3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this enough?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this enough?
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Is a 400gr arrow at 165-170fps enough for deer out to 20-25yds from a well tuned set-up?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Absolutley, uncategorically not.   :rolleyes:  

Of course it is!   :knothead:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
Depends on your Bow weight at your draw length.As Fred Bear always specified at least 10 grns. of arrow weight per bow pound i.e. 50# draw wgt. = 500 grn arrow with broadhead.I preferr weight forward as in brass insert to bump up the arrow weight.You can also use a heavier brodhead instead of 125 grn.

Again,this is just my two cents!

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Why does the bow weight matter?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline customcrester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Can a deer be killed with it,Yes.The question is should you?To get the best penatration from an arrow you should be shooting at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight.If you ad high front of center weight to the arrow you will get even better penatration.Alway shoot a good strong sharp broadhead.
"As long as the arrows still in the air there's hope"

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I used to shoot 430grain arrows in that speed range and killed everything I shot with it(a few deer and a few HUGE pigs) exits or passthroughs on everything, ranges under 20yds

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Why does bow weight matter?

It doesn't at all.
A 400gn arrow from a 50# bow is just as effective as a 400gn arrow from a 40# bow.

Every one seems hung up on the 10GPP thing. A 400gn arrow is a 400gn arrow. Out of a 50# bow it's relative weight is 8gpp, out of a 40# bow it's 10gpp. However, it's still a 400gn arrow!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by SPLITSHAFT:
Can a deer be killed with it,Yes.The question is should you?To get the best penatration from an arrow you should be shooting at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight.If you ad high front of center weight to the arrow you will get even better penatration.Alway shoot a good strong sharp broadhead.
So, your saying that if I shoot a 40# bow the arrow would be fine, but if I shoot a 50# bow it'd be ineffective????? Physics kinda passed you by didn't it?

PBS & TBT Member

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Hit a bone and your shot will not penetrate very well.  Ramp that weight up over 10 gpp or higher and put some weight up front.  Lots of guys won't tell you about all the bad hits and lost animals they have in their hunting history.  Light arrows can and will kill deer.  If you form is bad, arrows don't fly perfectly, you hit a bone,..................................  You will have a wounded animal that is lost/  Totally not worth it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
  Ramp that weight up over 10 gpp or higher and put some weight up front..
If he's shootng a 40# bow, it already is  ;)

PBS & TBT Member

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
"If you form is bad, arrows don't fly perfectly, you hit a bone,.................................. You will have a wounded animal that is lost/ Totally not worth it."

Getting to 10ggp won't fix any of that.  If you hit them right your set up will kill deer. If you hit them bad, nothings ok.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    

..and if he's shooting 33# then his arrow is 12gpp...which is overkill, right?     :biglaugh:  

Seriously, it doesn't matter what the poundage is or what the gpp is....a 400 grain arrow traveling 170fps with a sharp bh will kill a deer when it's put in the goodies.

Mike

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
I since have increased my arrow weight to around 600grains for my 50# bow, for different reasons. Mostly because the High FOC helped accuracy and arrow flight with a bad release....BUT the 430grains worked just fine.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
This set up would be for my daughter. These numbers are from her bow. Didn't give the bow weight as that causes all sorts of arguments. These are real world numbers, not hypotheticals.
Amazing how it gets back to draw weight.
Rob,
my physics agree w/ yours, hence, no draw weight listed,not applicable
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Don't even worry about it  :D  Take her out & enjoy some time in the woods. If a deer presents itself & she feels comfortable & confident in the shot, it'll be an awesome memory for the both of you!

PBS & TBT Member

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm pretty accurate with my 9 to 10 grains per pound, and the question is how far does the arrow need to go after it passes through the deer.  I did notice the other day however that my arrow was striking 1/4" to the left at forty-five yards.  I think it was a bow are issue.

Perfect arrow flight will trump weight in nearly every case, unless of course you are dropping a bowling ball on their heads from your tree stand.
Sharp broadhead....perfect arrow flight, and learn to use the search button.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
When I was talking to the steel force rep at Denton Hill he said that one of his heads has set a record for lowest poundage deer kill I think it was in Mich. it was 22lbs I think he said. Thats even less than I would like to see anyone use I think 35lbs can work if done right that is my state PA limit. But lbs is not what you asked you asked about speed and that is what realy matters weight of the arrow and the speed it is traveling yes I think that is going to kill a deer. Widow

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Greaseman...not that it matters but Bear used 9 grains per pound according to an interview that he gave which is covered in Dick Lattimer's book about him.

400 grains is plenty for deer.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
400 gr. is plenty for deer and your grains per pound does equate to hunting but It's more important in assuring that your arrow absorbs all the bows energy.  that way it's not like dry firing your bow.  However a higher gpp will penetrate better to a point.  Regardless of your gpp if you hit a bone you're gonna get poor penetration, period.

Sorry for the rant.  In short, 400 gr. is fine.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
George your post earlier today fits this thread to a "T".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©