3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elevated rest ??  (Read 421 times)

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Elevated rest ??
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Im thinking of trying an elevated rest on my bob lee and need help on setting it up? Im going to try a bear weather rest, do rest take a higher nocking point and also where is the correct place to put in on the riser? THANKS!

Re: Elevated rest ??
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I put feather rests on my wife's recurves, and position the arrow so that it is a short 1/8th inch above 90 degrees.  For the weather rests I used to put them as low as possible and then trim the excess off the side plate with a razor blade.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
When I used the Bear weather rest or Hoyt pro rest, I put it as low as possible on the riser. I also cut as much off the lower part of the rest as possible. The weather rest comes with a double adhesive spacer you may or my not need. This will be dependent on the amount of center shot of your bow and the spine of arrow you use. I covered mine with some real thin self adhesive felt or moleskin and also cut a small piece to put on the finger to give the arrow a smoother surface and prolong the life of the finger, that way I could just replace the thin felt and the finger didn't wear.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I found when using elevated rests I had a lower nock height.  I used/use a T-300 when I have an elevated rest on a bow...

Just a FYI, the only reason I used an elevated rest was to use vanes.  Vanes off the elevated never flew as well as feathers off the shelf.
I tried feathers off an elevated rest, and they didn't fly as well as feathers off the shelf. ..
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Feathers or vanes make no nevermind off a rest, they fly perfectly.  If you can't get feathers to fly well from an elevated rest, then you have another issue....maybe nock height or spine.

I use the same nock height shooting off an elevated rest 3/8 to 1/2 inch above horizontal.  If you are just at 1/8" above 90 degrees, the bottom of your arrow is below horizontal and will kick down....more than likely.

Chas....I'm only forty-five minutes from you, we can meet half way and I can show you how to set up that rest.  I use a Hoyt Pro Rest hunter model on mine.....super flight and it will allow for a greater variation in spine.  I PM'd you my phone number.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
You are more than likely going to have to MOVE your nock point. This does not mean necessarily you have a different setting from shooting off the shelf. If you think about adding a rest, you are raising your "shelf", so you will have to move your nock point just to keep things the same.

I like the option of using vanes and most of my hunting bows are set up with an elevated rest.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
I have had no difference in nock point placement. The best way to determine nock point for me is to shoot a bare shaft into a soft target. If it hits nock up lower the nock point. Vice versa on the nock hitting low.

NDTerminaator, if you can't get feathers to shoot off an elevated rest something is really wrong. I found that when I went back to using an elevated rest everything shot better. I was even able to get broadheads to shoot very well that I could not get to shoot well off the shelf. You have me scratching my head. Paul Schaefer used an elevated rest and vanes because that was the most accurate set up he could come up with.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I've been one of these Hoyt rests since 1967; first the Pro Rest, then the Super Pro, then the Hunter rest.  Simplest way to get great flight with no effect on barebow or instinctive shooting style.

This is my Necedah...leather on window in case I bump it with an arrow.  Not that I would do such a thing 8^).

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Chas, I use the Bear weather rest on my Hoyt Dorado and like it a lot.  Vanes shoot just like feathers off of it so it's great in rainy weather.  I use the same height above level as I do with the shelf.  Usually for me that's 1/2 inch.  So with the Bear rest I just go 1/2 inch above level from the rest arm.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
I couldn't get bottom vane clearance positioning my rests that low, George.  The vanes always showed contact wear and turning the nock didn't do a satisfactory job of correcting it.

Now shooting feathers that low would work, but unless a guy is shooting with a button, to my mind all this does is bring another factor to the table that may fail.  Might just as well shoot off the shelf then.

I too have an old Wing with the flat shelf, with those the elevated rest is really the only way to go.

