3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A perfect hunt blown!  (Read 721 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A perfect hunt blown!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
cat?

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
"The best axiom on deer hunting is only correct 60% of the time, and that includes this one"  Or deer being so predictable that you can set your watch by them.

Things happen throughout the day, while you are gone that affect what is going to happen while you are there.

If the deer are that predictable, stick with your plan, it will work.

You know I swear deer have patterned me by where I park my car or which direction I drive in.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
One of our guys in our shooting group brought a bob cat in that he caught in his trap line.
We cut it into small chunks, added some nice seasoning and pan fried it to PURR....FECTION.

Some of the best eating ever, NO LIE!!  But, having said that I like house cats and could never shoot someone's kiddy cat.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Put out a plate of lasagna and see if the cat will come to you, and you can catch him.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
I don't know about the patterning the deer to that degree.....but I, for one, have watched deer react VERY negatively to housecats.  The neighbor on the backside of my property has about 1000 barn cats and there is 1 particular one on my list...a big yellow SOB that's screwed me up more than a couple of times on deer over the last several years.  Maybe he's a big smelly tom, heck, I don't know, these deer have to see cats all the time...I've seen them run like crazy from this one.  I've personally watched deer 3 or 4 times get bent out of shape over this cat and heard them blow at him several other times.  One of these days......

R

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Was it a black cat?
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Saw this one a few weeks ago in the snow. This cat gets around as I saw it last year on the opposite end of the property. It was living in a log last year as I watched it come and go from its den. This is a camera phone pic from my treestand. Cat has good snow camo, huh?

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I've seen it happen.

I once had the largest buck I'd ever hoped to shoot working his way toward my treestand. I could see him at 200 yards...then 150...then 75. I had the bow in my left hand and binocs in my right. This gigantic buck was out in a brushy hillside and I was about 10 yards inside the woods...there was an old fencerow just 10 yards away. Squirrels were feeding and hopping through the leaves...chipmunks making noise, etc. Suddenly the buck went on alert and began studying the fenceline in my direction. I knew the wind was good without question. It turned out to be a barn cat working his way along the fencerow. The buck locked on the cat and would NOT come another step closer. He (buck) turned 90 degrees and went maybe 10 steps parallel to me at 70 yards...then identifying the cat he turned and walked (not feeding) 75 yards straight away without pause. That cat cost me dearly.

I managed to kill that buck from another tree about 3 or 4 days later...150 yards away.

Kevin

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Garfield wasnt Black.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Dang I never thought deer cared that much about a house cat.

I guess a predator is a predator.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
you're not enjoying the scenery enough
Make a life, not a living

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I've stopped looking for "reasons" that I don't see anything YEARS ago!!!!!

Deer are wild animals,not cows coming back to the barn at milking time. They are creatures of habit,but the bottom line is that they do what they want when they want. Can you pattern a deer??? Why YES!!! Actualy you can..... But,Can you "time" a deer??? The answer is simply, NO!!! Weather,barometer,activity,(both human and animal) MANY factors affect deer movement. A sharp drop in the barometer could make them get up and feed at noon. Then in the evening,they have no reason to get up and move. So, you do not see anything.

Pattern them them the best you can,then hunt!!!!! If you see them, GREAT!!!!! If you don't well, That's HUNTING!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
How far forward you think would make best shot placement? Probably should wait for a quartering away shot, but then again it shouldn't be too hard to bust through cat shoulder at broadside... hmmm...
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I will admit that I've never observed a deer's reaction to "puss in the woods", but I can tell you from watching them in my yard, they never seem to have a negative reaction to them.  I 've watched fawns actually chase them.

A dog in the woods......an entirely different story.  I hunt a lot in suburban settings and get hunts screwed up by wandering dogs quite often.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Within the last couple of weeks there was a picture on here or another site of a cat and a whitetail deer playing together in someones yard. Great pictures. I guess they just got use to each other.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
well well I don't think the cat had anything to do with you not seeing a Deer ,, without cats  you would be overrun with vermin, sounds like not everone likes Cats , but if you watch one go by hunting you will see they are excellent hunters with great skills
Gord

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©