3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: to stop or shoot on the move  (Read 614 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: to stop or shoot on the move
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I also like to shoot-em on the move. If they are standing still, they are more apt to catch you when you move.
Definitely not going to give away my postion to the deer, by making any noise.
An alert deer, is a hard deer to kill!
Jim

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
Unless I'm going for a last ditch effort to stop a deer that's moving too fast to get a shot, I would much rather shoot at a relaxed deer, even if walking.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Thinking back, I once had a buck coming in to me right at closing time. I thought he would not see me stand but I was wrong and I spooked him. As he left I heard noise over my right shoulder. Another buck had come in behind me and was on full alert when I looked at him. He started to run so I snort/wheezed at him. He stopped in  his tracks at about 15 yards. In the dim light the lumenok showed me a perfect double lung hit but I hit the offside shoulder and did not get a pass thru. Left him for the night and found him the next morning. This is how I found him. I guess what I am saying is that on a running deer I have had success with the snort/wheeze stopping them.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
If you won't take any shot but a stationary target, you probably don't hunt hogs.  They never stop moving.  You learn what you can or can't make.  Bill

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I take whatever shot I can get. I have had a couple bucks moving faster than I was comfortable with or else would be into cover before I could shoot and I stopped them with a grunt. They never flinched until the arrow hit them. I haven't had a deer jump the string in over 20 years, but a quiet longbow and heavy arrow helps.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Took a 27yd shot at this hog when he trotted by (hogs are pests where I'm from:)). As you can see I did not lead him enough. I was lucky to recover him but would never take a shot at a deer unless it felt just right and moving does not make me feel right.  If he/she keeps moving then they'll live another day and I'll be able to sleep that night    ;)    

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I grunted quietly to a small buck. Next thing I knew he was 6 feet in the air with all 4 wheels spinning.

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
The hardest deer for me to shoot is the one that is staring straight at me.  I have never missed a walking deer, but I have come completely unglued from buck fever in staring contests and lost all sense of control over my form in the process.

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
The best advice you've got so far (by most on here) is why alert a distracted unaware animal.  Focus on the spot you want to hit and don't worry about the fact that its moving.  When doubt yourself and the shot-- Don't take it.  Confidence in your ability is everything.

Patrick

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 04:04:00 AM »
Some times I do,some times I don't.
I'm not stuck on any one method of doing anything when it comes to hunting deer.
I've only ever had one deer jump the string and he was walking when I dropped the string.
He didn't even break his stride,just spun an went back the way he'd come from.
Amazing to watch,but not really the desired result.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
I've shot lots of deer at a slow walk but a standing deer is better for most.I never alert deer by sound.Along time ago I started putting a drop or two of scent on the trail were I want him to to stop.This stops the deer where you want with out alerting him.
  Only compound shooters need to have the deer stoped or gap shooters or someone that uses hte arrow as some kind of a referance not instintive shooters.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I've never really thought about it. I would say since I started hunting with traditional gear most of my deer were moving.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy Steele:
I've shot lots of deer at a slow walk but a standing deer is better for most.I never alert deer by sound.Along time ago I started putting a drop or two of scent on the trail were I want him to to stop.This stops the deer where you want with out alerting him.
  Only compound shooters need to have the deer stoped or gap shooters or someone that uses hte arrow as some kind of a referance not instintive shooters.
You're a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better hunter than I am. I hardly ever pick the right trail a deer will walk down, they always come on the opposite side of the tree I figure on. The drops in the trail deal would never work for me.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I'm with Biggie.  When you grunt-stop a deer, it immediately looks toward the sound.  If you can get them to stop every time without being alert (which the grunt will make them) you are lucky indeed. I'll take a slow walk any day, and much prefer it to a deer looking my way....the recipe for disaster.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
I agree with both the Big Man and George. Why alert any deer to your presence, especially if your a ground hunter like myself.

I practice on moving targets here in my yard and I have no problem taking shots at deer walking by or trotting by under 20 yds. A deer running by....only if the animal is 10 yds or under.

If you watch a few of the early Wensel videos, you will notice Barry and Rick Blase nailing deer as the come running by...BUT..they practiced diligently on those running targets.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
I will either wait for them to stop on their own, or let them keep walking. Back in my "old compound" days, I always stopped them.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Conclusion from the above:  Sometimes grunting works and sometimes it doesn't.  I use it as a last resort to stop a fast moving deer.  Often, because of the noise they're making, they do not immediately know where the grunt came from, though they usually  are more alert when stopped than if they just kept walking by.  Sometimes they well jump the string when stopped like this, but more often than not, they will not.  That being said, I usually take the moving shot if the deer isn't moving too fast and it is fairly close, 15 yards or in.  The farther it is, the less likely I am to take the moving shot.  And, of course, every now and then, they stop on their own -- but not for long during the rut.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I suppose the difference is whether or not you're at full draw when you grunt them to a stop. If you can't hold at full draw, and as a result have to draw after the deer is stopped, grunting at them may not be a good idea. The last thing I'd want is a deer looking at me when I'm trying to draw my bow.

By the time I grunt a deer to a stop, I'm already at full draw and aimed. As soon as they stop they die. But in the end, it's all about knowing what works best for you and the particular animals that you hunt.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
What Biggie said!  :thumbsup:
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
I have never tryed to stop a deer! I shoot when they are walking no matter what my weapon of choice is. Dead deer walking I say. Widow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©