3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching tape feather curl  (Read 648 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching tape feather curl
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Got off to a slow start fletching arrows with the new jig and fletch tape.  I was getting the feather ends to curl in.  I got things figured out and dialed in last night.  I did a couple arrows and they looked great.  Tonight I went to do a couple more and the back end of my feathers I put on last night curled again.  I have the fronts staying in place, but the backs are still curling. It is like they over power the rubbery tape and stretch some.  I can push them back, but they don't stay.  I have not glued the ends of the feathers yet.  I figured that was more for durability when shooting them.  Is this common?  Do I need to glue the ends right away to keep this from happening?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline barkrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching tape feather curl
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Since I've been using that tape my jobs are a lot cleaning and I can sit it down just perfect everytime. Another advantage is the speed at which you can fletch a dozen arrows.

One drop of glue front and back is not overkill and they don't rip off ----I shoot bales no problems

good luck
Family,family,family mmmm... and bows

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Yes. small drop of glue front & back.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I use fletch tape quite alot on my arrows. Any chance of a picture just to be sure what you mean by "curling?"

I have seen just the very last 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch closest to the nock move just a little bit.

Once I fletch mine up I glue them right away. don't know if this helps with the curling problem but I do it then to get it out of the way so I can shoot them as soon as I can.

How did you have the arrows situated overnight? Standing up or laying horizontal? Any chance that portion of the feather was touching anything?

Arrow making is quite addictive and lots of fun. Welcome and good luck!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Extrema312,  Try steaming the feathers before you start fletching.  Just lightly to moisten the quills a little.  It gets pretty dry up here in the north in the winter and a light steaming will reduce the bending stress in the quills.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
When I did them the feather base was in a nice straight diagonal line, but now the last 1/4" is pulled right. I am using LW feathers so it moved to the right when viewed from the back of the arrow.  I lay the arrows down, but with the feathers over the edge of my work bench.  I can push the back of the feather back in line, but they don't stay.  What is a fast set fletching glue I can use.  I think I can hold them in place until the glue dries if it is fast set.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Preacherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I have this problem every once in a while.  i started leaving more tape on each end and when i take the clamp off i push the ends down and the put some fletch tight immed.
Preacherman - Trust in Him and not yourself, and He will make it work!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
When I take off the clamp I run a knife edge along the base of the feather to make sure it is "seated" nice and tight against the shaft.

I use CA super glue (gel consistency) that I get at the local hobby store for about $5.00 for a big bottle. Works great a dries real fast.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
I know what your talking about xtrema I had the same problem so I went with gel super glue and haven't looked back. It is just as fast for me and I am pretty careful so I don't get the mess some complain of and feathers are on perfectly.Real tough too.

Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
you could always thin the pith of the quill which would allow it to bend more easily to your clamp of choice...just an idear.  Use a sanding block or a block of wood with sandpaper glued or wraped around it....heck even a file with sandpaper wrapped around it would work for this.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
If you are using feathers with a thick base----the tape might have a problem holding the extra weight.
I use tape exclusively now. After removing your clamp---I run my thumb down the length of the feather from front-back. Then apply gel superglue to teh front and back tips.

I don't have any problem with fletching curling as long as the bases are thin and even. I bought a batch of feathers once ( I think they were Gateways, but can't remember for sure); anyway, they had very thick quills and the feathers would curl with those. I had to use glue instead of tape with them.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
How much off-set helix are you putting in?  Some times too much helix will want to push the back end of the feather off...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by jcar315:
When I take off the clamp I run a knife edge along the base of the feather to make sure it is "seated" nice and tight against the shaft.

'pressuring down' the quill base is an important step!!!  

then just use a dot of regular fletching cement at each end of each feather.  using cya glue isn't necessary and will make getting the feathers off tougher than need be.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
You shouldn't NEED to use glue at all w/ fletch tape. It's just insurance/reinforcement. Make sure your shafts are clean, tape is fresh (it does have a shelf life), and try not to stretch the tape as you apply it to the quill. As mentioned above, applying pressure w/ thumb to seat the feather is a vital step.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
On aluminum (havent tried it on carbon or wood yet)my dad and I have ben using the med-thick CA hobby glue.You can buy a can of instant set activator.put feather in clamp,put glue on quill,place feather and clamp assimbly in place,squirt it with a drop of activator and its set.You can then remove the clamp and go to the next one.It also removes easily for refletch with a razor knife.Just an idea.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I've never had your problem with tape I use so I was thinking at first that you may be using a clamp opposite of the feathers (Left clamp vs. right feather for instance).  If thats not the case I would say you need to run your thumbnail down the side of your quill to press it flat against the shaft.  If you are using quality fletch tape this should work for ya.  Then a drop of glue front and back.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
ive never used glue with the tape although it is humid here most of the time. I got some gateway feathers one time that did'nt work good. quill too thick. I now use trueflight or just grind my own. I also leave about a 1/4 " extra at both ends. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Lots of great info.  I love it!  Thanks!

I did have a little too much helical and adjusted that out.  I think it is reasonable now.  That solved the initial problems with feather curl right out of the clamp.

I just to my tape last week from Lancaster.

Now I set the back first the grip the back of the clamp between thumb and index finger close to the feather so I can really push it down to set it.  Then I set the rest and get my finger nail up under the clamp on the point to make sure that is down and doesn't move.  I hold the point, and I pull the clamp.  I immediately work the feather to press it down well.  It looks great when fletched.

I am using Gateway feathers, because I didn't know they were of the lower quality until they were on the way.  I got most of my stuff from Cabelas with points I had to get started and Gateway was all they had.  They do have some thick bases.  I think that just could be the major factor.  I have some disposable nail files.  I will work them over until I use up the last of them.  I have AMG in the mail.  I think they will work better.

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
i havent had any problem with the tape.

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
After reading this I think my problem was thick quills as well. This was my first attempt at feather fletching (new to trad) so I used tape after reading about it on here. I thought maybe I was just being too picky and so I just found a way to fix the problem(fletch with super glue).Now I am gonna have to sand some down and try with tape again. Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©