3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HORSEARCHERY / PICS  (Read 2927 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HORSEARCHERY / PICS
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
This could be the coolest thread I've ever seen!  Can you imagine riding a horse next to the great bison and harvesting one amazing creature?!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Wow!!!!!!  That is awesome!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:00 AM »
Thats cool!

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I have chased wild hog down and shot them from a galloping horse, and spear hunted on horseback for hog - a bison is a tad more dangerious as they are plain mean and out weigh a horse 2 to 1. But yeah it would be a fun experiance!!!

I once chased a deer over open pasture into the woods - but did not take a shot, more wanted to see if i could get in range and a firing solution with it - i did and could but did not shoot it.

Dave

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 02:27:00 AM »
Man you look comfortable on a horse Daniel.

I guess I am next hey. I will have to take some pics - I have logged with my horse banjo and chased black bears and I have shot off him while standing but never moving....He's a left brain introvert and doesn't have mujch GO in him..but I will work on a canter....

He is such a great bush horse (tons of bush sense and will eat what a mosse eats). Will walk 30 miles...just doesn't like going fast...his nature....suits me fine in the bush.

Well more to learn...better get him good at leg aids EH!!!!!!..

We have to get together and do some hunting and fishing and horses...that's all I can say.

Here's a pic of us getting ready to go - Five days worth of food and camping gear - bow, arrows, machete and a scatter gun.

and some pack horses

All in a days hunting I'd say. Climbing mountains crossing rivers chasing caribou
    :bigsmyl:    

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg163/jerbearyukon/IMG_2042.jpg  
Jer Bear

Offline yononindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Muskoxman:
My mules pretty smart, but it might be hard to find a horse big enough for him to  ride.

Hello Muskoxman,

What about this one ??

4 year old  Noriker stallion. A very good carrier.

Good to know, that there are still some people out there,with a good sense of humor.
By the way, I like the pic of your mule. Got any others ??

Daniel
Daniel

Happy Trails

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I know You need a good bomb proof Horse to shot off them (standing or moving). What is some of
You're training you do with your horses to get them not to buck/throw/dump You off them as you shoot your bow?

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey Daniel  - nice horse - saw you breaking him in on youtube (got a great buck for a big horse.

BUT "NO BIT"...I love that...most ppl think a bigger bit is what you need to CONTROLL A HORSE.

What they need is a "BIT OF SAVVY"  ;)  

SAVVY

Jer Bear

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Nice horse, and I see you got a new Samick Lightning as well  :)

Do you know of Trophybow from Youtube?
I think he subscribes to your videos there.
He is also breaking in a horse for archery and spearthrowing!
It's not an easy job, I presume...

Thanks for sharing!

-SveinD-
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline Muskoxman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Hey Daniel,

That is a stout looking horse your astride, but he probably wouldn't want my mule mounting him, in more ways than one Ha Ha

I've never shoot arrows off a horse but I had a good roping horse I could shoot a rifle off of.

John
BW PRS V 56in 56@28

---------------------------------
If it ain't one thing ,it's ten others

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Hey Sal - I do Parelli Natural horsemanship - I have been around horses for about 5 years and have learned so many things..so many.

Training:

The first thing to know when you are introducing ANYTHING NEW to a horse is some horse phycology.

"APPROACH and RETREAT" is the best thing for a horse...and US BY THE WAY.

ANYTHING I do with them I have to look at it in THEIR EYES....knowing that they are CLAUSTROPHOBICS - PANICAHOLICS - and their inate charateristi is to FLY FROM FEAR (RUN) and then turn and reaccess the danger.

Knowing this they need YOU to be a good leader. So many times we "WORK" with a horse instead of "PLAY" with a horse.

A horse needs "SAFETY" - "LEADERSHIP" - "COMFORT" - "FOOD".

To be a good leader we need to know this up front. They don't know the mailbox isn't going to KILL THEM....we do but they don't.

So many times I see ppl FORCE a horse to do something...anyone can force a horse, but what if you could make your idea his idea....hmmm

What if he would learn something and do it willingly. That's what I do as best I can...sometimes I screw up but that's learning.

Here's something to consider.....WHAT IF - you were afraid of heights. I come along and say "hey what's the big deal" and I go and stand near the edge of a cliff.....you see me as your leader and you slowly creep up to the edge and look over....you breath a HUGE SIGH of relief that you didn't DIE...and JUST WHEN you are getting comfortable I.....

PUSH YOU OFF THE CLIFF.....well that's what many people do with horses.

Horses will do just about anything if you JUST let them have the time to get CURIOUS and BRAVE instead of PUSHING them.

Take a tarp for instance.....we know it won't hurt them right.....but they don't and it makes alot of noise.

So if we TIE THE UP (which is common) or hold the lead rope REAL TIGHT AND SHORT...and just walk up to them with the tarp and start flinging it around...chances are they are going to PULL BACK and maybe hurt themselves or kick at you.

But in either case they are AFRAID.

BUT WHAT IF.....you had a LONG LEADROPE and had someone drag a tarp in front and away from you and your horse and you had your horse behind you leading him...

NOW YOU AS HIS LEADER.....were between him and the SCARY TARP. Then get the person to stop and you stop.....slowly as your horse gets more confident you shorten the lead rope - never more that ten feet though, but if he gets scared you let him drift a bit (don't hold him close) - 12 feet plus - I use a 22' leadrope for this kinda stuff.

