuracy out to 15 yards.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by ishiwannabe:

Terry, great thread....so far you are covering all the info IMO. Putting a whole new light on gator hunting, atleast for me. It was always one of those things I was kinda iffy about. Thanks for changing my mind.
I really gotta agree with Jamie on those statements.  I was kinda iffy as well but you have sure openened my eyes to gator hunting!

Looking forward to the rest!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I know one thing for sure....Im NEVER gator hunting with ya Terry. Aint no way Im swan diving on an angry gator!Bad enough doing hand to hand with a mortally wounded bunny.  :biglaugh:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Jeff and I were at the boat launch site about a half hour before legal shooting time (one hour before sundown). You can't be on the water with your hunting gear before legal time or you could get a ticket. August is the rainy season in Florida and it was no disappointment for our first night out. Jeff and I were under a constant barrage of rain until about 1 AM. We had several gators in range, but passed looking for a bigger one. We took a quick break to get some dry clothes on and then headed back out with our friends who had been out earlier and took 2 nice gators with another friend.

This is Jeff ready for action on the first night.

From about 1 AM till 6:30 AM we had some good action and Jeff had some bad luck. We saw probably 25 gators. It was slower due to the storms. Jeff passed on 5 "give me" shots on gators from 8 - 9.5 feet. He wants a 10' plus and had two great shots. He shot perfectly, but had horrible luck. The first shot penetrated about to the barbs, but didn't seem to go all the way in. His reel jammed and he almost lost the bow and all, but he held on. The head pulled out. He evidently hit one of the scutes. Perfect shot, just bad luck. The second shot was also right on target but this time he hit the shoulder blade and the head again didn't penetrate all the way. Horrible luck! Great shooting. Both were well over 10' gators.

After you shoot the gator you have to hand line them with some decent pressure. You do need to play them like a big fish, but if the barb is in good you can put a lot of pressure on them. The intent is to get them close for a 2nd arrow and or to get a big treble and larger rope on them.

The really big gators are amazingly tough! There is a big difference between a 10' and a 12'. Jeff was about 1 second from a really big 11 or 12. Just as he was getting ready to shoot the big boy submerged. Believe it or not the gators are actually pretty smart and wary. Like anything the big trophy animals don't get that way by being dumb.

You will spend a lot of time in this position.

Traditional archers are a rare breed down here where everyone else is shooting the gators with crossbows and compounds. My two buddies were really impressed with Jeff's shooting.

You guys can't imagine how proud I was of my son. Not only for his wonderful attitude in less than ideal situations with rain and pulled arrows. He never once complained and just cherished our time together. He knew that in a couple of months we would be separated for two years. I get emotional just writing this and missing him.

I'm really proud of Jeff. He did exactly what he was supposed to do and shot really well. He showed great restraint on the 8' and 9' gators at 3 feet away.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any other photos due to the incessant rain. It was a really long night. We got back to the dock at 6:30 AM. We were very wet and very tired. We got a couple hours of sleep and then were off to pickup Jennifer from the airport.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »
Well I just spent an hour getting the next night's hunt account and photos loaded and it wouldn't process because there is a 8 photo maximum per post. Would've been nice to know before spending all the time and losing a ton of work.

Oh well! I know now!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
Jeff and I got a few hours of rest and then had to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to Ft. Lauderdale to pickup Jennifer. Jeff actually crawled into the back of the car and got some nice sleep. Jennifer was really excited for her night of hunting. We immediately turned around and made the same drive back. Jeff slept most of the way back as well. We had a quick stop at the local Okeechobee Taco Bell to gas up (pun intended) for the nights hunt! We then were back at my parents place and began getting all of our gear together. We were going to go in Capp's boat tonight as it is a nice big 21' SeaArk with an 84" beam. Plenty big for the five of us (Jen, Jeff, Capp, Jay, and I) and a better fit than my 17' Roughneck. Capp and Jay arrived to pick us up and we were on the water in 15 minutes. We then made a very long run to the back of a very long canal.

The overcast night made the orange orchard canal as dark as ebony bow wood. We were extremely fortunate to at least be enjoying a rainless night. Florida summer days almost always end with an evening thunderstorm and our trip thus far lived up to expectations.

Jeff being the kind and generous brother that he is offered Jen the first opportunity at a gator.

Here is Jennifer ready for action.

Jennifer was poised on the bow of the boat with her 50# Bear Grizzly recurve rigged and ready with a heavy Muzzy fish head and Gator Getter arrow. Jeff and I knew the canal where we were hunting held some very nice alligators as Jeff had passed several on the previous night. Jennifer wasn’t going to be picky and wanted to take the first decent gator she encountered.

