3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather shooting  (Read 422 times)

Offline lucky strike

• Trad Bowhunter
Cold weather shooting
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:00 AM »
I have always shot 60 lb longbows and have no problems in a warm climate. This year I went out in temp of about 25 degrees.I had a buck not 20 yds away.I drew my bow and could not get it back
half way. The buck just stood there and gave me 3 more tries which got worse.I was completely P----sd off not being able to draw.
I went and orderd a 45 lb at my draw and "bingo"
no more cold weather draw problems-I was amazed at the clean kill I got with the new bow at that poundage.I would say it's good to about 25 to 30 yds-That's enough for me.
Do any of you guys have or had the same problem??
LS

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I start out the season in Sept shooting one of my 70# bows....its warm, humid and I don't have a problem staying loose.

Bought mid Nov I drop down to 64#s ....and on really cold days, or hunting in TX where you have to be still for long periods of time with deer around I drop down again to 60#s.

Nothing worse than being on stand an can't handle the bow when the moment arises.   "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"    "[dntthnk]"
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »
Sorry about your problem, but glad to hear that I'm not the only one.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
I learned that lesson a long time ago on the biggest buck of my life.  I now hunt with 45 and 50lb bows.  If they are strong enough for deer in the winter, they are good enough for early fall.  

Best part about light bows is that you can shoot them to your hearts content   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Up here in God's Country, 25 degrees during deer season is considered darn near balmy. I would guess the average temp I hunt is 10 degrees and I've hunted (and killed) deer in temps as low as -10 and windchill of -35.

In fact, it gets so cold up here that the Democrats have their hands in their own pockets...   :D  

So being, I don't over-bow myself from the jump.  The three bows I hunt with the majority of the time are 52-53 lbs at 28" (I draw 28.5).
I have another that draws 51# @ 29" which is super smooth & easy to draw, if I need it.

Can I shoot heavier?  Sure, but until deer start
wearing body armor, there's no need.  Any of these bows will easily bury an arrow to the feathers or simply pass through a deer at 20 or so yards.

IMO, a bigger/more important consideration is actually practicing with the cold weather clothes you will hunt in.  More often than not, it necessitates a modification of form and when a buck is standing like a 3D target at 20 yards is not the time to find your string is going to hit your jacket sleeve, or the tightness across the shoulders makes you hit 6" right...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I have to agree with Tradbow, mighty hard to hit something, when your dressed like the Pillsbury Doughboy.
Jim

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
As a late season Michigan hunter I can relate. Nothing worse than feeling stiff and uncomfortable in your draw. Makes someone mighty unconfident.

But...if you can't even draw your bow, you made the right decision to decrease poundage in the winter months.

I've found underarmor and fleece, flip-top mittens to be the key for drawing smoothly in cold conditions. I also duck under cover and do a few practice draws every hour. I ditched coats too. Too bulky. I just layer shirts.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I use heavier weight hunting out west in September, in part because I'm usually hunting bigger critters -- elk.  I drop down about 5# when I hunt deer in Northern Wisconsin during November, when the temps can easily get to zero or below.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
Like some others have said, I shoot a 70#er for elk hunting and whitetail hunting through mid-Oct.  Following that I shoot a 60# through the cold winter.  I haven't had a problem with this method and I think (but don't know) that dropping down in weight helps.

When I read NDTerminator, I did wonder if using the same weight bow - regardless of weight, as it is relative for all of us - would create a similar problem.  Obviously doesn't for him, but still wondering if it would generally ...

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
I plan for the cold (and sitting like a statue for three hours) as well.  

All my hunting bows are in the moderate weight ranges 53 thru 60#'s...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
sooo.. yall are saying that cold weather makes your bows have a heavier poundage?
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I shoot a 65#er from January to mid August to stay in shape.  Then I switch to my hunting bow which is 58#.  By the time really cold weather hunting arrives I can feel confident the lighter bow will respond.
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
When it is below 30, I wear a ThermaCare back heatwap on my pulling shoulder.  It sticks right onto my skin.  Keeps me warm.  Only way I can pull my hunting bow in the cold.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I shoot the same 70# bow all year even when its 10 below 0 and never had a problem.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
You guys are way to calm. My adrenlin is pumping when everything is right, I think I could pull a 100# bow.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by dan ferguson:
You guys are way to calm. My adrenlin is pumping when everything is right, I think I could pull a 100# bow.
That's why I'm called the Terminator, bro...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©