Then have the person just drop the tarp and you walk by it (don't even look at the tarp as the leader you need to be CONFIDENT).....chances are the horse will go to the side of you that is opposite the tarp...that's ok.

Then you stop and if he wants to go investigate the tarp great if not..then I would stand on the tarp and let him circle me at a walk - 2 times max. Then turn him the other way and do this until the tarp is not a worry.

It's fun.....I do everything but let him get to the tarp  - I PLAY THE GAME OF - "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED NEAR THE TARP". In no time he wants to see what it is..REALLY - his curiosity comes up and so will his confidence.

I do the same with guns.....start off at a distance with someone shooting a 22 say...we get closer and everytime he is a bit worried we retreat.....when he relaxes we get closer...keep repeating this until he relaxes...."hind leg cocked - head low - yawning - blowing out (the sound they do if we blow out between our lips - are all signs of him coming off adreniline.

When he is fine with that...start the same process with a shotgun or rifle at a distance.

They say you can shoot a gun off ANY horse.....ONCE.

I do the same with the bow as the tarp thing...

I would encourage anyone wanting to really become a horseman to take the Pat Parelli home study course.....IT"S WAY MORE THAN RIDING.

Jer Bear  :bigsmyl:

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Neet thread folks!
I think I would need the 20' lead just to get over my fear of the HORSE   :biglaugh:  

I've always been attracted to and afraid of horses. Cool as all get-out though!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
hey Juan - you want to go to the

ATWOOD RANCH in california and see the parelli horses there.....these ppl are great. - if your interested in horses at all you should see if there is a Parelli demo going on anywhere near you...you will be impressed.

go here to look - actually everyone should go even if your not into horses.

http://www.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/Parelli-Across-America

Jer

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Daniel,

You truly lead a charmed life!    :notworthy:

Oh....my buddy's wife has a little crush on you.     :biglaugh:
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Parelli Natural horsemanship, been doing some of his stuff with horse when I lived in New Jersey, when I was working at a stable.

Now that I'm back in Texas and once I get to work and find a nice stable near by I'm going to volunteer for stable rental. then I'll fine a nice Horse or 2 and start working them.

I'll get the Parelli books & DVD's. I want a Horse that I can shoot a bow from. Then when I can do all that. Go hog hunting from horse back..

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Sal - you can shoot a bow off most any horse...Hate to say never and hate to say always, but USUALLY you can get them to do things with you if you go about the training keeping their dignity intact.

Now to chase hogs on one - well thats a new leadership level for sure...alot of trust there.

I remember Pat walking up to a mountain lion on a tether and that horse was absolutely calm...BECAUSE he trusted pat and he had done the proper and prior preparation to do exactly that

Horse and owner:

You need to know what kinda of horse you want (horsenality chart they have is great) and what kinda personality you are.

I would look at the horses at the ATWOOD ranch for sure - my next horse will be from there.

http://www.atwoodranchnaturally.com/

They are great ppl and they tech parelli to the young horses from the get go.....they like ppl - trailer load and if you actually go there they can set you up with a horse that will suit you and the horse.

good luck

Jer Bear

Offline phil_des_bois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Jerry - Looks like your horse has shoes on, the next step you can do to respect your horse is to remove those shoes and let him go bare feet (more info on  http://www.barefoothorse.com/  for example). I have a horse that has been shoed for 14 years, I thought he had bad hoofs and really needed shoes, but since he goes bare feet his hoofs are better than ever.

Phil

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Already doing that now - started the last trim. Problem was none of the farriers here new how to do it. So one of the local guys took a course and is teaching us now 9those that are interested). Seems the winter is a good time to prepare them also.

Yeah i have been asking for about 3 years...nobody would touch it. Said these are not wild Mustangs and don't have the terrain etc. My horse is out on 160 acres and he paws alot anyway so it keep his feet naturally trimmed a bit.

going to  take a bit of time to get the whiteline built up though.

Never ending learning cycle with horses though. The more you know the less you know ---you know...hmm

jer

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Jerry, Parelli- Parelli who This is the order.
God - Dorrance brothers - Ray Hunt- Buck Branaham- then Dennis Reis LOL
I train horses on the side- goes back generations
 www.blueroanhancocks.com  
I have done mounted shooting but never shot my bows off of them.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 06:40:00 PM »
I would use them to find the hogs first, then work on getting closer.

First things first… Get back to work and make some money. Then look for stables, then horse(s). Old Police horses would also be looked at. Since they are bomb proof and well trained to start with.

Plus, they would like the relaxed off duty and hunting/trail walks. There is one Horse I would love to have. My Wife worked/volunteered at a horse rescue and they had a Horse that didn't like Males. You could get 50 yards from her with Her running off or charging at you and wanting to hurt you. Only the Ladies could feed,water,walk and groom Her.

I went to pick up my wife and as I was talking to Her, She show me Margaret. She was on the other side of Her paddock. She saw me as I just stood next to the fence. As My wife was finishing up, Margaret started to walk up to me. Took Her about 20 minutes and Everyone hit the floor as I was rubbing Her head and eyes.

When She first got to mylestone rescue.

After a few years at Mylestone rescue.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©