Some of my bows (like my Kotas) have a radiused shelf cut in such a fashion that the rest is either on a curved or inward slanted window wall, made specifically to shoot off the shelf. With those, the elevated rest is a detriment to good flight...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Kevin Osworth (Limbow) has the best looking elevated rest I have ever seen on one of his bows. Normally, I don't like the way an elevated rest looks, but his doesn't look much different than a normal side plate until you get close to it. It is a Bear rest covered with moleskin. Check out the picture at this thread.  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=083100;p=3#000044  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
Amar911, a picture is worth a thousand words. That is what I was attempting to describe.

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
feathers or vanes always shoot better off elevated rests, if you cant get feathers to shoot right then maybe your nock point is to high causing it to bounce off the rest...all my homemade rests sit right on the shelf and I can shoot vanes no problem.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
"Never" & "always" are words that in my experience rarely apply in life, and less so in something so filled with variables as archery...

Were it otherwise, there would be no need for the selection of bows, arrows, points & broadheads, and in this case rest/launch platform methods available to us...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I'm going to throw a few things out for you all to chew on...not to argue about, but just theories, observations, and stuff that has happened to me.

Never and always...very true.  Never say never   :D    

Odds are  EXTREMELY high you will get better flight off a rest than off the shelf.

Think about it.  When you lay an arrow on the shelf, it is going to have maybe an 1/8 of an inch contact on the side and 2,3, even 4 inches of contact (if you say you build up a portion, that is an elevated rest   :p  ) with the bottom of the shelf AND that shelf is an immovable object.  With a rest, you may have 1/8" of contact at the most on both the side and bottom.  AND both surfaces typically have some "give" in them.

So, you  may  be able to get AS good of flight off the shelf as a rest, but due to physics, you should not be able to get better flight off the shelf than the rest.  You may think you do, but I'd venture to guess most guys saying they do haven't tried both.

I do a lot of experimenting with different vanes because I hunt a lot where I am going to be out for a week or two backpacking or camped out somewhere in the middle of nowhere.  I want the durability and flexibility of using vanes or feathers so if I get stuck on the side of a mountain and have to get soaked until I can finish my stalk, I'm going to have an arrow in my quiver that is going to steer my broadhead.  I typically don't have a warm cozy cabin to go back to to dry my stuff out.

I've found with my setups, I cannot get clearance with 3 fletch vanes.  It may be my rests (Bear Weatherest and a Trophy Ridge that I think was a Satellite, the one with the long arm), but when I fletch them up 4 fletch 60x120, I can get good clearance; no contact.  With feathers it makes NO difference.

I'm going to keep experimenting to see if I can get to 3 vanes.  I am hitting the edge of the arm, so I am going to try to find some of the Hoyt rests George is using.  The Super is the one I'm thinking I need, but am not sure how durable it will be.

I will also say I think all the stuff about keeping the arrow close to your hand is BS.  Your brain is much smarter than you are and it adjusts REAL quick to any changes. The 1/4 to 1/2 inch the rest moves your arrow is a LOT less than all the fancy diagrams make it out to be.

With all that said, Friday at Kalamazoo I'll be picking up my newest TallTines, and it is going to be outfitted with a Sealskin shelf and sideplate   :goldtooth:

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Good info there Steve. Maybe I will bump into you at the TallTines booth Friday!

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I use a weather rests on my Bob Lee (on the third one now, after wearing out the flipper on two) and use a 8" grinder to cut a curve on the bottom to get it closer to the shelf and set the balance point right where you measure brace height on the grip.  I even grind away a little of the flipper arm.  Works well as they wear from the top down.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Sound observations Steve O...

Some may have gotten the impression I'm anti-elevated rest, and nothing could be further from the truth.  I prefer an elevated rest and have shot a bunch, from the simplest to the more complex. There were simply some absolutes being stated, and a newbie might get the impression that a stick on rest will cure his tuning issues.

Here's what I've found, specific to my bows, shooting style, tuning needs.

At this time I own 7 bows, all fall within 51#-55# at my 28.5 inch draw.  They range from a mid-late 70's Red Wing Hunter with the 90 degree flat shelf/window wall common to production bows at that time, to a pair of Kota customs built by Tim Finley, which have radiused & cupped shelf and angled in window wall designed to shoot feathers off the shelf.

