3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Am I in danger?  (Read 720 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Am I in danger?
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
My Kempf bows bottom limb has been clicking as I draw and let down the bow to the point im scared to draw it. Is it this typical for a TD recurve? I sure dont want that thing to blow up on me. Any ideas? I may not have the limb bolts screwed down real tight when I unstring the bow I can turn them with my hand could this be the cause? Should they be down tight enough to where I have to use a wrench to turn them?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Am I in danger?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Don't over tighten the limb bolts...gently snug them down with hand or wrench, then a quarter turn.  If that doesn't fix it, tighter is NOT better.

Depending on what is already on the limb pads, some felt or other (tyvek) might help...or cleaning the area...sometimes a build up of wax will cause it or maybe adding some will eliminate it...

To start...examine the area very closely for any cracks, etc...

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
Try cleaning the area under the limb and on the limb pocket with alcohol then a light coat of string wax.  That should take care of it.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
2 blade....  also, check the string itself.  I have had wax from the string make a clicking sound when it comes off the limb during draw.
ChuckC

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Inspect the limb too. I had a sound on release that sounded like the arrow slapping...turned out the limb was having an issue. That limb separated at the laminations.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
If you can turn the bolts easily by hand, then they are not tight enough and you're probably getting some limb movement as your drawing the bow.  As you're tightening the bolts, you want them to have a snug feeling.  Don't crank down on them real hard and over tighten, you risk cracking the limb glass under the bolt bushing by doing that.
"You're either trained or untrained.  When it hits the fan, you will always fall to the level of your training."

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I looked everything over twice snugged the limbs down im gonna try and clean them and see what happends everything looks fine. Im more worried ill have a deer in one day and spook or look up at me durning my draw.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 11:51:00 PM »
I cleaned everything where the limbs go and the bow is still clicking. Im stumped what do you guys think now?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Run down Jack's number and give him a call...do a search on Pete Ward's site, it likely has it...or drop Joe Skipp a note.

I've shot a bunch of Kempf's bows, but can't remeber what the limb pads consist of.  Not sure if it is a wood to wood fit or if there is felt or something...if it is just wood, adding a thin sheet of tyvek or something similar might help.  

At this point, giving Jack a call might be best.

Also, be sure to check the string grooves near the tips...I think it was mentioned above, but wax build up there can often cause a click on the first couple pulls...is it everytime?

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Does the string track perfectly down the center of the limb as you let down?  If not the string may be coming back down on the edge of the groove and then popping into place--just a thought as I have had that happen.....Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
It sounds like you may have wax build up in the string groove. Clean the entire groove with alcohol(not rubbing alcohol as it has oil in it)
Wipe off the string also. If that doesn't stop the noise try a new string.I've been this route more than once and both of these methods have had to be used to stop the noise.
Please let us know if it works.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
I took the bow down again I put some Pam kitchen spray in the limb pockets I sprayed it in a paper towel and it seemed to help for a few draws then it started again. My uncle watched me draw and said its something in the top limb but he didnt think it looked dangerous.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
Try a 20 cent piece of felt, cut to fit between the limbs and the riser.  If that stops it, then you know it isn't glass or wood cracking.  Also, if that stops it, use contact cement and glue it to the riser so it stays put.
That is what I did, shut the creaks right up!
Dan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
What Dan said should work and also put some velcro in the string grooves as sometimes the string does make a noise as it eases away from the limbs. Shawn
Shawn

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Will do guys I took it out stumping just got back about 5 mins ago and it stopped creaking once I got outside and shot its not freezeing outside but could the temp make it stop? Would mole skin work to stop it? I was going to cut a piece out that fits perfect under the limb ill take some off my Howatt.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline HACKSAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
I have had the same thing happen to my bows.
I went to an arts and crafts store and got a sheet of closed cell foam about 1/16 or thinner.
It comes in all sorts of colors.
Make a pattern of the riser where the limbs mount out of paper bag or whatever you have and transfer to the foam.
I try to be careful around the pins, I think I used a paper punch.
Worked great for my bow
Hacksaw
" IN THE SPRING I STRUT "
 " IN THE FALL I RUT "

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Well I looked at the top limb and theres a scratch that I can pick with my thumb is this an everyday thing?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©