3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fixing Wood Arrow Shafts  (Read 444 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Fixing Wood Arrow Shafts
« on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
I always thought that you could not repair a broken arrow. Now I don't mean broken in half but a crack or fracture lengthwise. Then I met a guy at the range who showed me some arrows he repaired - glued with epoxy and clamped.

Well I didn't even want to stand to near but he shot them over and over from a 60# bow and told me some were fixed a year ago.

Is he just lucky? I don't have many cracked arrows and not sure I want to chance this, but just wondering if anyone here has fixed an arrow successfully.

Thanks
sam

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fixing Wood Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »
Sam;
Are wood arrow shafts so expensive that you would risk hurting yourself, by repairing a broken shaft.
I wouldn't risk my hide.
I know a guy that has never lost an arrow, he will spend hours looking for a lost arrow, rake up a half an acre, give me a break. Somethings are just not worth the effort. Repairing wood arrows would have to be at the top of the list.
Jim

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
My Opinion?  BREAK That BAD BOY, and Call it A LOSS!!    :thumbsup:  Personal Safety call for  YOU  Sam! Better sticking out of the Scrap/Kindling Box, than out of  YOUR ARM!!  Of course, cabbage as much as you can save off of the Shaft before ya Trash it, Feathers (Exacto-Knife) Point (Stumper?) & Nock, Unless the Nock is Cracked.  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
If you don't care about your own safety, think of those around you.
The risk isn't worth the reward.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
In general, a glue joint is stronger than the wood around it.  I'd add a foot to a shaft with a broke off point, but I'm not shooting a split shaft no matter how much glue is in it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
It really only takes a miniscule fault in a wooden shaft to increase the chance of breakage. After decades of shooting woods I had one explode before it got free of the bow and I’ll not go into any details here, but I’ve learned to be far more diligent with checking my equipment.

I have no more reservation with breaking an arrow in my hands than getting into a shooting contest at rocks with my friends…it’s a small cost when compared to the rewards. Besides, coffee cans with the feathered ends of shafts sticking out give a bit more color to my surroundings. Of course, my outlook on owning arrows is also a matter of experience and fulfilling childhood dreams…I’m not going to run out anytime soon. Rick.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 02:34:00 AM »
The problem with a crack in POC is getting glue into the full length, nearly impossible. All arrows can develop problems. I was standing close to someone that was shooting aluminum, and for some unknown reason it broke on release and the point when through his hand. No one saw it happen, just the sound and cursing that followed.
Footing a broken shaft is one thing, fixing a crack is crazy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
You can build a new arrow everyday.  Its harder to do with splinters or a shaft sticking out of your hand or arm.
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I've thrown away arrows that have been creased by other arrows. It is possible that the glue joint is stronger than the surrounding area. It's that surrounding area I'd be very worried about. Those wood fibers are damaged goods. This isn't a static piece of furniture. It will oscillate every time it is shot. It will likely fail if shot  enough .
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
It depends on where the damage is for me. If I do a slight robin hood and have a 1" crack at the nock, I remove the nock, spread the tiny crack, apply super glue and clamp the cracked area. Apply new nock and I keep shooting, never had a failure with this type of repair.

If the damage is anywhere from the back of the feathers to the point, the arrow gets broken across my leg.

If it is only the point end of the shaft broken I use a reprarrow footing and restore it to the proper length.

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
...thats why God grows new trees ...so we can make new arrows. Get good at it before you walk through the gates !!!
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
I would'nt but if it was a homemade arrow[primitive]but never a wooden shaft.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Scrap it not worth getting hurt or some one else.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks Brothers.
I always thought the same but figured maybe I missed something new. Kind of worried me standing very close to the guy, but he said he's been doing it for years and never had a problem.
I have a basket of broken/damaged shafts that I use for spare parts - feathers tips etc. They make nice plant stakes too!

I think I'll stick to using sound shafts. Never had a sound shaft break in my hands but kind of nasty to hear that could happen too. Every time you get out of bed I guess you take some chances, lol.

Let's all be safe and well in 2010. Good shootin

sam

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
How in the world could a guy have the POINT of an arrow go through his hand if the arrow broke--unless he over drew so far...Nope. Not even then. I don't get it.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Depends on where the break is........reparrow is perfect for repairing breaks behind the point.
And footing has been the standard for hundreds of years.
What's the fuss guys?

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm saving the arrows broken behind the point to foot later, when I acquire the time.
The cracked shaft is a horse of a different color. I'm saving those to use as pegs in the Pine wall for hanging my bows and quivers, and I'm leaving the fletching on.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Here is what I would do, break it in half, smell the cedar and throw it in the trash - if it's not cedar, don't bother smelling it.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I don't think I have ever "cracked" an arrow. I have broken lots of them but most were broken by the point of the arrow and I keep them and cut them down for my kids to shoot.

I have "split" some but it never would have even occured to me to even try to save them as they were in two seperate pieces.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
I read this post earlier today, and thought, Well I'm crazy!

Nothing new to people who know me.

I have and probably will repair split, cracked and broke arrows. Who said something about furnitue, static wood, Uhhhh! Laminated bows, glued, not static?  :help:  

I have been shootin, and killed a squirrel with an arrow that was split at Cloverdale, at the ariel launcher this past summer!

Cedar, split down the nock, almost full length.
Titebond glue and new nock!

If your standing next to me at the bales this
summer, and I pull out an arrow with red fletch......RUNNNNNNNNN  :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©