3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk season is almost here!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6190 times)

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk season is almost here!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 11:19:00 PM »
J.Nordwell, IDFG made an A or B tag system some years ago. Basically A being an archery hunt with a small rifle hunt and B being the opposite. It didn't solve all the problems but it helped.

Sandpoint is changing FAST, seems everyone with money decided they should live here. Driving prices and taxes through the roof. Not to mention it aint a small town anymore. Hell what are you going to do?

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »
You guys in those western states are so lucky to be able to take such a variety of game. Get back to the Mid-west and you start to get really limited on the game that you can try to harvest.

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »
Yes I feel fortunate, but remeber the grass is always greener. I envy guys that get to hunt pigs, that sounds like fun. For now I will be content hunting straight up and down crap that resembles a rain forest.

Offline Kanab Ram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
I was lucky enough to get drawn in unit 16c in New Mexico.  Planning to use my new Centaur.  September 1st can't get here fast enough!!!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
I too will be chasing those critters in a few weeks, as I have for the past 10+ years.   A bull elk bugle is hard to match.  I can not get enough of that sound on a cool sept morning.

Good luck everyone!!!!

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
....and don't let a bull get to close.
Bugleman...how close is too close????  I shot a 5x6 at 3 yds last year.  He was within 1 yd before that!!!   :eek:    :eek:

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline RLG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Plumbob is right I have lived in North Idaho my whole life, the locals are getting priced right out. But there is something to be said about hunting elk every year.
RLG

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Heading to NW Colorado on Aug. 31 for the second week of the season.  This will be my 4th trip elk hunting but only my first time with traditional bow.  I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.  Only can hope for cooler weather there, since it was 95 here today with high humidity.  Can't wait for those cool nights in the high country.  Good luck to all that will be chasing elk this fall.  BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
Arkybob im right there with ya living in OK. I have always wanted to hunt elk...that would be the ultimate to me....but i havent seriously checked into it because of the cost i have heard of from post on here.

I would love to go to NM, CO or any of the other states but i am affraid the total cost would be far out of my range! Of course i could plan a trip for a couple of years down the road and save for it....

So....can anyone suggest a good place for a beginner to start for that dream?

Ohhhh and that footage of the elk hunting in the Primal Dreams dvd just leaves me sitting here awe struck....

Good luck this year everyone!

Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Gonna be my first year at elk and deer hunting.  No expectations here.  I am just hoping to see some.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Paul the Viking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 01:42:00 AM »
I hunted elk for ten years with my compound, with several close calls and a few misses, then in 2002 I bought a used Bear Super Kodiak from a sporting good store in Yakima on my way home from fishing.  That next season I shot my first elk, a young cow, 29 paces down a pretty steep slope, and the rest is history.  I'll be back out Sept. 8th for five days, and my Dad is going to join us again this year after taking five years off.  I'm really looking forward to getting back out there with my Old Man and seeing if we can't have the time of our lives.
Hope I get to post a picture soon.
PTV

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Opening weekend I have a family trip up in the Cascades. I plan on slipping away for an evening hunt. Then it's weekend hunting until Sept.10-16th. I think that will be prime time for the bad boys of the woods. They will be rounding up the cows and staging fights all that good stuff! Really looking forward to being in the mountains with friends!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Can't wait to get at it! I was very fortunate to win a 38.2 to 1 odds draw for a Vancouver Island Roosevelt. Approx. 200 sq. miles, 5 tag archery only area & get to hunt any sex, any age.
Tricky area actually, which is why the season is a little longer. Starts Sept. 10th & goes to the 15th...of Dec.! Luckily, it's only 4 hours away.

Good hunting everyone! Keep yer broadheads sharp!
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©