3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HORSEARCHERY / PICS  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HORSEARCHERY / PICS
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
I agree that there were many ppl ahead of Pat and he always says "what i am going to share with you is so old it's new again"

Pat says it all the time....he is just putting it out there where you can do it systematically at home if need be so we all don't have to take 30 years to learn it.

He credits his past mentors all the time. I think his heart is inthe right place and that's with the horse first.

I have Tom Dorances book "horsemanship through Feel"

It's where I started but I didn't have enough savvy to know what he was getting at "what the heck is feel anyway...I DO NOW

I thank Pat Parelli for making it easier for us to learn without being close to clinicians.

I pretty much have to do this on my own - nobody here teaches anything usefull and the closest clinicians are 1600-2400 miles away from the yukon and some of them - well they aren't so good.

I learn from video/reading and practical. There is NO SYSTEM that I have seen that compares to the Parelli system atleast I haven't seen it.

Is there other great horseman - YES - is there ones I can access easily - NO

I have seen some horse trainers come to the yukon - some good some bad (in my eyes only).

I watched a guy do a reining clinic - he was awesome, but his ground skills with this womans horse was less than desirable (yup i think a fella could do better is all if a fella was looking at the horses point of view).

I learned some things, but I wasn't very impressed on a bunch of things he was doing to get her horse all fired up and white in the eyes.

He got a different bit then she was using instead of getting the horse to learn to stop with her seat first...hmm maybe I am wrong there.

Then she asked him after the class to help her with trailer loading....have seen some ppl do it real smooth like and I have seen 40 foot ropes through the windows and three ppl - one pulling and two smacking the horse on the butt to get him in.....this fella wasn't much better...alot of undue force on the horse and not much feel being presented to the horse that he could use intelligently.

he got him in but it wasn't to nice and he closed the dorr before the horse was calm about the whole ordeal.

After the session (and I am no expert i'll say that) she was no better off and the horse...well I think he just plain hates a trailer now...so I offered some assistance after the fella left for the night.

We unloaded that horse and he came outta there like a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I took us just under 3 hours (you or pat probably could have got it done faster) but I am still learning lots and faster wasn't what the horse wanted anyway (he'd just been through that).

He just wanted some leadership and a way of going that was right for him...yup that would have made it better for him.

So to make a long story shorter..he loads pretty well now, but we made a program out of it and she is happier now too.

Don't think her sliding stops are any better but she can sure get her horse to the events easier and get him home easier now....I'd say that.

Jer  Bear

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Sal - Bomb proof horse....hmm...theres a statement......NEVER SEEN ONE.

I have seen some pretty wide eyed horses with the right person and a little leadership go along way adn I have seen some supposid bomd proof horses BLOW up with the wrong person on them.

I want to be with a horse that respects me (after I earn it) and that he looks to me for guidance when he is unsure.

If he gets worried that's fine......just don't want him to BOLT.....been there done that.

My horse shys, but he doesn't bolt...he might stop FAST, btu he waits to get a signal from me.

I like that. It takes time....IMHO just because a horse does something for someone else doesn't mean they will do it for you.

jer bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Jerry,
I may have used the wrong term and I know a horse will reacted different to different ppl. I just meant it as the horse would be used to more things going on around them.

Yes, having the horse trust You as much as you trust the horse makes for a sounder bond.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
No disrespect meant ok - this is jut a discussion and it seems you knwo some things about horses so

Even a horse that knows what's going on around them knows that from what they have been exposed to  - their environment and the confidence in their leader to date.

I have seen arena horse that are AWESOME in the arena just freak at a small trail ride....well so small they didn't get out of the gate.

My horse (bush horse all his life) freaked when he saw his first mail box - silouette of the cowboy leaning against the door jam (those cutout black ones).

Then I took him in an arena - WHEW what a time that was....but we took it slowwwwww...tehn cones were introduced - it was amazing how many things bothered him.....

We chased black bears - he finds all kinds of game...never even flinches but it's what he was used to.

So we have some along way and now we trust each other...but I am still the leader.

We were going through some really thick brush and he wouldn't go forward....I couldn't se anything so I urged him forward and he nickered at me...so I stopped and looked - there infront of us was a hornets nest in the ground.

We backed outta there and he looked at me and nickered...i knew what he meant.

that's so cool.

I hope you get your dream horse...yup that's what i hope.

jer

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
True, I know what you mean and I didn't take it in any kind of bad way. I have had ppl tell me I don't know horses and had Horse proof them wrong.

What I mean is the horse trusted me and worked nicely around me and gave others a hard time.. NOW I AM NOT SAYING I'M A HORSE WHISPER IN ANYWAY. Just that some horses liked me around them better then other ppl.

