3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Prince of Wales Black Bear  (Read 416 times)

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Prince of Wales Black Bear
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Kinda thinking about a hunt on Prince of Wales Island, Alaska in the Coffman Cove area. Have any of you guys hunted bear on this island near Ketchikan? Any info would be great! Thanks, Charles

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Prince of Wales Black Bear
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
Well look for BIG EARS - doesn't the prince of wales have BIG EARS.....tee hee,

Jer Bear

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Jerry, have you hunted there?

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Nope - hard to get over the cost when I can hunt here for free in the yukon..love to...someday soon though...need to make a good friend with some alaskans...fishing hunting...the scenery

between our to great location yukon/Alaska it's pretty hard to beat

jer Bear

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
Hey Charles, if you can wait a year or 2 I will put you up. Moving there this summer. Well above Anchorage anyway.  :D
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Caleb, how did I wake you up?

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Im always awake man. I met a guy on another website that told me when I move up that he would take me bear hunting on POW. Lemme see if I can get ahold of him and maybe he can give you some info.
Caleb Chambers

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Caleb, Thanks buddy! Anybody else been there?

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
I've only been there once, on the west side.  Try getting in touch with Don Thomas.  He has a home there.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I've been there several times. Things have really changed alot over the years (first time 2001) and then the over the last four years.

Spring bears, most will be rubbed and the hides just aren't that good. They will all have rubbed paws at a minimum, and if that's all you have you're lucky.

The fall bears are fun, but they've just put some pretty weird restrictions for a DIY guy unless you have a boat. You can no longer pack in, or walk the rivers from the road system in Septermber and hunt bears.

Also, as a general FYI, many of the locals there don't really like bear hunters. Take that for what its worth.

Good luck.
How I love Colorado!

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
This is how it looks.  I'm the boat captain.

A buddy with a pumpkin head.  Stalked on the beach.

Mine.  Stalked on the beach.  It ran at me and I shot it again at five yards, then jumped aside.  It's on video.

Be careful out there, though.  Aliens.

So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
I hunted The Prince William Sound,  We were a little late in the season and when the bears stepped out of the avalanche shoots, they just disappeared.  Saw 9 bears in 3 days.  Was in range of 5.  sow and cubs and 2 others.

Some of the biggest bears in the world. Not Kidding either!!!!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
What's that? Bear mixed with a Shar-Pei?
Caleb Chambers

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
it's a Sun Bear from South Asia, they don't grow as large as our black bears and they have a half moon yellowish spot on their chest. I got the this pic and other animal pics in a funny e-mail this week..   Charles, Good luck on your hunt

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
Long time Chad, when ya coming up next?  POW is a hunt I'd like to do also someday soon!  Have yet to shoot a black bear.

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Chad ,on your 4 trips there, how big were the bears you saw,any 20" , 21 inchers? I'm just itching to stalk a big ole bear and tired of sitting over bait. I didn't think baiting was an option in AK.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I live near there, just north and east of Coffman Cove, on Wrangell Island. I go to Coffman Cove sometimes in my boat. I think black bear hunting here or there is similar.
Like the pictures posted already show, a boat is usually involved. In the spring when I have hunted bears, it is a matter of cruising around looking for them on shore, eating new shoots of grass. Then go to shore downwind and out of sight of the bear, and stalk on him. If you can pick out something next to the bear to keep in sight, like a big tree, then orient yourself when ashore, it can be pretty simple. A kill is often close to the boat, which is nice for getting it out.

Spring hunts can be good if you get a bear before it has rubbed a lot. If you want the meat, it is leaner and less fishy which is a plus. I used to make sausage from black bears, but have not done so for several years now.

The tides here from high to low can be over 20ft, so when you leave a boat on shore and go bear hunting, you have to know that, or when you come back, your boat may be aground for the next several hours, or it may have floated off. Best is if someone can drop you ashore and then mind the boat, maybe go offshore a bit and wait (go fishing). If you want a gun backup, that may mean a third person. If the tide is coming in, you may be able to tie the boat off and let it bump the beach for a while if it is not a rough ocean day. Somebody in the party needs to understand a tidebook.
You have to balance the need for a light weight shore boat with the need to get out in big water in Clarence Strait outside of Coffman Cove. Many tow a skiff with motor, behind a bigger boat to have both.

The other alternative on POW is the road system, which is extensive. There are over 1000 miles on POW, some of which is very nicely paved and some of which is rock and potholes. You can get to POW with a vehicle from Ketchkan via the Interisland Ferry, which goes to Hollis, and then you drive up to Coffman. They have cancelled (for now) the northern route from Coffman to Wrangell unfortunately. The forest service in Ketchikan can sell you a good road map, or you can get it on POW from the Forest Service there. You can access a lot of shore with the road with a little effort, as the roads are usually near the beach, but they do vary. A GPS with the map would be useful.
If you go very far into the dense brush here, consider having some colored flagging tape to mark your route out. It is not hard to get lost when you can't see very far. It is also helpful to mark a trail if you are packing something out and want to return right to it for multiple loads.

There are extensive cave formations on POW, some of which are still being explored. The entry pits to some involve a free descent of 100ft. or more and have been found to contain bones of fallen animals. Watch where you step in the brush.

As to the locals not liking bear hunters, there is a potential for a problem. However, I think traditional archers can easily show the respect for the animals and communities that common sense indicates. The problem is that the locals can sometimes identify more with the bears who live here than the hunters who come and go, but some sensitivity to the issues goes a long way. In these small towns everybody knows everybody else, so you will not go unnoticed, but being courteous and respectful does not go unnoticed either. I think we on TradGang know this by and large, but realize the locals have had their share of arrogant others to deal with, who leave with boxes of meat and fish. If you aren't a guide or a lodge owner, you may not see where it has helped you any, and that there is that much less in the woods and ocean for you to catch. I think there is room for outside hunters, and it is a part of the economy, but it helps if you appreciate the other side of it too, and try to acknowledge that you are in a special place having special experience. Give it some thought and you will be OK.  ;)  

Hope that helps. PM me if I can help.

Walt

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
The trips I've associated with, several 20+ inch bears were killed, but none over 21. POW is not what it used to be, and you really need to get away (translates to boats)if you want to get on a big bear.

The research i've done, the 80s and early 90's when the island didn't have much pressure is when one could see truly huge bears.

If you go, I wouldn't wear anything camo on the way there, and use a fish box to get your hide home. When I went 9 years ago, I never felt any bad vibes from the local people, but as of late, I cannot say that.

Good luck
How I love Colorado!

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the information! Charles

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©