The wait was short lived and we were close to a really nice gator, but just before Jen could shoot it submerged under some weeds. We then moved on and within a minute or two spotted another gator. We didn't think it was a very big gator but Jen thought it looked huge and was big enough. Capp made a couple grunts and the gator swam right toward the boat. Jen took a long range shot of about 3 feet and the gator didn't move. I thought she missed. It then made a lunge and a splash and Jen jumped back and yelled "that thing is huge". Her shot turned out to be perfect and the rodeo was on.  

This is Jen scanning the canal for a gator.

This is Jen right after shooting the gator and the fight beginning.

Here you can see the gator fight in action and see Jen's arrow wrapped up with another heavier line we were able to get attached. The gator is pretty wrapped up due to its "death rolls".

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Really great thread! Felt like I was there (just had to open the office door and let that cold wet air in!)
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Here you can see where the gator rolled even more and we have another heavy line attached. It is getting close to being able to be wrangled for pithing.

Here is Jen getting ready to pull the gator up for the pithing.

This is pithing in action!

After the pithing you have to roll the gator into the boat as they can be very heavy. Here's Jeff helping roll the gator into the boat.

Here's Jen with her gator after getting it into the boat.

Overall, Jen couldn't have been happier with her gator and Jeff was just as happy for her as if it were his gator. Here's the 3 of us with her gator. What a great night with my daughter and son and it wasn't over yet. Jeff was up next!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
After we finished up with getting Jen's gator in the boat we went after one for Jeff. He continued to have some bad luck. He started out with a perfect shot on a solid 11' gator and the thump and placement sounded great. This gator took off like a cannon shot. It obviously knew its home turf and headed straight for a submerged tree. It must have wrapped up in the tree was able to pull the head out. About an hour later we were in "chase mode" and had another good solid 10' gator at about 5 yards. We told Jeff to try just behind the head at water level as he was going away and the shot was perfect, but the solid thwack we heard indicated he hit the center scute and sure enough, only one barb penetrated. We had to exert a lot of pressure to keep him out of the brush and the head again pulled out. The next was another solid 11' gator and we got into "chase mode". We closed the gap and told Jeff to try shooting to the left or right of center line. He pulled the shot a little too far left and had his one and only miss. Talk about some serious bad luck. We continued on with lots of other gators stalked and passed. Finally, with an hour left and plans to hunt another location the next night on a different permit. Jay was extremely generous and offered to let Jeff be a Trappers Agent on his permit. Since we wouldn't be in my area again we told Jeff to just take the very next gator for some good meat and hide. Sure enough with less than an hour to go we got up on a 7' gator and his shot was perfect. A pretty good fight later and Jeff had his first gator. Jeff would be up first on the next night with hopes for a larger gator.

One last thing. How many of you have experienced Jeff's luck? He comes down early puts in some hard scouting and preparation, hunts really hard and has some bad luck. Then in pops Jen after a gruelling 2 hours plane ride (wink, wink). Remember Jeff and my 24 hour direct drive. She hunts really hard for less than an hour and kills a great animal. Been there done that. It is great for Jeff to see "life in action". He was as excited or more for Jen then she was. Although, she was really excited! I couldn't have been more proud of Jeff. He is just having fun being here! What a great example for us all.

Here is Jeff pithing his 1st gator.

Here is Jeff with his meat and hide 7' alligator.

Here is Jeff and Jen with their gators! Makes a papa proud.

This is what Jen did during the wee hours of the early morning!

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
hey terry, about how much meat does a 7-10ft. gator give ya? got any pics of that process? really enjoyin the thread so far man!!

gaff

oh, who gets the fun job of untangling all those ropes?? lol
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
We had one more night to go out and Jay dropped another surprise on me and offered to let me shoot a gator as an Agent as well. So Jeff and I would both get a chance to hunt them. Of course, Jeff was up first and I wouldn't even pickup a bow until he got a gator.  Well fortunately our wait wasn't long at all. After being checked by the local game warden after launching the boat we made a quick 5 minute run and saw several gators. It was still light out when we encountered what we thought was a big gator. Jeff made the perfect shot and by the time we saw that it wasn't as big as we hoped it was too late. Jeff had a great fight and was able to land a really nice 9'1" gator.

Fighting his gator!

Here is Jeff with his gator.

This was early in the night and we still had lots of time for me to try to get a gator. The mosquitos were big enough and hungry enough to carry us off. I was very happy with Jen and Jeff getting gators and was going to be happy with any gator that gave me a shot.

