3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So what do you really think about the MARTIN SAVANNAH?  (Read 860 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So what do you really think about the MARTIN SAVANNAH?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I liked the few that I've shot.
You can get a very nice used custom longbow for $400(or less).
I love my Kohannah Fury Ext., Treadways are great, same for Turkey Creek and others.

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
my brother has one and it shoots great i used to envy him when i would shoot his then shoot my bob lee recurve those are great bows
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
 http://coquinadaily.com/daily/htmldaily/080305.shtml  

14th picture down--check it out, especially the last two archers in the picture.  Can anyone contend that they aren't shooting "real" bows?
That's pretty cool. Interesting to see that even 16,000 years ago there were differences in bows among a like group of hunters. I can't help wonder if those first two guys depicted razzed that fourth guy about his bow choice.  :D
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
My bet is they were all jealous of the 4th guy because he got a pass-through pulling 20# less than they were.  :D

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
The Savannah I had 3 or 4 years ago was really a nice shooter.  Very quiet and fairly quick.  It was what it was--a well built off the shelf bow. Not a thing wrong with it.
There are deflex/reflex bows that you can buy used (but like new) on here and elsewhere that are a whole lot better for the same money.
Do some searches.
Some great bows which you can find for $400 to $450:  Roy Hall Navajo Apache, Dan Toelke Whip, Acadian Woods Tree Stick, Fedora Excellerator, to name only a few.  Have some fun with the "search" function on Trad Gang and you can learn a bunch about what's out there in your price range.
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
i owned one and liked it, but my tastes run to "D" braced longbows rather than r/d limbs, so i sold it to trad ganger todd hathaway who promptly used it to win the muzzy longbow division a year or so ago.

like most everything about trad archery, and lotsa other things in life, subjectivity rules and yer tastes and opinions count most.

ymmv.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DeerJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I really like my Savannah.I have only shot 4 arrows with it at animals,killed 3 deer and 1 hog.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I just got one and love it. Very nice shooter. I like it. Funny how everyone says other bows are better, the Savannah's too expensive, etc. I shoot my Savannah much better than any of my current bows, and I love the look. Yeah, it's pricey, but IMO, you get what you pay for... It's funny how when you look at places that sell it, like Cabela's, 3rivers, etc. People give it 5 stars. Everyone loves it. Then you look on another website like this one, or other forums, and everybody thinks it sucks. Oh well. To each his own. I'll be hunting with mine along with my soon to be Check Mate this fall...

Seems that most people that have shot the Savannah and got used to it, actually like it...

:campfire:

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
i would have liked mine if it hadnt tried jumping outta my hand every shot and rattled my brain.  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  maybe it was a dud
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I had two and liked them both. Got hold of a Roy Hall Apache and fell in love with it. Decided to sell the two Savannahas as well as some other bows I had to reduce my inventory and just stick with two Apaches. Good Luck on whatever you decide.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkherder:
i would have liked mine if it hadnt tried jumping outta my hand every shot and rattled my brain.   :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:   maybe it was a dud
Mine don't do that...   "[dntthnk]"

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
I don't have one, but I have shot my hunting partners, a #65@28".  His shoots very nice, no hand shock, quiet and fairly fast with a heavy arrow.  To each his own.  I have another brand of bow I'm fond of.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:00 AM »
Very Nice......But  WAY OVERPRICED  for a Factory Bow!!  :readit:    "[dntthnk]"
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I've got no complaints about mine.  It's fast, smooth out to my 29 inch draw, and points well.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Everyone likes and dislikes bows for their own reasons.I bought a Savannah when they fist came out,I still have mine.It is a great shooting bow,smooth draw and fast as any other bows.I have a few Martin/Howatt bows and everyone I have is well made and solid shooters.I think the Savannah looks good,bubinga riser with zebrawood limbs,I like mine.

Offline Mike Gibbs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
The Savannah is my favorite Martin bow. I killed two deer in one season with mine. If you can shoot a longbow, you'll like the Savannah. I regret selling it, but at the time, I felt I had to because I was spending so much on a Blacktail. The Savannah was 45lbs., the Blacktail is 47. Savannah is as smooth and fast as the Blacktail. The only problem I had was learning to grip it correctly. When I learned to hold it in a lose fist, it was very consistent. I think the Savannah excels at long shots. I could hit a gallon jug at 50 yards, which I cannot do with the custom.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
It's not more overpriced than a Black Widow...a factory bow 8^).

Actually, I think it is one of the best deflex/reflex bows made.  It does not kick or rattle your teeth....I notice NO hand vibration at all.  It is deadly accurate..has a small pivot that is difficult to torque, and is plenty fast.....right there with most customs.  And...it doesn't stack until past 30" draw.  Some folks wouldn't know stack, from a grocery bag.

Try to find one to shoot, and make a decision based on what you find....not any opinions garnered here or anywhere else.  And that includes my opinion.    :readit:

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
I shot one through the chrono and was real impressed with the speed.  Then I put it on the weight scale and it gained a little over 5 lbs. from 29" to 30".  Thus it nullifies what I thought was great speed to ok speed.  I may be wrong about that being stack but 5 lbs. in an inch is what I thought was stack.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
some folks do know what stack is and mine stacked to beat hell and vibrated like a jackhammer.in my opinion given given another one,it would be kindling.i named it the spagetti bow.in my opinion its a 200.00 at best gopher huntin rabbit runnin LOW END sorry excuse for a bow.may be nice to those that dont know what a true custom feels like  :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
As George says:shoot one and form your own opinion.
 My draw length is 30' and I have no problems with shooting it.Handshock is a tuning issue IMO.If you buy one ,get it 2nd hand.Lots of em out there in 300-350 range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©