3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fixing Wood Arrow Shafts  (Read 443 times)

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fixing Wood Arrow Shafts
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to tell you, I will be shootin one of those "Skinny" strings at probably 269ft a sec. Super quiet, so when it hits, it will be all over in no time!

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Right
These arrows were split lengthwise. Kind of odd in a way you would think the split would be at one end or the other but they looked like a fracture. Long split with one side open. If you looked close at some (he had 2 or 3- I mean he was shooting some good arrows too) you could see the line where they were glued. He told me he used a 2 part epoxy.

If the tip or nock cracks, I'll fix those as long as it's not too deep. That's different. first of all the point or the nock holds them closed and protects them. But I'm not talking about a little split like that. I'm talking like more than half the length.

sam

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
I had a "hanger" in a target last year and another arrow took a little diagonal chunk out of it about 6" from the point maybe 1/2" long by 1/8" deep.  I used a jeweler saw and cut two diagonal cuts down the the base of the gouge and filed the bottom smooth.  I then cut and filed a matching piece of cedar arrow and epoxied it into the gouge and clamped it.  After dry I dressed it down to the shaft and put some finish on it.  I've been shooting it over a year and it's taken some abuse.  I'm not cheap but like a little challenge.

I wouldn't try a serious split though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
If I "Robin Hood" one, and the break is clean from the nock down a few inches, I can repair it with super glue. I've done quite a few that way. I won't do it unless the split-off piece comes completely off, so that I can glue the whole break, and then put the new nock over the end of the split.

I'm cheap, but careful.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
after mine break they become plant steaks.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I cut them and make bow and quiver holders out of the ends
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Ssamac, my arrow was split almost half the length. If your not sure, split it the rest of the length, glue back. I have done this also.

Like reddoge, I like a challenge, too! I first tried this after footing together two broken shafts, after reading a how-to article.

Yes, there is always a risk, but just look at the post of the bow that broke at the handle. And what about finger spliced selfbows?

If your comfortable with the mating surfaces and glue, should'nt be a problem.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©