Offline Jay Campbell JD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Hey Terry: These are cool pictures and a cool hunt. My wife Karen and I have been hunting gators for a while, and have articles on our hunts in Sports Afield, one coming up in Bowhunter, and in the current TBM (I mention that only to point out that we have a bit of experience).

One thing I would never do is use a bowfishing rig for gator that allows the line to come behind the riser of the bow. I see your lines are rigged that way, and lots of folks do it, but in my experience (!!) and opinion the risk of catching the line and snap back by the arrow, or snagging a body part is too great. I have nearly been blinded by snap back while bowfishing. The AMS "slider" or any number of other inexpensive "ring" rigs will allow the string to always remain forward of the riser, but let the arrow slip through the slider or ring so the pressure of the shot is on the nock end of the arrow when the line plays out. Just another way of doing it. Congratulations! - Jay Campbell, JD
The how and why of hunting is more important than the what, or the where, or with whom. In hunting - as in life - the joy is in the journey.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Gaff, you don't get a ton of meat of the gators. The tail meat is the best, but we salvaged it all. I would guess the 7' gator gave us 30#s of meat and the 10' probably 60-70#s.

After Jeff's gator was in the boat we set off after one for me. We spotted what looked like a good gator down river a bit and made a stalk. Unfortunately, it submerged before we got up on it. They appeared to be pretty spooky. We saw another and made another stealthy approach only to lose site of the gator. It had submerged and fortunately we caught site of something on the outside of the boat. We swung a light over to it and it was a huge gator. Fortunately, I was using a fast swinging longbow and was able to swing and shoot very fast and made a very lucky shot right into its lower jaw/jowl. After a really long fight we were able to land the big 12'2" beast.

Here is my gator right after pithing.

Here is Jeff, Jen, and I with our gators.

This shows how huge it's head is.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Great tip Jay! Snap back can kill you! I really enjoyed your article in TBM with Karen's Redneck Mink!

I wish I could explain what a great time it is to bowfish for alligators with your kids. The photo below is of my younger son Tyler and the gator he took in 2008 on a very similar hunt as described above.

As a summary of the hunt I have included a quick hunt logistics section below:
•Permits are $272 for residents and $1,022 (plus taxes) for non-residents and were issued on a random drawing basis in 2009. Visit the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FFWC) website for a full description of the program.
•You are able to select up to five Harvest Unit Numbers with a corresponding Harvest Period.  There are four one week harvest periods to choose from generally beginning in mid August and running through mid September. There is also a second season that runs from mid September to the first of November.
•Two CITES tags are provided with the license and must be immediately affixed to the alligator upon harvest. Unused CITES tags must be returned to the FFWC. A Florida hunting license is not required to participate in the Statewide Alligator Harvest.
•Permittees may license alligator trapping agents to assist them with their hunt. Agent’s licenses ($51.50) may be purchased at a license distribution location or online.
•The legal methods for taking of Alligator mississippiensis include: baited wooden pegs, harpoons, snatch hooks, snares, crossguns, or bows. Our chosen method involved stick bows specifically rigged with very stout bowfishing gear.
•Muzzy makes a “gator getter kit” that works very well. It includes very heavy Kevlar line, heavy aluminum arrows with detachable bowfishing heads, float bow mount, and two large floats.
•Alligator meat is excellent and you should salvage as much as possible. The meat will spoil very quickly in the warm Florida weather. You must get the alligator on ice almost immediately.
•If successful in obtaining a permit, you will receive many mailings from alligator processors that will skin and process the alligator. Many will buy the hide from you or process it for a fee.
•Alligator European hide mounts make a very unique trophy and will be the talk of your trophy room. The other option is to have it tanned and to make useful everyday items.
•A good sized boat is recommended. We used a 17' Roughneck boat with a 50/35 Jet motor.
•Much of the hunting time will be while trolling. A good foot controlled trolling motor with a couple of backup batteries is essential.
•Head lamps will definitely make the hunt a bit easier.
•Very bright hand held spotlights are used most of the time for searching for the alligators eye shine. Again, heavy duty marine batteries are needed for the all night excursions.  Some experienced alligator hunters equip their boat with a small, quiet generator.
•The very nature of the night hunting experience and the capture and harvest of alligators has the potential of being extremely dangerous and could result in injury.
•Alligators are very powerful and their bite force is one of the highest pounds per inch in the world. They harbor a very infectious bacteria in their mouths that requires immediate and special treatment if you are bitten.
•Electrical tape sticks when wet and is used to tape the alligators mouth closed.
•Skinning the alligator is very similar to skinning of any other animal. If possible, leave the skinning and processing to the professionals.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©