I just wish I had land to have a horse on the same property as Me. Time will tell if I get that.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jerry Wald:
hey Juan - you want to go to the

ATWOOD RANCH in california and see the parelli horses there.....these ppl are great. - if your interested in horses at all you should see if there is a Parelli demo going on anywhere near you...you will be impressed.

go here to look - actually everyone should go even if your not into horses.

http://www.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/Parelli-Across-America  

Jer
THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I ride with Dennis Reis several times a year at his tour stops. I can deal with the really bad horses and the students that I am trying to help because it is a timeing issue. I have a hard time dealing with horse people that really do not listen. Dennis told me "Welcome to my world". It can be discourageing. I make  everyone that comes to me for help must get training themselves. I never have a problem with the horses, It is always the people. I could talk for hours about horse psychology but it would be hard to grasp the concept.
You learn by being around the best in their field. Everytime I am around Dennis at the clinic or out to eat just talking, I learn something.
I am going to shoot with Rick Welch because I really want to see how his perspective on shooting is and how he tunes his bows to shoot were he looks.
If I am not on horseback, I am shooting my bow and that is how its been for thirty some years.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
See that's what I am talking about....I am so far away from the experts that I have to rely on what I can get my hands on.

I don't get to sit and have a coffee with some of you folks so here is where I get the info....some I take...some I don't, but I am sure glad I have the choice.

Not right or wrong...just the way it is.

Jer Bear

Offline yononindo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 04:17:00 AM »
Hello to the " HORSECRAZY "

Please let`s keep this thread on course, otherwise I am afraid the Administrators will close it down.

Do not understand me falsely - No disrespect to you "horse crazy" folks out there !!!!!

This thread has been started about HORSE ARCHERY.

I am more than willing, to share my experiences about how to train a horse, but, if we continue talking more and more about Horsemanship (and leaving out archery), chances of thread getting closed, will rise.

Again, please do not get me wrong.

Originally posted by Jerry Wald:

We have to get together and do some hunting and fishing and horses...that's all I can say.
Jer Bear
Hi Jer Bear.

Come on folks, giddy up !!!

Lets do the "HI HO SILVER" and give Mr. Wald a visit.

Can you imagine, a whole bunch of mounted Trad Gangers riding cross country, all the way up - north to Alaska.

That would be some kind of adventure ....    :bigsmyl:  

Daniel
Daniel

Happy Trails

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by yononindo:
Hello to the " HORSECRAZY "

Please let`s keep this thread on course, otherwise I am afraid the Administrators will close it down.

Do not understand me falsely - No disrespect to you "horse crazy" folks out there !!!!!

This thread has been started about HORSE ARCHERY.

Daniel
Good Call Daniel....I thinking the same thing bud.

This is a cool thread about horse archery...lets keep it archery/hunting related...thanx guys    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Good example of gentle reining in...lol Nice save! Thanks guys! I was enjoying the pictures of mounted archery.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
I agree...sorry got all excited is all. I know it's real hard to do horse archery though if you can't get your horse used to shooting off his back.

that's kinda where it went "cwazy" " like a widowwww wabbitt.

My appologies....whoa horsey whoa.

Jer Bear   :o

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Daniel,

How long did it take the horse to be OK with you shooting the bow off it's back when running?

Also I have read that you are better off shooting when all 4 hoofs are off the ground, Do you find this to be true?

And can You post pix of game you have taken off horse back?

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
It is a VERY cool thread, as I've stated before... Thanks to all of your comments, I think I can feel a little less intimidated by such fantastic creatures, and can also imagine myself astride one while loosing arrows!

It's part of my big dream, you know? Open land, bow in hand, a trusty horse. Ahhh... if not in this mortal coil then in the Happy Hunting Grounds.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
Daniel - I would suggest (if you would be up to it - being that you do this already and look pretty darn comfortable at it btw)....starting a thread called

"preparation for Horse Archery".

You could list the process in order so that maybe WE that are interested could practice and follow along.

It could be somewhat of a "Horse Archery - online course"

I think the Moderators would be ok with that approach.

We could do something every week and we could post our progress...i always do better with a PLAN.

Would you be interested and more importantly would the moderators be willing to allow us to do this.

I think it's a very important subject because it is a big part of our history in the archery world.....and it's just plain cooooooool.

Jer Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
You could even do Vid's of you riding and shooting targets, Give pointers and Tips.. This way when others ever go on a horse back trip to a hunting camp and they get a chance to take a shot at say a wabbit,ground hog, grouse what ever. Not saying doing this on a outfitters horse, but their Own.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I love Pat Parelli, I also like Clinton Anderson. Im would consider myself a rusty level 2 in the Parelli training system. About 6-7 years ago I bought 2 colts and raised and trained them and then went on a solo packing trip in the New Mexico, Gila wilderness. Still have the horse just not the time.

Here is my boy. The real Amicus

The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I used to be able to shoot my bow and my shot gun from his back. I havent tried it in a while.

Great pictures. I love that spotted Stallion.

Take care

Gilber
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
The horse part - no problem
The form part - well, most of the time

The form part while doing the horse part - well, let's just say you appear to be a bit more advanced than me!

I often pride myself in my ability to multi-task........but you appear to have taken multi-tasking to a higher level!  There's got to be a Lakota Sioux somewhere that's smiling.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline WindyBill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Daniel,

Please tell us a little about Andorra. Looks like beautiful country.

Thanks,
 Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©