3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: You need to wear sunglasses just to look at my new bow-  (Read 631 times)

Offline Apadaka

• Trad Bowhunter
You need to wear sunglasses just to look at my new bow-
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
I recently received a new hunting bow that was custom   built for me by a well known bowyer. I have had 4 bows custom built for me by him, because they shoot fast, accurate, will knock an elephant to his knees and they look great, which is very important to me. The problem: This "go round"I had him use a "glossy" finish to accent the beautiful osage riser and limbs. I don't want to go back to him and ask  him to change his  crative artwork. What are my options to tone the gloss finish down? Thanks for any input. Randy

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: You need to wear sunglasses just to look at my new bow-
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
I had a bow built once and the bowyer said he preferred to use gloss finish, as it is a tougher finish. He lightly steel wooled it down to cut down on the glare. I would ask you bowyer if this is an option on his finish.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
Onestringer limbsations. Keep the gloss finish covered, customize the "skin" over it for hunting.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Apadaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
That's a good idea. Because it is as pretty as McDave's Robertson bow (posted below mine), I hate to take steel wool to it without checking with the creator. Thanks for the tip-

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
In the past most bows were really shining and people was able to kill game anyway,but I agree that dull finish is far better.You can use those limbsations or simply put some wax without rubbing it with a cloth.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Apadaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
owlbait- Can you expand on your idea for this "hillbilly? (ie. onestringer limbsations?

Offline Apadaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Felix- I am also known as "Dominque Frugal", so your recommendation really speaks to me. Thanks

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Check the sponsor forum for onestringer arrow wraps. They have a product called Limbsations that are similar to an arrow wrap that goes on the limbs. I put some on my Zipper T/d. I even had them customized to have our hunting camp name on them. I just took them off a couple months ago and the finish underneath was as good as new.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I like spandex limb skins from alaska bowhunting supply.I use em on all my hunting bows whether they are shiny or not.They will protect that nice finish as well from scratches and dings.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
You can use a rubbing compound to get the finish you want.There are different grades.It doesn't take a lot of skill.You can get it to semi gloss,satin or anywhere inbetween or bring it back to gloss if you want.And it will feel like silk.I think Birchwood Casey makes a product as well as other places that have products for wood and stocks.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
The limbskins also keep your bow quieter it you accidently tap an arrow or limb against it.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Limb skins all the way!
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I used finishing wax buffed on with steel wool to tone down a high gloss riser. Worked well.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
There is nothing magic about knocking down the gloss on the finish of a bow. Any of the guys here who do bow refinishing and restoration can tell you how to do it or do it for you. I hate to glue anything on my bow limbs that covers up the beauty of the bow on a semi-permanent basis. Cloth covers would be better. Why have a beautiful bow just to cover it up with plastic stick-on "skins"? You might as well go for the cheapest, plainest limbs possible if you are going to do that, and apparently you chose to get pretty limbs instead. I don't like my limbs getting scratched either, but I sure love to look at them in all their beauty. You can get a bow refinished if it gets too battle scarred. I would just get the finish dulled down a little.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
You can probably shoot a coat of semi-gloss or flat finish right over the gloss.
     Many bowyers shoot a couple coats of gloss on first because it is a tougher finish and then shoot with semi-gloss for the final couple of coats.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I just use some paste wax on shiny bows, don't buff it, just leave the dull film. Later you can either remove the wax, or wax it again & buff it shiny again. Easy & cheap! My kinda thing!

All the best - Q.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tater 2:
You can probably shoot a coat of semi-gloss or flat finish right over the gloss.
     Many bowyers shoot a couple coats of gloss on first because it is a tougher finish and then shoot with semi-gloss for the final couple of coats.
Good Idea!!  Thats what I was thinking  :thumbsup:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Having sprayed now somewhere around 50 bows I can explain a prosess that has worked well for me. When I first started I used the thunderbird high gloss finish. Not liking the so shiney look I learned a prosess from a furniture finisher. Wet sand the bow with 1500 grit wet/dry sand paper keep the paper wet and change often. You will end up with a duller finish than you will probably want. Do small areas at a time and wipe dry frequently so you get all areas sanded dull. After sanding the entire bow you will need to polish with pumise or a product called rotten stone. Rotten stone is a powder that is made of crushed stone. It can be found at upper end paint stores( not sherwin williams). You simply take rag dip it in water then in the powder and gently rub all over the surfase. Once this is done you wipe the surface clean. And polish with paste wax. What you end up with is a satin finish thaqt is extremily smoth and deep looking.  This is known as a hand rubbed finish and after your don you will know why. This is not a complicated prosess just takes a little elbow grease and the nerve to do it. I have now started doing 3 coats of high gloss followed with 1 to 2 coats of satin powdercoated. Just a suggestion hope it helps.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
You brag about such a great looking bow but then dont show us   :confused:

Wish I had advice for ya!   :)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
how about a thick coat of paste wax and dont buff it off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©