3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2010 tradganger elk hunt (update)  (Read 437 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
2010 tradganger elk hunt (update)
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
howdy all...i have a serious question to ask everyone that was planning on coming to this hunt.i just saw on the news last night that this is an elnino year here,this is not very promising.the last two elnino years were hell on the hunting grounds.very dry,no fires allowed at all.some forests are closed down completely for risk of fire.california is getting our rain as is the case in elnino years.my fear is that we get to close to the season to wait another year for this hunt.people are out vacation time,airfare,etc,etc...i need help here guys...deciding what route to take...we need to decide now what to do not wait until the middle of august or so.this is just my opinion but i do live here and have been to burns twice during elnino and i swore i'd never do it again.i will be watching the ocean currents carefully.we are allready way below normal on mt hood for snow,its pretty much a given that how mt hood goes so goes the rest of the state.plus the east side of the state is historically more dry than the west.desert dude and joe d...you guys are more than likely going into the eagle caps with me and a couple other tradgangers.gonna cost me more money but it is what it is.i'll pay the difference.the caps should be ok if we hunt the river bottoms by a place loaded with sign.not everyone that wanted to go on this hunt can go into the caps (money wise) its 1100.00 per hunter just to get packed in plus license and tag for out of staters just shot over the moon to around 800.00.....lot of money.i'm literally sick about this and need some input.i promised good hunting and thats what you get in a normal year but not elnino years.i need input...if you dont know what elnino is just google it and you'll see. cali is getting our rain and we are warm and dry allready,almost like winters gone here allready....  :help:    :help:    :help:    :help:    :help:  WE NEED TO DECIDE THIS SOON.i really dont like this at all...feel like crap and really want this hunt to work,i have allready got a lot of time invested in this....maybe a vote?  :pray:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2010 tradganger elk hunt (update)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Some of the experts are saying that the storms we are getting at this time are what they call a Yukon express. 200 mph jet streem that is comming, well from the north. A normal elnino the storms come from the south. Im not saying thats its not a elnino year but that this set of storms are not. I would say lets keep an eye on it for a month or two.

What happens to the hunting during these times, does it just get real bad or just hot. Californias deer season starts in july and its not uncomon to be 105 degrees
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
gets real dry and we run the risk of the forest being completely shut down to vehicles period.no fires,no green grass,very little water.i think the elk head down low to where the alfalfa is or something.rut seems to be delayed because of the heat.cant speak for the entire state just what i have seen.if forest service says no hunting we are screwed.not a call i want to make on my own.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
i did not realize those storms were coming from the north wtpops.just checked it out.

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Larry, I'll support any outcome. If it means waiting another year, so be it. The call is in your hands when it comes to my vote. Maury is my ride up their and I'm sure he feels the same.

No worries here....

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
we can wait for a couple months and see how it looks i guess.from my experience its not very fun to hunt elk in.no grass means the elk migrate further and move more often searching for feed.boils down to a crap shoot pretty much.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:00 AM »
Wait until at least June to make a decision.

Mother Nature has a way of changing her mind.

Larry, you and I went up there in June last year and it was greened up good and the hunt was great. Go back this year in the middle of June and make a decision then.

That leaves over 2 months for people to get prepared.

Just my $0.02.

But then again, I only plan to hunt with you guys a couple of days. I'm going elk hunting elnino or no-elnino.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:35:00 AM »
Hey rick it's not me doing the blowing ok  :bigsmyl:  

Jer Bear

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
ElNino's seem to run in cycles every seven years, and I remember a few that where short, while others hard on everything. It comes with a change in the Pacific Ocean currents, changing the temperatures out there, the Jet Stream, direction of wind, rain and overall weather patterns. Waiting a few months until more is known might be okay.  But, Larry is right if it is hot and dry like some, the Forest Service and shut down the forests to all hunting, fishing etc. to avoid the fire danger.  Keep your fingers crossed.  :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
Damn,so you are saying that nobody can carry a bow that smokes a arrow.LOL
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Larry, you live there, you make the decision. OK by me regardless. I don't know squat about the western weather so it's your call.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Damn,so you are saying that nobody can carry a bow that smokes a arrow.LOL
Now that's funny!     :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
I agree with leatherneck.  The sooner we decide the better because of flights and vacation time but I won't loose sleep about 2010 or 2011.  I appreciate your efforts and concern, and felix's smoking arrow.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
lets wait until june first and i'll head to burns and check the grass situation.paul....last year was a perfect year for the area,nice and green with lots of elk.wish every year was like that.cross your fingers guys and hope for the best.we could always hunt the coast range but thats steep and brushy and this would not be very fun either.....i have one more area that may be good...mt hebo on the oregon coast has some decent hunting grounds with lots of newer logging units.i always hunt the fire trails for tracks and such...find sign then hunt it hard.i really hope this elnino crap goes away quick.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I'll be in the cap come hell or no water.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
yup

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Well, I want to hunt and book flights if thats possible.  I'm used to coming home without animals and just looking forward to the experience with yall and my curve.  Is it possible to just plan to hunt that unit and book everything regardless and if that unit won't work out, hunt another ?  Thanks

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I'm going too just play it by ear but, either way, I'll be out there. Guess it will just all depend on where.   :rolleyes:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
I hunted through a couple of El Nino weather patterns in Washington State.  We did well if the forest was open.  Sometimes we had only mornings too hunt and had to be out of the woods at noon.

Killed a bunch of elk though.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
The weatherman is only correct 25% of the time predicting tomarrows weather. No chance I'd consider useing their predictions months in advance to base a decision on hunting.
Life is waaaay to short for that.
My opinion only.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©