3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So what do you really think about the MARTIN SAVANNAH?  (Read 861 times)

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
So what do you really think about the MARTIN SAVANNAH?
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I’ve been shooting recurves but I was thinking about giving longbows another shot.  I like the Savannah and almost everyone post great comments on them but when asked to pick the Savannah or another longbow everyone picks against it.  If I can get a new Savannah for about $400 with no wait is that as good as it gets or would you recommend something else?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So what do you really think about the MARTIN SAVANNAH?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Depends on what you like.  I was very un-impressed with the two different ones I've shot.  The owners are friends of mine, and they sold theirs not long after buying them.  You might love it though.

Chad

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Shoot  a bunch of bows and buy the one you like most.  Otherwise you might get into frustrating trend of buying and selling bows (and arrows).  Find something that you shoot well.  Some bows have similar models which will give you some flexibility. Look for a style bow wood, grip and what not, not necessarily a specific brand.  For 400. bucks you can find a great bow on the classifieds (also no wait)!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I like the looks of the Savannah and it shoots nicely once you're used to it... BUT I think it is slightly stacky and it is not really a longbow per say... its a hybrid.  For your money there is a Robertson Stykbow Purist someone is selling in the classifieds for a GREAT price.  I had a Robertson that I sold for family expenses and LOVE them.  I think this is a better investment for your $$ and its less than $400!!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I have a Martin Savannah. It was the first trad bow that I ever purchased. Although I have since purchased several custom bows, I still have the Savannah and I love it. In my opinion it remains one of the best "production" bows out there. Let me put it this way: Heaven forbid, but for one reason or another there may come a time when I may sell one or two of my bows. If and when that time ever comes (and I hope it doesn't) the Savannah will not be among them. Some bows are a nice prime rib and lobster luxury. The Savannah is my meat and potatoes.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
i had one.....gave it the boot......you asked i told  :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
......try a mohawk bro....great bow with a short wait
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by elkherder:
i had one.....gave it the boot......you asked i told    :readit:  
Yep. There's definitely no doubt where you stand on the Savannah issue. Isn't there an old saying about one man's treasure being another man's junk?   :D
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
i'm on a recurve binge right now and sold my mohawk knowing eventually i would buy another.awesome bow,priced great.makes the handle how you want it (very important)if you like a recurve type grip he puts a locater style grip on it.i have had three mohawks and every one of them was a sweet bow to shoot,never sold one because i didnt like it.loved all three.get the cocobolo handle with boo core and boo lams and you'll love it..i promise you will.mohawk compared to savannah?????mohawk hands down....larry

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:58:00 AM »
nope....  :D

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »
check out the bezaleel bobcat at bezaleelbowworks
best long bow I have ever owned or shot
owned:2 wes wallace ,st charles, howatt bush master ,martin savannah,martin venom, shrew, fred anderson, fox,krammer, stewart, brack
shot:thunderstick habu whip widow tomahawk mahaska  and many more
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
I had one and it was one of the worst longbows I have ever owned.  It was poorly made and cost more than some of the customs I have had over the years.  A Martin Savannah would be the last longbow I would be looking at.

Look around and for second-hand or even new there is a lot to choose from in that price range.

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 04:55:00 AM »
I've shot the Savannha along with a lot of other strongly R/D bows.
After 4-5 years of messing with them I now prefer real longbows and real recurves.
These R/d things are neither and deliver the feel of neither.
From an older trad shooters point of view I dislike them more than compounds,,,in competition they are the cheats longbow.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
I have one and I like it.It's fast and draws really smooth.I havent shot enough different bows to compare with.I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
400 is a great price for a new Savannah. I own one and it's a great shooter, nice bow, I like the larger grip. I have a few other bows and the Savannah has been my hunting bow for a few years.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
If you draw past 28" forget it.  It stacks up pretty hard.  I know I put one on a scale.  No bow shoots well when it is stacking.  Up to 28" I am sure it would be fine, thus the varying opinions.  I second the Mohawk.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
I looked at one, along with a Bear Montana, a couple PSE and other brand bows on my last trip down to Cabelas. I didn't get to shoot it, so it may be the greatest shooting bow to ever be bent, but comparing it to what's available it seemed like you could get a lot more bow for a lot less money. Just one guys opinion...
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
It's a very good bow.  I had two of them.  I like my own bows better though!  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
I have one and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the need arose. it hits where i look and that all i need.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
http://coquinadaily.com/daily/htmldaily/080305.shtml

14th picture down--check it out, especially the last two archers in the picture.  Can anyone contend that they aren't shooting "real" bows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©