I have T-300's and one old style Bear Weatherest on my bows which are made with a flat window wall, so the arrow can paradox cleanly upon release.  These would be my two H2s, the Wing, and a Chiron Volcano.

The Kotas I mentioned are made specifically to shoot off the shelf, and in fact positioning a rest on the wall so the arrow sits cleanly on the rest at 90 degrees isn't possible.  My Lee TD Hunter is also made to be shot off the shelf and the window wall is actually curved outward toward the shelf.

To keep things KISS, I like everything set up the same to shoot the same arrows (I tune for 53# with a 2# +/-), but the Kotas and Lee have defied my every attempt to get really good flight with a stick on.  If I manage to get acceptable flight with one arrow with vanes, the same with feathers won't follow suit. I had to accept these bows require an arrow shot off the shelf with feathers to really perform well, and tuned as such.  Once I did, issues solved.

The flat window wall bows, on the other hand, work just peachy with a rest.  What I found is that for my specific circumstances, a rest positioned level on a square wall with the launcher arm 1/2" above the highest point of the shelf GENERALLY allow a tune to shoot both feathers & vanes well, adequate clearance for the lower vane, and allow a wider spine variance than does off the shelf.

A variable that has to be taken into account is the change to centershot a stick on rest creates, as they are almost all thicker than a the usual strike plate. Unless you are cut radically past center, a stick on almost always puts a bow at 0 or in the + centershot range.  Some, like that plastic model with the spline extension at the base of the launcher arm and the T-300 with the stainless splint point left on, can change it quite a bit to the positive.  This makes a big difference in the spine that will work. For that reason I like a T-300  as it has the thinnest base of any stick on I've tried. With the spline point removed it's as close to the wall as I can get.

I found that the added weight of vanes as opposed to feathers (as much as 30 grain increase, depending on the make of 4" vanes I use) makes a significant change to the spine of the arrow. I also use a 7" wrap (an additional 11-12 grains) and with alums, a uni-nock (which adds an additional 7 or so grains) to the aft part of the shaft.  This is signicant enough that I have to decide if the tune is going to be optimum for one or the other. I used to tune for vanes but decided as as my other bows have to shoot off the shelf and I'm keeping it KISS, my primary tune is now for feathers.  I then look for a vane/shaft combo to give satisfactory but not necessarily optimum flight with the feather tune.

Now if a guy has a berger button, he can really do some tuning.  I have a button and brass insert in my tackle box, and every now & then I look at my H2's with thoughts of desecration in my head...

For the record, I prefer a T-300 with spline point removed and replaced with a piece of rug rest. With my H2s & this rest set up, and measuring with an eyeball centershot tool I use when setting up a compound, they look to be +1/16" to +1/8" centershot (Cujo advises that H2 risers are cut about -1/8" past center).  I shoot 3 Under and find my nock point is slightly lower than the bows I set up off the shelf.  With rests I get down to 1/16" increments when setting the nock point, and find +5/16" generally is a good starting point, where off the shelf I work in 1/8" increments and start at +3/8".

Stu's Calculator has really been a big help in my fiddling, as it allows a guy to quickly ascertain the effects of various components, which can then be tested on the range. Thanks to this handy tool I pretty much know how to get a fairly wide range of arrows/point weights into a spine range that all my bows shoot acceptably well.

The only reason I shoot most of my bows with a rest is for the economy & durability of the vane option. Weather resistance is not an issue for me as I don't bowhunt in the rain, and I simply prefer feathers over vanes for most of my trad shooting.

That, and I just love to tinker with bows...                             :thumbsup:
"As Trad as I wanna be"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
ND,

Good stuff!

My latest experiment has been dealing with centershot.  I took that Satelite rest and cut it in half so I am just using the bottom, flipper part.  I originally tuned with the whole rest, then shot with a piece of zip tie under moleskin as a pressure point, then just thin moleskin on the side of the riser.  At 20 yards, from full rest to just the thin moleskin, my bareshaft group moved 4".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©