3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast flight string  (Read 184 times)

Offline johnnyc

• Trad Bowhunter
Fast flight string
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question since I normall post in the history/collecting, but I have a question on FF string in a newer longbow for a friend.  His concern is that Fast Flight will make a bow wear down and not last as long. This is a newer bow with tips set up for FF.
  He was wanting to do away with the ff.
I don't have a clue about FF string, so I was wondering if there is any basis to this?
  If he pulls off the FF, will there be any benefit to bow longevity and will it significantly slow the bow down?
Thanks in advance

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast flight string
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I've seen absolutely no proof of a (properly made) FF string causing any extra wear on a properly made bow.  I've been using FF type strings on my longbow for the last 15 years or so--never had a dacron string on it.  Rod Jenkins puts more shots through a bow in a year than most will in a lifetime, and he hasn't had any problems.

Usually if you switch to dacron from FF, especially on a longbow, you'll notice increased handshock.  You'll also notice a lot more stretch/creep in the string, and decreased durability compared to most FF materials (I can think of a few exceptions).

Chad

Offline will123

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast flight string
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
I agree with LBR. If a longbow or any bow is made for fast flight(reinforced tips) the bow will last as long as a bow with dacron.
The bows are made for it so why won`t you take advantage of it. The bow shoots faster and has lesser handshock.
Das Elite
Black Widow PMA X

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©