3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quiet and beautiful place to hunt  (Read 378 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Quiet and beautiful place to hunt
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Ok guys, I need some suggestions. I am not asking for your private honey holes just some general suggestions.
If you wanted to go on a hunting trip for deer, where you do not have to use a tree stand, where you could maybe even stalk a deer, someplace away from other hunters, with the goal being a just having a good time, chance for shots would be nice, but killing a deer not the priority. Where would you go?
I am thinking someplace in the mountains or rolling hilly country, maybe go in or horses and be dropped off and left for a week. Keep in mind I have had a knee replacement, I can walk and climb hills ok, but can't do anything considered really tough.
Also, when would you go to avoid the really nasty cold weather. I am just looking for a relaxing time walking the mountains or hills with my bow and camera, with a chance to see some critters.
John

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Quiet and beautiful place to hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
The bow deer season in most of the western states is in September, running into mid-november in some states.  Generally, the weather is fairly mild then, though cold weather and storms are possible.

It's difficult to get away from the crowds in states such as Colorado and Idaho which have over the counter licenses unless you can draw a special area or are packed in.  Unfortunately, the non-permit areas that I've been hunting have become overrun in recent years so I can't recommend a good area.  Looking for that myself.  I'm going to try Montana this year (if I can draw a permit.)  I'm sure others will chime in.  Good luck.

Oops.  I misspoke about Colorado. Elk licenses are OTC there.  I believe all deer licenses are draw now.  Have to draw in Idaho, too, now I believe.  But applying virtually assures a tag, except in special units

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Orion, you reminded me of one more important point.
It might be best where I can buy over the counter tag.
Am I expecting too much, please to do not tell me to look in Fantasy Land!
John

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
You might check out Missouri, OTC for deer and turkey and it's not too expensive.  There's a fair amount of public land and if you hunt during the week, won't see too many other hunters.

Oregon is another option if you want something a a little more challenging.  It's gotten more expensive, about $400 for a NR licence and tag, but out east there is tons of public land and few people, especially if you're looking for mulies.  I've done the Trout Creek Mtn. Trad only hunt several times and see lots of deer, but it's remote and fairly challenging.  PM me if you want more info on this hunt.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
John, it could be as close as Virginia. I hunt National Forest land, and enjoy the end of October. You can get your tags online, and camp where you like.

Look for counties where they do not hunt with dogs.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »

Lots of places like this in Wyoming (or Colorado, Idaho, or Montana, for that matter) where you will see lots of deer and few people during archery season. In the mountainous areas, spot and stalk is the 'rule'. You will see beautiful country, and you might want to pack a fly rod, as well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Centaur.....can you buy tags over the counter for these areas, or is it on draw?
I also like the flyrod suggestion. Love to fish too!
John

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
ttt

I want to see where this thread goes. I would like a trip like this as well.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline patvro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Well you dont want to come to south east michigan to hunt with me I watch cars listen to dogs bark people call there kids even heard once what happens when a guy stays out all night and try to come home at 6am after out drinking all night shot a nice 7 point about a half hour after they stopped screaming at each other. Got to love suburban deer hunting!
Waiting for october.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by patvro:
Well you dont want to come to south east michigan to hunt with me I watch cars listen to dogs bark people call there kids even heard once what happens when a guy stays out all night and try to come home at 6am after out drinking all night shot a nice 7 point about a half hour after they stopped screaming at each other. Got to love suburban deer hunting!
Wow are you sure that your not talking about jersey (suburbia) ya just can't get away from the noise. Lol.. I guess the deer just get used to it.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »
Think mountains, valleys, streams, long views, quiet. That is what I am looking for.
John

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
Thats Pa. in the Allegany Mtns but there are no deer left.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
Western half of Nebraska would fit that bill. Public ground is limited, but you can probably still hook up with a land owner through the various Community Chamber of Commerces, or you could just head to Chadron, rent a cabin in the park and have a good time. Various reservoirs in south west part of  the state would probably work too. They get more pressure from the guys in Colorado than they do from the Husker Nation.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I have a stand up here in the White Mts of New Hampshire you can use.Not many deer,but you will see them.Maybe a few moose too.
Next year I am going to set up a bear stand.
Plus alot of turkeys running around.
Lots of hotels and motels to stay at with off season rates. It is a ski resort area.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
My choice would be the Adirondack Mountains in NYS during our northern zone archery season.  Really nice weather at that time of year.    There are thousands of acres of public land with various types of terrain ... from hills to more rugged mountains.  The deer population isn't that great, depending on where you go.  The deer are typically larger, though.  Many places to camp as well, or motels if that is your thing.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Cherokee,
Non residents in Wyoming pretty much are on a draw for bucks, but there are lots of leftover doe/fawn tags that you can get OTC. I don't know the specific odds, but I think it is pretty easy to draw a deer tag. I believe that non residents need to put in by the 31st of January in Wyoming. You should go to the Game and Fish website and see what needs to be done if you want to hunt this year.  http://gf.state.wy.us/
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
You just described every day I hunt in Washington's late bow season, pretty much have millions of acres to myself...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©