3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: disappointing day in the woods....ripped off!  (Read 1223 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
disappointing day in the woods....ripped off!
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Finally had a day with not too much rain and decided to head to my brother-in-law's property and get my stands down and do some post season scouting. 60 acres of hardwood ridges and ravines that I have hunted for over 15 years and have never had an issues with anyone bothering me or my stands.
Got all of my hang-on stands on the east side  down and to the truck and decided to hit the west edge of the property to drop my remaining hang-on and check the ladder stand. GONE! A gorilla hang-on and 6 gorilla sticks and a 15' ladder stand. First time I have ever taken down stand this early since no one has ever messed with any of them, but I am laid off from work and needed to get outside and get my mind off of the lack of finances. Not only am I not working,  I just had some low life hit me for about $200 worth of gear!! I am not a happy camper right now!
I put the word out to the neighbors that it would be a good thing if my stands showed back up at the property, but there's not much chance in that happening. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to vent! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: disappointing day in the woods....ripped off!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
thats tough mike.i feel for ya bud.

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
Get used to it. I lost two 15' ladder stands this year on a MN property that is in the boonies. I really think guys are starting to cruise the snowmobile trails and take what they can grab easily.

Very frustrating, but you are hearing of more and more of this low life stuff.

Tim

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Get used to it. I lost two 15' ladder stands this year on a MN property that is in the boonies. I really think guys are starting to cruise the snowmobile trails and take what they can grab easily.

Very frustrating, but you are hearing of more and more of this low life stuff.

Tim

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
I feel bad for you.  I had the same thing happen a few years ago on private property, only I found out opening morning.  It pretty much spoiled my opener!  We had a forum from the local newspaper, so I posted that I was ripped off and that the thief probably didn't notice my trail cam near by and that I was having the film developed and planned on pressing charges (I didn't really have a trail cam then).  I wrote that the person ought to man up and return my gear.  Lo and behold, I went to my tree 2 days later and my stand and climbing stick were placed nicely under my tree.  In hindsight, I guess I was lucky.  I hope that you have a similar result.  And best wishes on your job search.  That is tough.
ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
There is not much worse than a dirty lazy thief..

Would you just love to catch them in the act? LOL
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Mike I feel ya,my dad and i hunted the same property for years.always felt we were safe leaving our stands.A couple of years ago we had two stands stolen and a trail cam(all chained and pad locked to trees).I dont know what to say man other than there are some low lifes out there.it still leaves a sour tast in my mouth when I think about it.And it has nothing to do with the cost of the equipment.Its the principal!All we can do is thank god for the good honest people.I do believe there are more of them in the world than bad ones.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey Inn8hunter,
It's pretty hard to imagine that someone would steal a 15" ladder stand.  I buy them on clearance for $40.00.  Hardly worth getting caught and arrested (or much worse if I caught them!) for forty bucks.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
The sad thing is like ronp said 40 bucks.If a guy needed a stand that bad I would have given him one.I dont think people steel them because the need them I think they just take them to be jerks.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I have to agree, Scott.  I would have given an honest person a stand, or at least loaned him/her one.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I feel for ya! I just recently lost my job and with nobody hiring thing's are gonna get tight. I can't stand when sombody works for somthing and some sucker just walk's up and takes it. That crap ticks me off!! Jason

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
That really sucks Mike!!! It has been awhile since it happened to me but in the past I have had several tree stands and a game cart stolen right in the middle of my own property. I hope thing turn around for you soon!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Mike, I feel for you.  It seems like every couple of years, one of my LoneWolf Alpha hang-ons get lifted.  I should also say that everyone one of my stands have super heavy-duty cable locks on them, including the climbing sticks.  They must be highly motivated to climb up there with a hack saw and saw through that thick cable.

I'd never wish anyone harm......but....it wouldn't make me feel too bad to hear about someone accidently falling while trying to steal one of my stands.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Never gonna change people.  I bet if you watch craigslist you will find stands for sale, real cheap too. people claim they don't need them anymore.  

I had a buddy who had all his stands cleared off his private property, his dad went through and put up the glow pins to the stands, we assume the theives were out shining deer and decided to follow the glow tacks.

I understand but don't agree if it happens on public property, but private property, not only are they staeling, they are tresspassing too.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Yep! It does not set well with anyone who has any morals.
I lost a ground blind off of private property last year. I reported it stolen but got the results I expected..nothing.

I pray things turn around for you and others that are in the job market.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
The thieves around here don't bother with hacksaws, they use portable sawsall! The price of scrap, the easy market for stands, they will get you no matter how hard you try. If they can't steal it they will destroy just to "show" you. Sorry for your loss Mike, hopefully they get some kind of payback down the road.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss. Hope someone has a change of heart and brings them home.   :banghead:

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
I feel your disappoint,really sorry for that.For sure they are not TGangers.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad luck, man. I know the feeling.

I have a two-man ladder stand that is locked with a heavy cable in the woods right now. I was thinking about putting a sign on it that reads, "Please do not use this stand. There is a hidden trail camera located nearby that is taking pictures of this stand location". Has anyone ever done this before and do you think it would it work?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
Yes I had a ladder stand stolen by a bunch slobs who pretend to be hunters. They also tore up the landowners roads. I had a talk with the owner and he said they wouldn't be back. Nothing I hate worse than a thief.LCH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©