3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another "which recurve should I buy?" thread...but need advice  (Read 465 times)

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
Another "which recurve should I buy?" thread...but need advice
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
Yes, I know there have been plenty of "which recurve bow should I buy?" threads posted at TradGang.  But here's the deal: I work with a guy who's already an outdoorsman (primarily fishing) and is eager not only to hunt, but wants to hunt with a trad bow. He's a young guy with a couple of kids, not making a lot of money, and has been saving his dimes and nickles to get himself a recurve. His wife is not only supportive, but has plans on taking hunters ed so she can hunt too (I guess some guys just get lucky).

Anyway, last year I lost my son. I've decided that want to do something in my son's memory to help this guy get started on his trad journey. Toward that end I want to buy my friend a bow for a hunters ed graduation present. I need to find a reasonably priced recurve, perhaps in the $400 to $500 range, and one that I can have his name put on the bow.

There you have it. Any suggestions?
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another "which recurve should I buy?" thread...but need advice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
My condolences for losing your son and that is very generous. I just gave a friend a recurve, but I only paid $35.00 for it. A Western Field which was made by Ben Pearson for Montgomery Ward. It just needed a string and new leather shelf and is a great shooter.

That is a pretty serious gift for someone that hasn't shot a trad bow???

I was trying to think of a custom bowyer that makes a recurve in that price range. Check Mate maybe??

I would think a bow like the Samick Red Stag, which is suppose to be a good shooter and they look nice for around $200.00 would be an awesome gift. You could always have his name put on it by an artist as a special touch. You could get 2 sets of limbs and still be well under you budget. Say a 40 and 50 lbs set.

Or maybe a Quinn Stallion.

Good luck in your search.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
Probably should have mentioned that my friend  has indeed had a chance to try both a trad bow and a compound. The decision to go with a recurve was entirely his choice (and had he decided to go the compound route my choices would have been a whole lot easier since it's not hard to find a wheelbow).
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
WHISPERSTIK MOJOSTIK can be had for about $550 and they are great bows and a great guy to deal with.Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
I would go for something inexpensive from the classifieds. 60" or longer and 45# regardless of how big or strong he is.

Go for a reputable bowyer or company. I would avoid putting his name on the bow. I understand the intention but it is possible that the bug will not stick and your friend might feel pressured. It is also possible that the first bow will not work out for him.

Offline Rodd Szmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
RER. Any of their bows.

rerbows.com

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
since this feller is a newbie, does he/you know his draw length?  know what kinda holding weight he can *easily* handle?  

i don't think it's prudent to rush out and get a new/custom bow for someone just entering into trad archery/bowhunting.  it would be best if he could try out some bows at a store, club, event, first and get a feel for what's in store for him.  

buying a bow as a gift is kinda like buying a dog for someone without that someone knowing just what they're getting.  :D

always better to go the used route, if at all possible - the classifieds are full of exceptional recurves at substantial savings.  

if having a name on a bow is that big a deal, that quickly accomplished with a silver or gold pentel pen.   :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Kohannah bows makes a nice one-peice recurve in that price range.  Also check out Holm-made bows. He is a sponser here.  If you stay at least 60" long you'll probably not run into draw length issues and 45 to 50 pounds is manageable for most men.  Very sorry about your loss. It always feels nice when you can do something for someone else.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
I'de get him a gift certificate to a retailer that carries several lines of bows both entry level and hight end. It would also be good to know what draw weight, etc. that he will be needing. Having said that, one of the best shooting underappreciated/under the radar  bows out there are made by Quinn. He could get a real nice take down with a low draw weight and when he is ready he can get a heavier set of limbs if he needs to. They are very inexpensive for what you get and I am sure if you contact them they could get his name on the riser without a problem.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jamed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
These guys offer some great advice, just wanted to say it's touching to hear what a great thing your doing.  Prayers with you and your family, and I know this young man will appreciate your intentions no matter how it turns out.  Good Luck!!!

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
Many great bows out there on the auction site for less than $150. Bear,Shakespeare,Pearson to name a few. I have a couple of Shakespeares that look practically new and perform as well as most custom bows that I have owned and I don't have $200 in the both of them (Shedua risers/with overlays)and they look great!
Good luck in helping your young friend!

><>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I have got the perfect bow for your purchase, brand new with his name on it for $450. And even better yet it is a totally custom made bow by one of the sponsers on this site Mike Rash of Legends bows. I am sure Mike will work with you to make sure the bow gets to you on time to surprise your friend, this will be an excellent present and one that will keep giving it is a pleasure to shoot. Give Mike a call you will be glad you did, thanks Jerry.

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
So sorry for the loss of you son. Your generosity towards this young friend of yours is awesome.

As Rob said, why not find him an inexpensive "learn-to-shoot" 35# bow with a card saying, "when you are ready, I really have a surprise for you!" I'm a good sized, "once" athletic guy that is starting on the trad journey with a 45# bow. I am now looking for a 30# bow for both my sons and I to learn how to shoot properly. I can handle my 45# bow, but I can't shoot it as long as I'd like, and I am sure that I am not fully reaching my true draw length yet.

It seems like you could get some nice bows for around $300 after getting him a $100 starter bow. I.E. Bama bows, I think Dry Ridge was another and SeigeWorks seems to have some bows in the $250 range.

Just an idea and good luck.

Tim

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for your excellent advice. You not only gave me some great suggestions, but you also gave me some sound advice that I had not considered. Since there's no need to rush, I'll think this through for awhile before making my final decision. And I'll definitely let you know what I finally decide.

Thanks again. You guys are great.  :thumbsup:

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Very Sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine, as far as Bows, there's a TON, but check out Chad Holm, a Sponsor on here, Holmmadetraditionalbows.com  A real good fella, and a heck uv a Bow !!

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Gettin him on the right road that's great. Sorry for your loss.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
try chek Mate. They are a sponsor here and they have some great bows from 260-350 for one piece shooters.

great quality and they will customize them to suit your needs
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
i am truly sorry for your loss..i have a soft spot for this type of thing...really touches me...i have a morrison cheyenne that i truly love but this is more important....its a 1300.00 dollar bow new...i paid 795.00 for it a month ago....i'll sell it to you for the 500.00 this offer is only too you on this deal......let me know..........larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Larry, that is a VERY generous offer and I sincerely appreciate your kindness. In fact I am absolutely floored by such an offer. But some of the suggestions here about not getting a top of the line bow for a first bow makes real sense to me so hope you will understand if I decline. I want you to know, though, that I am deeply touched by your generousity.

I see you're from Vancouver. If you plan on attending the TBW rendezvous this summer perhaps we can meet so I can thank you personally.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
You might want to take that money and acquire several used bows of different styles.
Instead of giving him a bow that possibly wouldn't fit and have him struggle with it just because you gave it to him, you might consider giving him a certificate for free bow rental from you for X amount of time. That way he can try several bows and not feel obligated to keep one.
You might consider acquiring some women's weight bows for his wife to try also.
You can take those same bows and same money and do the same with any number of other people.
Just a thought.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©