3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which multi-blade BH for light poundage bows?  (Read 188 times)

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
Which multi-blade BH for light poundage bows?
« on: January 24, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking for a multi-blade broadhead for turkey hunting this spring and I uncertain which one to choose.

My bow is about 40 pounds at my 27 ish draw length. Arrows are 5/16 ramin shafts and with a 125 head are about 12gpp. The shots are short where but the cover can get thick in a hurry.

So, any recommendations for a muti-blade head? I am strongly considering one of the Zwicky models, either the Delta, Black Diamond or No Mercy four blade.

Any input/opinions would be appreciated.

thanks,
  Tom.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which multi-blade BH for light poundage bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Any of those will work fine.  Pick the one you can get the sharpest and flies best.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
Tom:

I for shoulder reasons will be doing all my hunting in the future with a early 1960's Damon Howatt recurve. It is 39# at my 31" draw. I am shooting either Easton aluminum 1916 at 31" which leaves no room for broadhead clearance or 2013 at 32". They both bare shaft and paper tune perfectly with 125 or 145 gr. points.450-475gr. total arrow weight. I'll be hunting both whitetails and turkeys and plan to do so with the 150 gr. screw in Woodsman Elites. By the time I get them sharpened I lose some weight so they should be about perfect. So the Woodsmans are what I'm going with for a multi-blade broadhead. I pretty confident this set up will work fine with a well placed shot.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
For the last couple of years I have , because of hand injury, been shooting bows in the 35-40# class. I use the snuffer 125gr. screw in. It is a devastating head and quite durable. I have used them for deer, hog, even a turkey once. Always did the job!

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Don't overlook the Magnus Stinger 4blade.  IMO the smaller bleeders = better penetration.  I've seen complete passthru shots from kids 24# compound on more than one deer.  Great heads, Magnus quality, and soooo easy to sharpen.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
For turkeys, a large head seems to make sense.  I like Snuffers, but a Zwickey Delta 4 would be a good choice, too, IMO.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.

I was considered trying some 100 grain Snuffers but have never been able to get Woodsman broadheads as sharp as my two-blade Mangus heads. I figured I would have the same sharpening issues with the Snuffers.

Tom.

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Another 4 blade Stinger fan here!  They start sharp and are easy to get scary sharp.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
well i shoot a 45# bow and all i use for mr tom turkey is a 2 bladed magnus its the biggest one that they have and it works just dandy  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©