3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool hunting clothes- dry clean or buy washable?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool hunting clothes- dry clean or buy washable?
« on: January 07, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
I am wanting to know your thoughts on wool hunting clothes. If you dry clean your wool does it leave a chemical smell that can spook deer? Do you leave the garment outside to let odors fade...or let a little campfire smoke absorb into it?
For you that have washable wool: do they stand up to repeated washings? Thanks for replying.

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool hunting clothes- dry clean or buy washable?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Charles:
I use the KOM wool that is washable and really like it. Since dry cleaning uses chemicals I can't imagin there is not an odor, or how long it would take to fade away if it ever does. The KOM is not cheep, however I'm sure it will last longer than I will be able too use it.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I use KOM and Autumwood wool and haven't had any trouble washing it, though I don't wash it very often.  Have also washed other wools without them shrinking.(Hand wash or gentle cycle in the washer in cool water with Woolite.  Block and/or hang to dry.)  Wool doesn't retain odor very much, other than its own sometime, and an airing out for a day or so usually leaves them fresh/odorless.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
Sleeping Indian here.  Never wash it.  Hang it to air out in the sun.  Dried mud etc will flake and come right off.  They go in the cedar chest after airing out.
Otto

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
wool is a magical thing...I believe its fibers make you "fuzzy" shaped to critters...not starkly outlined...I believe its more muted than cottons or manmade materials in the way it appears, reflects sunlight, etc, and that is also helpful.

all wool, as Orion said, can be gentle cycle washed in cold water and woolite, and blocked to dry.

Dry cleaners use a chemical called PERK that is a carcinogen and does have an odor. Even if you cannot smell it (when they do it right at the dry cleaners) deer and other critters will pick it up..and if the DC does it wrong its even easy for you to smell it.

I wash my stuff once a year after season and block it up on towels and then outside to dry and it doesnt shrink.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
The KOM does fine after repeated washings.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
I use grey wolf stuff.  You can wash it no problem. I've had a coat for about 8 years.  It still looks like brand new, and I wear it hunting ALOT!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Washable woolrich wool, wash delicate cycle, woolite, air dry [hang on line for a few hours]

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
What do you guys mean by "block it up"?

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
blocking is the same thing you do with a sweater...you lay it out on a towel on a flat surface and shape it to its normal look, let the towel soak up some of the water- if you hang wet wool garments the weight of the water tends to 'drag' them out long....stretch their shape downward due to gravity when hanging on the line, so you block it up on a towel to get some of the water out before you hang it outside to dry the balance of the way.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Slim Buttes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
Most people don't know this, but wool is self cleaning. Wear it in nasty wet cold weather and do it every year.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
Don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone used the legacy wool with dry plus thinsulate from Cabela's, I'm trying to decide on what to buy.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:10:00 PM »
I was thinking of getting that dry plus wool from Cables. But the thing about that and Goretex is that it doesn't breath as well as they say it does. One of the great things about wool is that it controls perspiration so well, i hate to mess that up with the dry plus.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52:00 PM »
I have an uninsulated wool Hidden Wolf Parka, pants, and bomber hat. I wash them once a year at the end of the year. I've had them for about 5 years. I use these archery hunting from 35-50 degrees.

I have a set of Weatherby Parka and pants in 27oz for when it gets really cold. Not this year, yet! I'll use these archery hunting from 0-40 degrees.

I picked up a set of wool/fleece underwear called Woolpower for Christmas last year. This stuff is great as a bottom layer.

I have a 30 oz wool sweaters that I have picked up at Hidden Wolf years ago for on the river duck hunting, etc.

I love wool for any cold weather hunting or fishing. It is especially great if it gets wet because it still will retain body heat.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
wash it in cold water- lay it in the sun to dry.

Its the heat cycle on the dryer that has shrunk a million things to 10 sizes smaller.

I have not tried this to specifically CLEAN wool; but while hunting I have fallen through the ice and gotten WET while wearing wool. And I know you can take it off and hang it up or lay it in the snow until it freezes- then bang it against a tree until the ice crystals have fallen off- and it will be dry when you put it back on. Use a fire to keep you warm until the wool is frozen.
 ( don't try this at home!)   :bigsmyl:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Now THAT'S the voice of experience talkin' right there, Brian! You're right, though, I DON'T want to try THAT one at home for sure!!!! When it gets 40 degrees around here I get to shiverin'  :scared:

Offline Jeff Hren-Renegade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »
I have wool that is supposed to be dry cleaned. I use Sent free soap, wash in cold water, gentle cycle, & DO NOT DRY in a drier!!! Let it dry on the back of a chair or something But Do not put it in the drier!!!!
  I have done this the last 3 years to the same wool & it is holding up Great & no shrinkage.
 Good Luck.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
I have done the same thing with some of my wool . If ya think about it , it doesnt shrink up every time you get rained on , so as long as you dry it SLOWLY you should be able to wash in cold water
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
If you are wanting to stay dead quiet stay away form the cabelas wool with dry plus..If working at cabelas has taught me one thing it is dry plus, goretex or any other waterproof liner is going to be noisy. They just havent figured it out yet in anything cabelas sells anyway..just my 2 cents

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
KOM for 5 years now and I don't wash often,I just let them dry if I get mud on them and dust it off. I just hang mine out to air out and they are good to go. I love mine.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©