3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Refresh My Memory  (Read 218 times)

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Refresh My Memory
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Isn't it pretty standard for the bowstring to be four inches shorter than the bow length for a recurve, and 3 inches shorter for a longbow?  Or do I have it backwards?

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refresh My Memory
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:00 AM »
I know my longbow is 65" and takes a 61" string and my recurve is 60" and takes a 57" string!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
The standard has always been 4" for recurve and 3" for longbow.
Although I've come across many bowyers lately that are stating 4" for their longbows.

I still start out with 4" shorter on recurves and then allow best performing brace height determine final length.
Will do the same for longbows start with 3", and go from there.(unless bowyer says 4")

Ultimately best performing brace height will determine string length for bow whether Long or recurve.

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  That's what I thought.  I picked up a little 58" Ben Pearson Apex #15, 45# @ 28" for $50, and needed to get a string for it.  It came with a new string, but when I strung it, I noticed that the brace height was way too high.  Come to find out it had a 52" string on it.

D.A.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©