3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradtional only elk unit?  (Read 169 times)

Offline Houska

• Trad Bowhunter
Tradtional only elk unit?
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Are there any states that offer a traditional only elk unit? I seem to remember (several years ago)someone telling me about it. I can't remember where though.  PM me if you like.

Thanks
Matt Houska

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradtional only elk unit?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I thought Idaho had a traditional/primitive season a few years back but I thought they changed it back.

I remember thinking how cool that sounded but then was disappointed a few years later when I read  they got rid of it.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
'Tis true guys, we don't have trad hunts anymore much to the chagrin of some of us that are residents.  I have been to many public info sessions where the Fish & Game Dept. explains the next seasons plans and takes comments.  In Idaho, there are seven regions with many hunt units per region.  My request was to give us one unit (at least) per region for trad hunts during bow hunting or M/L seasons.  That left a whole lotta area for the non-trad folks to go.

The no wheels and cables, ATV's and limited road access idea sounded pretty good to me!  Apparently, there are those who spoke loudly against the trad seasons and they are no more.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
Canyon Creek in unit 46 in Eastern Orgeon that offers trad only ANY ELK from 08/28-09/03.
Take care
Bob

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
The idea got kicked around quite a bit a few years ago, all right, but it never really got off the ground.  The trad community here has just never been big enough or powerful enough to accomplish such a thing even though some of us would like to have seen it. It wound up being pretty devisive to the bowhunting groups in general and I think everyone finally agreed to just forget it.  For as admittedly small an impact as the traditional hunters have in terms of game harvest it always seemed to me that it would be a great idea that wouldn't really hurt anyone, but that was not how the compounders saw it.  In truth, the game department doesn't even regard traditional harvest as an accurate management tool. They gear seasons based on rifle hunters that have a more predictable rate of success.  I believe that Oregon did have a couple of zones designated as traditional only at one time, but I heard that they weren't that great in terms of animal density - don't know if they still exist.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
sure would like a trad only season here in Co.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
YEP, what BobL said.   :thumbsup:  I was thinking of looking into that unit and maybe heading over that way depending on what goes on with the 2010 Trad Elk hunt.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©