3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help with penetration  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with penetration
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
It seems to me the OP doesn't need a lecture on shot placement. Sounds like he knows where it should have been. I doubt he needs to hear it was his fault. We all miss - even the best and it's always our fault. The question is how can he increase his penetration. The evidence is solid. He cannot increase his penetration from more speed, or larger cutting diameter broadheads. The evidence Dr Ashby has accumulated is pretty darn convincing that he can increase his penetration by using extreme FOC arrows, extremely sharp single bevel 2 blade broadheads, and arrow weight of at least 650 grains and skinny arrows with larger diameter ferrule on the broadhead.

All this doesn't mean the shot he just missed would have penetrated for a kill. No one knows that. However, we do know that his odds of getting greater penetration go up if he follows those recommendations.

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »
Larry,
Sorry you lost one but am glad that you care enough about doing the right thing that you posted this to get opinions, sounds like he will probably survive [IMO]. Lots of good advice here as always, probably a few hundred years of total experience in this post. I shot 2018's for a few years a while back and they do work, best thing to do is go double lung one. Heck he may even come back by!

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Vince its just like riding a bike if you fall off just get right back on and go again.
I hope to see you at the high country choot this year.
LA
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by charles m:

Originally posted by onewhohasfun:
My number 1 priority is an exit hole. I think the good Doc's set up gives me the best chance for obtaining one.  
That's what the original posted did, and it didn't work.  I think that's the whole point of some peoples comments here. [/b]
not every 'best setup' can or will produce 'best results'.  though it does help to try yer best, methinks.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ladams:
Come on guys dont start beating me up aabout the shot being bad because if you go back to page one you will see that I was the first one to say the shot was bad. I never blamed the equipment i meerly asked if you guys thought the set up was adaquite.and if you thought if the arrow should have penetrated the shoulder, I understand that tons of stuff comes into play when you loose an arrow. I quess I was looking to ease the pain a little.I respect almost all of the replys here and some of them I have never thought of now shed some new light.
LA
It's too bad it comes to this a guy has a simple question and all the other gentlemen that explained BAD shots they have taken accused of blaming their equipement.  No one is perfect and I think we all know that.  It's a learning process and knowing when to shoot no matter what the tackle

Offline Mohawkbows

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Looking forward to the high country already, see ya there!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Ladams I was not trashing your shooting,or did not mean to do so.I was just concerned that there were those that think all it takes is a heavy arrow to fix such shots.While that may be true some of the time it certainly is not the case with most shots that did not hit where they are supposed to go.It is seldom the case with whitetail deer because most bad shots are through there bellys or livers.For those shots nothing beats a large broadhead that cuts enough to leave something to follow.We all blow shots at times.We are not machines only human.  :)  

ED no way I could stand hunting 300 days out of a year.After a couple days I am ready for a rest.  :D  I don't even want to think about skinning all those critters either!  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
...It is seldom the case with whitetail deer because most bad shots are through there bellys or livers. For those shots nothing beats a large broadhead that cuts enough to leave something to follow.We all blow shots at times. We are not machines only human.   :)  ...
absolutely agree on all accounts.     :thumbsup:

Offline Ladams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
no problems here james
I have been taking all this as constructive criticism.
LA
Soverign balistick 62"62#@28
Soverign balistick 62"60#@28
Krewson Snakey Osage 64" 52#@28
Seven lakes longbow 64" 59#@28
Moab 62"58#@28"
Big Jim thunderchild 58" 50@28"

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Zach,

It's too bad it comes to this a guy has a simple question and all the other gentlemen that explained BAD shots they have taken accused of blaming their equipement. No one is perfect and I think we all know that. It's a learning process and knowing when to shoot no matter what the tackle
Noone said it was the stinkin equipment that causes a bad shot.  Correct, noone is perfect.  The point is bad shots do occur to most everyone except George and a few others. There aren't but 1001 reasons why an arrow may hit the wrong spot.
The Ashby reports prove ways to make the most out of a "bad" shot.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
We strive to be the best hunting shots we can be.

Straight flying arrows, carrying razor sharp broadheads, guided by hands and eyes honed keen from untold hours of practicing. A bowhunters` responsibility.

We always learn something from the good AND bad experiences.

Your set up, as has already been stated, is good medicine for whitetails. Be brave, and hunt hard.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bonebuster:
We strive to be the best hunting shots we can be.

Straight flying arrows, carrying razor sharp broadheads, guided by hands and eyes honed keen from untold hours of practicing. A bowhunters` responsibility.

We always learn something from the good AND bad experiences.

Your set up, as has already been stated, is good medicine for whitetails. Be brave, and hunt hard.
another good response, to be taken to heart.     :thumbsup:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Richie Nell:
yessir.

imho, at the very least, doc's reports allow for serious considerations of arrow and broadhead design and build, to maybe try out, make up one's own mind.  i think that's all he's saying and offering.  

the human aspect of making the good shoot is always gonna be fraught with human frailties.

to err is human.  i prove my humanity daily.  :D

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
"Noone is without sin, no not one." Romans 3:10

I am very fortunate to be able to login and discuss these matters and learn, learn, learn.  There can't be a better place in which to do this.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Romans 3:10 love it!

I've of recent been reading up on doc's findings and have been shooting some Grizzly BH...I will be using a single bevel bh on a turkey this year.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »

Correction: The Ashby reports prove ways to possibly make the most out of one type of "bad" shot.

1. There's no guarantee that any arrow combination will make a difference in any bad shot. You can follow Ed's guidelines straight down the line and still not be guaranteed to get an arrow through a deer's shoulder bones.

2. There have been many folks here (Curt, Terry, Charlie, Ryan for example) who have made excellent cases for large, multi-blade heads in the event that said bad shot is behind the diaphragm.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Jason,

1. There's no guarantee that any arrow combination will make a difference in any bad shot. You can follow Ed's guidelines straight down the line and still not be guaranteed to get an arrow through a deer's shoulder bones.
You can also follow Dr. Ed's guidelines straight down the line and not see the word "guarantee"... or where he implies a guarantee.

Jason, what bow/arrow setup do you use that is better and more lethal on big bones than what is recommended in Dr. Ed's reports?  And where can I get a setup just like it?
Richie Nell

Black Widow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

Jason,

You can also follow Dr. Ed's guidelines straight down the line and not see the word "guarantee"... or where he implies a guarantee. [/b]
Exactly; hence my first point.

Jason, what bow/arrow setup do you use that is better and more lethal on big bones than what is recommended in Dr. Ed's reports?  And where can I get a setup just like it?
Impact with “big bones” is not the only bad shot possibility bowhunters face; hence my second point.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Some interesting reading for those that have some time.....

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=068449#000000
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©