3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Skinny strings  (Read 485 times)

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
Skinny strings
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:09:00 AM »
When you guys talk about skinny strings what are you refering too or is the person making it. What are the avantages?  Is it fast flight? What is the string material and srand count?
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Skinny strings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
Strings with less strand count,they can be made from any of the newer low stretch string materials.Like D97 I have been shooting 8 strands upto 60#,they seem to be quieter then my 12 strand D97.Also I have used 450+ 6 strand strings,Super Shrew have been using these strings for years.There are alot of other strings you can use a lower strand count in,these are just some I've been using.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
'skinny strings' means a modern hmpe fiber string (dyneema, vectran, spectra, etc - dynaflight, ts1, 450+, fast flight, etc.) with a much lowered strand count.  for bows up to 50# or so, 6 strands is a safe bet, and 8 strands for 50# and above.

dacron skinny strings are stretching it way too far, pun intended.

low strand count strings are lighter and less prone to making vibration noises on arrow release.  some folks also note increased arrow speeds.

any one of trad gang's string making sponsors can hook you up with a superb skinny string for you to trial out for yerself.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Skinny strings are just that. Smaller diameter string made by using less than the previously accepted norm. They are made with the newer fast flight type material. I use 4,6 and 8 strand D97 on my bows, compared to the 14 strand 8125 that came with it is looks skinny.

Advantage for me is reduction in bow noise and increase in performance is an extra benefit.

Folks are using many of the newer materials D97, 8125, ultracam, ts1 and others. Search for the thread OL and skinny strings.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
I haven't read this post in a few days sorry but when you get the strands this small what serving are you usind in order to get a nock to snap in place. I have seen where they do a double layer or thread a little bit of floss underneath the nocking area. Just curious!!!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
I'd like to try a Skinny String. Who makes them?
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »
Chad at recurves.com does a great job.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Pierre and Jean-Pierre make great skinny strings and they are sponsor here!

Here is the link:  http://www.sbdbowstrings.com/bowstrings.html

You can see mee at the trophy page..... (The Netherlands)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
Possum2, I have heard of 3 methods for serving skinny string for correct nock fit. Currently I prefer double serving, first layer I use .018 braid and then a thicker layer of 62xs or halo in the opposite direction. Another method I may try is a thicker one layer serving then build up nock point with dental floss for correct fit, and lastly laying extra strands of string material on the string prior to serving to increase size and single serve to fit.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Skinny strings scare me a little bit, thing I'll watch on the sidelines for a bit yet before getting in that game...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I have ordered from Pierre a couple of SBD strings last week. I did not know they are Skinny Stings. I emailed Pierre about my Assenehiemer and he will make me a 57". I will let you know how they work out.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Offline Chris40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Joker (Steve O) made me a string Saturday, when I was over to his place.  Blew my mind the difference it made in performance. At first I was skeptical about it.  He made me an eight trand out of fast flight (can't remember the material off hand)  It did make a difference.  BTW.  He makes a very nice string and showed me how he does it ad let me help him.  Pretty cool.
USN Retired 1984-2006
God Bless the USA

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris40:
Joker (Steve O) made me a string Saturday, when I was over to his place.  Blew my mind the difference it made in performance. At first I was skeptical about it.  He made me an eight trand out of fast flight (can't remember the material off hand)  It did make a difference.  BTW.  He makes a very nice string and showed me how he does it ad let me help him.  Pretty cool.
I've read mixed reports on this.  Most stated the skinny string was more quiet but didn't give them an increase in speed.  Can you give the specifics of the performance difference you got?
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
I'd be curious to hear about that myself.  Things can happen, but I'd say a noticeable increase in performance would be the exception, not the rule.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
i have no experience with skinny strings and recurves.  i would think there's still gonna be limb slap happening without some form of string wrap near the loops, such as bowhush.

with longbows, the less noise was very obvious to me.  as to increased arrow speed - i would say yes, because the skinny string is just lighter due to far less strands.  but i can't perceive a speed increase, and i refuse to resort to a chrono.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Just got my Skinny String from SBD for my Great Plains Take Down. I tried it on my Assenheimer. It fit perfectly.

It has the puff ball silencers and padded loops.

I went out and shot it. Here is the scoop -- super fast and super quiet, no hand shock.

I don't have a meter so I don't know if the SBD shoots faster, all I know is it was fast and smooth.

I think SBD Skinny Strings are all that and a bag of chips.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
NDterminator, Ron has been using 6 strand 450 on his Shrews for many yrs.
Tom

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I have found skinny strings to be quieter and a few FPS faster from Chrony testing several of my longbows/recurves. The quiet part is the number one reason I put the skinny strings on my bows now any extra FPS gained is just a bonus. I just put in a order for two more SBD strings with the yarn wraps they make one of my old nosiey recurves quiet something I could never get done before after several tricks I tried in teh past.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
 but i can't perceive a speed increase, and i refuse to resort to a chrono.
Rob, why the negative bias concerning chronographs? Don't you ever get curious? I have experimented with chronos for years. You can learn very much from shooting through them.

And I thought you were a "techie"!    ;)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Back about a year or so ago - while I was still laid up awaiting back surgery - O.L. and I did a lot of skinny string testing (all the way down to a 2 strand string on a 35# bow). O.L. started a thread on TG about the testing and results. I can't remember the thread's title, but perhaps someone else might. It's a worthwhile read. Those test certainly altered the string design I use now!

Ed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©