3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ordered my NEW DESIGN ACS CX bow today  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Ordered my NEW DESIGN ACS CX bow today
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
So I just got off the phone with Larry Hanify with A&H and asked him if it was ok to share this info and he gave me the go ahead  :D  .

So these pics are a 12" riser with 60/62" limbs.

He is working on a 56" & 58" model as we speak.

Figures he will have it ready for me in a month...I asked for a bow in the 56" length and at 28" will put out a 750 grain arrow at around 180-185 fps. He figures it will be under 60#, but testing will come soon...AWESOME  :goldtooth:  .

He is making me a 56" bow with a 12" riser. He says the 12" riser will give the 56" bow the feel and performance of having a working 62" limb atleast I am sure that's what he said.

I am stoked. He has tested the one in the pictures and this is his results so far.

Hi Jerry,
We got the bow back from John.....and everything tested out good at 9gr per pound were at 198fps the bow has longer working limbs than our current 62" bow so it feels like your drawing a 64" bow.  That's the 60/62 inch model and so we'll get started with the 56/58 inch bow.  I'll let you know when we have more details.  
Larry

Jer Bear - PS he is giving 10% off of all custom bows starting in 2 weeks  :jumper:

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ordered my NEW DESIGN ACS CX bow today
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Jerry,

See if you can get them to make the riser out of live oak with a couple of phenolic stripes and stain the live oak to whatever color you would like your riser to be.  You're going to need all the mass you can get in a 12" riser and live oak is the heaviest wood of which I have personal knowledge.  It is a very hard wood, too, so they may not want to expose their tools to it.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I will see - I was think either Ebony or Cocobolo.

He said it shoots real fine now and he is fiddling with everything to get it right....they know what they are doing and I am sure they will test ever aspect of it before they let her out of the shop - I know in their initial designs when OL was there they scapped numerous molds and everthing is done with CNC machining so tolerances are superb.

thanks for your input

jer Bear

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Hmm, if they are doing CNC, see if they can put a metal rod in the riser just below the shelf to add some weight.  A 12" riser is going to be light unless they use a very dense wood or can insert the steel rod.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Well they are testing it with a 12" riser now and they think it's pretty good, but like I say i think they will work any bugs out...they seem pretty particular about things, the test adn modify - test and modify. Seems they are fanatical about quality and performance.

this is what the weights are now with 14-16" riser:
Bow weight (approximately)

* 14" ST wood riser and limbs 34 oz
   riser only 18 oz

* 14" ST aluminum riser and limbs 50 oz
   riser only 32oz

* 16" ST wood riser and limbs 36 oz
   riser only 22 oz

* 16" ST aluminum riser and limbs 57 oz
   riser only 42 oz

* 16" RC wood riser and limbs 40 oz
   riser only oz 25

They are looking at an all carbon riser now too so who knows what will be coming in the future but I love wood.

jer Bear

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
A short ACS, oh no I am in trouble.  I better start saving now.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Let me know how it shoots. i would also be interested in a short ACS. Thanks, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
What would be the best set up for someone with a 29inch draw lengh?
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
check their site and phone or fax Larry Hanify - real nice fella

A & H Archery Inc.
PO Box 187
Marne MI 49435
Phone 616-677-2726
Fax 616-677-6110

but this comes right out of their literature.

Draw Length

The 58" and 60" bow lengths work well out to 28". The 62” bow is optimized for all draw lengths up to 29”. The 64” bow is smooth up to a 31” draw length. The 66” limb set has proven to operate well beyond that.

Now they are adding a 56" that is good for a 28" draw, but it's in testing mode

jer Bear

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I know where Bill is headed, but there are those of us who prefer lighter mass weight bows.  The standard wood 14" riser I had was still a touch heavy for me.  I couldn't put a quiver on it and feel comfortable.  I currently only own one or two piece bows that are very light in the hand and probably weigh less with a quiver full of arrows than a bare 3 piece ACS.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
56" ACS 3 piece I am not looking at this post anymore it could cost me some money!

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Jerry,
Will any of the current limbs work with the new riser?
Thanks,
Doug

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Nice!!  I got to shoot that riser when it was a prototype last summer.  Very impressive for as short as it is.

If you are a ACX guy, you gotta look at this.  Short and fast is a good thing.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I tend to like a heavier bow, I was thinking about getting a 16inch riser with 62 inch limbs.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Keep in mind that the ACS risers are typically half fiberglass, which is heavier than most woods.  I find my 14-inch risers the perfect combination of small size and sufficient mass for superb stability.

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 14" riser pretty soon. I think I'm going with a 62" bow.

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I had heard about the 12 in riser.  Cool to finally see one.  If you're worried about the mass weight, have them build one in aluminum.  

So now I can turn my 64" bow into a 62" bow.  Great, I see me getting in trouble with the Mrs. over buying another riser  :knothead:
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
Doug I am not sure about the limbs working with a current riser. I would phone Larry and see.

I know with my 14" riser I could have got 58" limbs for it, but he said that if you just put shorter limbs on the risers (14/16) then you lose the working part of the limbs and it's performance goes down....that's why the shorter riser for the shorter limbs

Looks like he is getting some great results out of the 12"riser and the 60/62 limbs right now though.

Jer Bear

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Jerry, did they say anything about poundage.  Like will a set of 64" limbs on a 12" riser be drawing more pounds than it is marked.  I know for the 16" riser you could lose a pound or two of draw weight.
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Just checking in here from vacation.  The new design bow is an entirely new design.  The limbs are different and the riser is different.  The new short limbs WILL NOT fit onto our previous risers.

I'm the guy who has been building test bows and test bow molds since 2004, and I can assure you that this new design is the result of years of testing and optimizing.  We could have sold a short bow several years ago but it would not have stored as much energy per pound of draw as this design.  Nor would it have performed as well as this one.

The photos shown are simply of a test riser, but the actual product will look a lot like the one shown.  Our risers have a LOT   of fiberglass in them for strength and so are quite heavy for their size.

In order to maximize the sight window length on this short 12" riser I changed the bolt pattern in order to keep the maximum amount of limb mounting surface while still ensuring precise limb alignment on the longitudinal axis of the bow.  Plus, the limbs are based on an entirely new mold design/shape.  That's why they will not fit onto our previously available risers.  It's an entirely new animal.

I draw 30" when I'm bored and out to 31" when I get excited.  This little 62" (in the photos) felt like a 64" bow to me.  It's smooth, quiet, and easily draws to 30" and even a pinch more if needed.  The 56"-58" bow will be good to 28" and okay out to 29".  The 58" bow will work well out to the 29" range.

Again, this is an entirely new design intended to provide optimum performance to those wanting to use a shorter bow.  This short bow/longer-draw target audience will find the same kind of short/long capability and performance benefits in our new line of 1P bows.

Our original line of bows is still the benchmark by which we judge all of our new bows.  For folks who want the smoothest and best-performing bows and who don't need to scrunch down into a ground blind or wedge themselves into a really tight tree stand, the original line of bows is the way to go.  More risers to choose from and more limb/riser interchangeability.  But for those who need or want a short bow this new product line, the result of YEARS of testing different designs and optimization, will be the right choice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©