3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk season is almost here!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6189 times)

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk season is almost here!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 06, 2006, 02:14:00 PM »
As my title states I'm a elk hunter. I was wondering how many of you guys and girls are elk hunters as well?? Also any hints to elk hunting with a recurve?? I've hunted with a compound for the last 4 seasons. I got close each year never close enough but still plenty fun. So anything that helped you get your frist elk with a stick?? Thanks
  "[heman]"
FEAR NOTHING

Offline Buglmin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk season is almost here!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
You're going to enjoy it so much. Just remember that you're not going to get a shot at every elk that you call in. We tell our hunters to shoot the first good shot that you have, and don't let a bull get to close. To many things can happen when the bull is to close to ya. You're going to have to learn from mistakes about when you can and can't draw. And just remember to pick a spot, no matter how close that they are to ya. And if you miss, heck, it's all part of it, and you'll kill the next one. But DON'T tell a sole bout missing a bull at ten yards. You're buddies will never forget it.

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
I was watching a group of bulls near my house the other day. They are in bachlor groups right now. I too have a bull tag and will be after them soon. Can't wait!
Get bamboo.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
I'll be in Oregon, hunting the Sled Springs unit I drew this year...I'm incredibly excited. This time of year every year, I anticipate the hunt and the elk God created for us...I dream of bugles, rutting elk, the sweet stench of a bull, racks gracefully maneuvering through the trees, the clouds hanging over the mountains as I pray for a chance at the herd bull...what a beautiful time. Elk are far and away the most majestic animals God created in my book (I am so thankful to him for creating this passion in me, this need to hunt and the honor to be able to do so). I love elk hunting!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
I leaving on my first elk hunt in S.W.Colorado (San Juan Mountains)on Aug. 28th. I'll be shooting a 60"t/t sinew backed osage bow of my making. 56#@26" Arrows are Bambusa cane(just under 600gr to just under 700gr) with turkey feathers and trade points made especially for this hunt by my friend ArtB.
   My hunt began months ago when I started preparing and training. It's already a success.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »
BTW, I'll either be shooting a Adcock LB pulling 53#@29" or a Border BD HEXIV pulling 60#@29" if she comes in  ;)

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 01:06:00 AM »
I'm with you Great White, Elk season is the best part of the year for me.  The last few seasons I have been chasing Roosevelts here on the Oregon Coast, and was even lucky enough to arrow one two seasons ago.  Nothing gets me excited like seeing those elk up close.  Going scouting in the morning, hopefully I can find me some.  Shooting a Wapiti takedown, 68#@30.5", 675 grain 2219, grizzly 175 grain heads, 180 fps.  Hope it will do the trick.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »
Aim small - hit small.
The vitals on an elk are about the same size as a whitetail when you consider the heavy bones of the front legs and the shoulder bone. Pick a spot and put the arrow into the lungs of the elk and you will put it down. Its more important to be accurate on elk than on deer- the bones are thick enough that bones you would hit on a deer and break---will not on an elk.
 My elk season starts August 1 near cultivated fields for cow elk only- and you can use a rifle; so its challenging to be around zipping bullets.
 The regular season is August 30- the end of September and then there is a late season hunt archery only in all of December in one unit of the zone I am in.
 Over the counter tags; even for non-residents.
There are really good opprotunities for taking elk. The tags are expensive 372 dollars plus you need a hunting license at 141; and an archery certificate for 18.75.
 So; normally there are left over non-resident tags availible through September.
 I love having them up close; and making the shot.
 I shoot a 70 pound plus longbow at 30 inches; I shoot cedar 11/32 with a 70-75 pound spine and zwicky delta heads.
 I saw what is normally a 60 cow herd the other day; the cows were mostly laid down in tall grasses; but there were some 40 up and walking; and there were 24 or so calves in a group playing in a bunch by the river.
  They are majestic animals; but too: they are made of candy...   :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 07:19:00 AM »
Ya'll have fun......i can't go this year, my wife is going back to school full time and cut my elk hunting finances down to nothing.  So maybe next year i can redeem myself.  Good luck to everyone and cant wait to see pictures posted in September.
Stick a Big Un'
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
wish I could be happy about elk season this year but got thrown out of the New Mexico draw because i was stupid and left off my date of birth on the applcation  :readit:  

I was on a party app with two friends and they both drew
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
I'm heading to Idaho for my 4th elk hunt in 8 years.  3 of them have been trad hunts.  I'm going to be with a good friend who now lives there and a friend of his from Central Idaho.  I'll be using a static recurve bamboo backed osage, an osage selfbow, or my Ancient Spirits recurve.  Still haven't decided which.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
I take two weeks every year to elk hunt. I jokingly say "if I had the choice of breathing or elk hunting I would take elk hunting." Having said that grouse can become a major distraction when still hunting elk!   :smileystooges:  

Good luck to all - Shoot straight, and may your firstarrows fly true!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »
Going on my first trip, opening week, in Idaho!  :)   Rick

Offline Pig Sticker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm heading to unit 9 in NM, anybody here had luck in that unit before?
I'm raring to go. I've shed 30+ lbs and feelin pretty salty.

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
i'm getting the wall tent ready now. i hate waiting thru august. good luck to you all
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
I am looking forward to it as always,I have a buddy who shoots a longbow who is moving his family here the month before. It will be good to hunt with Mike. With any luck I will call him in a bull, and by golly I have been known to be lucky a time or two.

Offline Kids Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 02:30:00 AM »
I can't wait to be chasing some big Roosevelts again this year. Last year I called in three different bulls, but I could not get a shot  :p  

God Bless,
K.P.
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"
(II Cor. 5:17)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 02:55:00 AM »
~7% chance that I'll be hunting Roosevelts on Raspberry Island in Alaska in October.  Our spring drawing is due to be posted by next Friday.

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »
Hey plumbob you live in probably the coolest country around. I lived in Post Falls for a while when I was going to North Idaho C.C. I always drove around up around there and loved the high hills and everything was GREEN. I grew up in Central Washington most of the time the country side is brown. So green was a nice change. So does Idaho still allow you to hunt any way you can?? Just a elk or deer tag?? Not archery or muzzleloader or rifle? Cool nice to see someone from around a area that I've seen with my 2 eyes.
FEAR NOTHING

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
Joel,  So sorry to hear of your mishap!  I'd be sick if I did it. We simply did not get drawn (16a,16c, 15) so at least my wound is not self inflicted. Which unit did your buddies get drawn for?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©