3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 Piece Long Bows  (Read 407 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
2 Piece Long Bows
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I know I dont need one but I sure do lust for one.I have a 2 piece Griffin on order from John but Im retiring in 2023 and will be on a fixed income before its in my hands by the way its looking.Other than the big names like Shrew, Toelke and Centaur who are some of the other bowyers that make them with the bow bolt system?Theyre all very fine bows but Im just looking to see what else is out there.

Thanks,Izzy

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 Piece Long Bows
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Kohannah
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I belive Roy Hall is now using the bow bolt on his two piece longbows.His Apache is a beautiful bow and a good performer to boot.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I have a 2 piece Griffin on order from John but Im retiring in 2013 and will be on a fixed income before its in my hands.

Thanks,Izzy
I don't believe there is a bow made that I'd that I would wait three years for. But, that's just me and I'll second what Bill said about Roy Hall and his bows.

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Chek-Mate makes the Crusader longbow in a 2-piece.  A little heavier than the one-piece due to the phenolic riser, otherwise it shoots and feels like the one-piece.

Chad

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
I shot a 2 piece griffin with the bow-bolt at Denton Hill.  It was 58" and 45# and smooth out to 29.5" with no finger pinch.  What a great bow.  Someone who lives up in your neck of the woods bought it.  I'm definitely jealous.  What are the specs on your order?  I'm sure that you will love it.

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Black Widow PLV, chek it out !
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
I have a Holm-Made Osprey with a Bow Bolt. It is the only other bow I have with a Bow Bolt that is not a Shrew. Chad Holm makes an outstanding bow and his prices are probably too low for the quality he puts out. I think my Osprey shoots about as fast and as well as my ACS CX that costs twice as much, and that is with the $200 Bow Bolt option that adds about 40% to the cost of the Osprey. The Osprey will easily do anything any other bow out there can do at a lower cost than most. As with every bow on the market, one size does not fit all, so if you can, try before you buy. The Ospreys are definitely custom bows, and Chad can modify the basic design to fit your needs if you discuss with him on what works best for you. Chad is a sponsor here and is a heck of a good guy.

If you are willing to consider a different connection system for your two piece longbow, you might also want to look at Big Jim's bows. Jim makes a great looking bow, and the connection is simple and elegant. I have no personal knowledge of how Jim's bows shoot, but all the reports I have read are very complimentary of the feel and performance of his bows. They are certainly very attractive, and the pricing is relatively low, especially if you don't start adding lots of appearance options like I always do. Big Jim is also a sponsor here.

The Griffins are obviously excellent bows, and there is no two piece longbow any nicer (or maybe as nice) as a decked out Shrew Classic Hunter with a Bow Bolt. But you do tend to pay more and wait a lot longer for premier bows like those. You also have a year or more waiting period to save up the money to pay for them (which is not nearly as long as the two years I have been waiting for my Brackenbury to be built, or the year and a half I waited for my Blacktail Snakebit). All those big name bows are worth the wait. On the other hand, you can get outstanding bows like the Osprey without a long wait, and they will serve you well. A lot of what you pay for and wait for on the high end bows are their outstanding reputations, but those reputations are hard earned and well deserved.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Did I say I was retiring in 2013??? I guess that was wishful thinking, I meant 2023.Ill have to give the Osprey a gander.Ive heard lots of great stuff about Holm Made.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Thirteen years to get a bow?  That's worse than three   :confused:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 04:12:00 PM »
Many on here say great things about Big Jim's bows.
Tom

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Not a two piece, but I just got a 3 piece habu vyperkahn witht the longbow limbs, and all I can say is WOW!  I'm normally a recurve fan, but this bow will be getting alot of use!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Big Jim's 2 pc. and his new 3 pc. are definitely worth taking a look at. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I recommend a Sarrels Supestition with the bolt TD.  Bob is listed on the second page of the sponsor section.  Bob has good turn-around-time and he is also a very nice guy!!!
Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
so many good 2pc longbows to check out ... no secret i love the way my  mohawk  feels and shoots.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I really like the BW "lock it sock it" take down system. Both of my Widow longbows are takedowns.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Quinn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I'll third what Bill said about Roy Hall, got 2 of his bows, and agree with you regarding Dan Toelke, got 2 of his bows too.
"If you put the federal government in charge of the  Sahara Desert , in five years there'd be a shortage of sand."   ~ Milton Friedman

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I friend of mine bought that bow bolt Griffin at Denton. It's the only bow he shoots now.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
I shoot a Roy Hall Apache with the bow bolt. It has a snug fit and shoots very smooth.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wapiti Chaser:
I friend of mine bought that bow bolt Griffin at Denton. It's the only bow he shoots now.
Do you have his address and work schedule by any chance.  I'm just saying.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©