3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF Explanation?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF Explanation?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »
Joe , Not yet they are hard to come by.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Yea i know i have been looking for some for months.

Im going to stick with those copperhead skins i sent you, i like those skins as good as the others.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Another big vote for Bob's wood ILF risers.
I just bought this one last Tues.
16" Med Grip
Zebrawood/Black Phenolic

Going on it are TT Black Max CarbonWood limbs.

Just got back from the PO.  Not yet.  Next Monday probably.

Thanks for the help on the riser Bob.  :thumbsup:  
Very much looking forward to it.
Gene Charbonneau
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
Gene, I picked up a set of the Black Max Carbon woods. Did some speed tests, 50# @ 26"  450Gr. 9gpp. 185-185 fps. Smooth pull. VG limb $220.
I'm putting a set of skins on them, should be interesting.

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Bob

I was thinking about some of your skins to dress up those all black limbs..lol

I may be in touch again sooner than you think.  :archer:  

Keep up the good work.

Gene
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
gene i'm GREEN with envy i was eyeballing that riser hoping for some money to shake loose . that is a beaut.

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Steve   :thumbsup:
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
Man you have got to get some copperhead skins to go with that riser, that thing is a beauty.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Joe

Your right!

I think the copperheads would be just the right look.
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for the update. Been busy here, too, but not makin money...just staying alive!  :)

Spring works. Just don't wait too long lest something happen to THIS job and then I'll get goofy and think I can't afford the conversion!   :eek:    :rolleyes:    :saywhat:  

Keep me posted... and thanks!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
i am not sure how to answer the question about the difference between the Morrison and the Winex. When I got my DAS I  had limited choices as the trad community had not yet warmed up to the ILF concept and metal risers. I shot some Hoyt G3's on my original DAS but had alreads special ordered the Winex as recommended by Dave Soza. When they arrieved they hands down out shot the Hoyt's. So many new US bowyers are now making the ILF option that I could not possibly know the difference in the limbs....I just know that the Winex are the best I ever shot. I had Sid from Border make me a Warf on a Black Bear riser with his HEX 4 limbs, again, before Bob and others got the ILF thing going. Those HEX 4 limbs were outstanding shooters so when I decided to drop in weight i found that the Winex were no longer being made so I called Sid and we emailed a lot about his HEX 5 limbs. I wish I had a set of Bob's to compare but I just went with what I knew. I suspect that one of Bob's risers may be in my future as I still have my 60# winex limbs and they just might come down in weight if I put them on a longer riser. Time will tell.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
The last couple posts bring another question to mind...

Are ILF bows TD's in the classic sense that you can take them apart, travel, assemble them when you arrive (w/o re-adjusting) and head out into the field?
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Yep TD without movign a bolt or screw
Just snap apart.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
ttt
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
Yep TD without movign a bolt or screw
Just snap apart.

Mike
I'm liking the sound of this system more & more every post. Have 7MM Mag I don't shoot much in the safe, it might have to go bye-bye for an ILF bow. Thanks...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
keep in mind that there is usually a shooting style difference between a ilf wooden riser and ilf metal riser. the ilf wooden risers are getting closer to metal ilf geometry.  

for example Morrison's first riser (not sure about current risers) shot exactly like my wooden "instinctive" riser.  same cant, same feel, same sight picture, so the fact that you were shooting ilf fixture was not really evident when shooting.  

as the wooden riser become stiffer and cut more past center, you will have to understand more about riser geometry when you are ordering a riser.  that is are you an instinctive shooter that want to cant your bow and shoot with split vison or poke and hope,  or your a real "rod jenkins gapper and thus a serious aimer, or you a dead serious aimer as in string walker or sight shooter.  

alas one riser does not exactly fit all styles as well as another one does.  as the choices get more defined, you will have to be more involved with your bowyer, discussing your shooting style and the geometry you need.

the reason as of a few months ago wooden riser could not be cut as far past center as metal riser was they were not strong (or stiff) enough.  stiffing as in carbon or glass has to be added to a wooden riser so it will not torque from the draw stress.  the side window part of the riser may have to be thickened (micarta added, etc) to get a wooden riser to shoot the same style as a metal ilf riser.  

rusty

rusty

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
All three of my Morrison ILF risers are cut past center Rusty. In fact I had to block out the 20 riser that I'm studying right now, it may have been set up for really fat arrows. But you can always turn one back into a longbow riser by padding the strike plate with leather until it is a cut to center again.
One of the big issues with these ILF risers is the Berger button. It is more difficult to drive tacks off the shelf but you can switch arrows at will without adjustments. The Berger button is very accurate and forgiving, I used to break arrows all the time shooting with a button.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
artifaker1 - good points.  there is choices regrading the buger button also.  want to shoot off the shelf with a plunger or off an elavated rest?  I personally think all the choices are wonderful.  it has taken us 40 yrs to get to almost where trad archery was before the compound came along.  trad archer in the States of the 80's, 90's and early 20's was such a narrow slice of what it was in the early 70's.

rusty

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Yes, that is an interesting option, shooting off the shelf with a button. When I shot with a button it was with a magnetic rest on a bear takedown riser. Those metal min-14 risers would be set up for that, but they are much too short for me. I've been shooting the 20" a lot lately, no finger pinch there for sure. It is a little heavy though (texas ebony), but a good tournament riser.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©