3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear baiting  (Read 175 times)

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
bear baiting
« on: January 23, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I know these questions are going to give me some flack, so please resist giving your opinions on why bear-baiting is unfair, unsporting, etc.
What do you find is your best bait?
How often do you bait?
How much do you dump at a station, per visit?
Favorite locations?
Jim

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear baiting
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Small items work best like popcorn and bread place old fry grease on them  and they need to sit and eat grain old beaver carcuses if meat can be used most anything sweet you can get your hands on cheap. Old bakery make anything you put out small so they can not grab and run to eat away from the sight.

By putting grease in front also the bears walk in it and get it on there feet and take it back in for others to follow.

bait daily when season is close and during and about every 3 days early. You need to watch the baits and keep enough for them to want to come back.

You want to start with the leagal amount allowed to start if it is 50lb 10lb what ever THAN when you have the comeing in cut it down to small amout to make them come early before it is gone that keeps them from going nockternal.

Place it where there is sign of bears.
If They run dogs by you keep it close to a highway or well used road the dog hunters do not like the dogs by a road.

IF you have to many bears give me a call I would like to try for one again.

Tim
DEATHMASTER

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Jim:  Check the regulations for where you plan to hunt.  They vary a lot regarding what kind and how much bait you can use, and even how you can place it.  In Wisconsin, for example, it's illegal to use any animal carcassas, fish  or grease.  Had some powdered dates, chocholate topping and sugar cones, and pie filling that bear really liked the last time I had an opportunity to hunt them.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
You should see if you can find a copy of Dr Ken Nordberg's book on bear hunting and baiting.I don't remember the exact title but a search of the authors name should bring it up.It is based on 50+ years of experience baiting and hunting trophy class bears in Minnesota.He goes into great detail on everything from picking stand sites for trophy boars,to bait setup,frequency, amounts and types of bait,how to get bears out after harvest,how to arrange treestands etc.A wealth of information geared toward exactly what you will be doing.I would check Amazon first.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
We can't have bones in our bait in Minnesota.
I have boned out alot of beaver over the years.
I have Nordbergs book.
I've been bear hunting, somewhat successfully, for 30+ years so have tried everything mentioned.
Just thought I'd see how other guys are doing it.
No dog's allowed in Minnesota, otherwise my Bluetick would have another job.
Jim

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
has anyone tryed honey here in arkansas you can bait on private property,but not on public ground,i think i'am right if not some one step in and tell me otherwise,i heard a 17 yearold killed a 650 lbr bear north of lake ouachita,might be some big ones here in arkansas,

Offline pokeanhope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Buy 50lb drums of thrown out candy at the candy store! Bears got a sweet tooth  :)
I am a hunter, a conquer, and a barbarian, I am MAN

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Anything SWEET will work... Black Bears are sweet freaks. I've used old "little debbie" type snack cakes, honeybuns ect, ect... Mix in either shell corn or especially OATS. We used Oats in Alberta with great results.

Don't over bait your bears, make them keep coming back for this "treat".
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©