3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new hunting buddy  (Read 274 times)

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
new hunting buddy
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
here is a pic of me and my little buddy jack. since ive had him he has made it known he loves to chase squirrels and rabbits. so ive started putting him to work. he has been doin his job fine. i haven't been able to get into position . to take a safe shot without gettin him hurt, any suggestions.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new hunting buddy
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Cabelas has the training collars slight shock to stop them it won't hurt them.and it will train him pretty fast as long as you are consist ant.Anyone ever tell you you look a little like Nugent.Thats a good thing in my book   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
reinforce with a lot of obedeance befor electro shock therapy maybe train with the neighbors cat i trained my dog o birds and all i did was talked to her all the time now she is top rate on them pheasnts

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
What kind of dog is Jack ?
Paul

Offline hunterace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
that pup looks just like my dog. here's a pic of him when we first got him 14ish weeks old. he's 2 or 2 1/2 now, can't remember

A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer

Offline blazelefty7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
What kind of pup is that?

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 04:09:00 AM »
train it on whistle to stop, sit, and look at you.  did it with my lab for upland...once the bird flushes i let out the whistle and he sits stops and watches.  its hard to get em to do it especially when they are on the chase but thats where alpha dog comes into play.  its more teaching him your word is law and the second you say a command it is to be followed.  stat slow with basic commands sit stay lay down etc.  get him obediant and work on harder and harder thijngs getting him distracted then breaking his concentration to always focus on you.

ive used many tools with my labn ranging from a shock collar to bull whip to repetition.  they are jsut that tools not sure alls.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
jack is a miniture pincer/french bulldog mix. he just turned 2 this passed oct.he is one serious sight hound. when he gets locked in on game he really does a good stalk to close the distance. he does well at treeing squirrells. its the rabbits i want him to freeze at.i can tell he is a natural at it but we both need work.because he is a terrier type dog, he has a tendancy to be stubborn and sensitive at the same time , i know i have to work around this. any training methods i can use to make it fun instead of a disipline thing?
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Well first off...Jack sure is a good lookin' dog.
Know what ya mean about keepin' it fun, but ya do need to get the discipline workin'.  Not too much, not all the time, but when it matters he needs to listen.  It's for his own safety.
  As far as how to do that......I dunno.  :smileystooges:

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Enroll yourself and him in a basic dog obedience class.  He will learn how to obey your commands, but more important you will learn how to give the proper commands.  It is the first and most important thing I do with every dog; this includes both hounds and labs.  Specialized hunting skills are easy to teach after the dog has been taught how to learn instructions in an obedience class.  Another important aspect is the dogs become manageable, and therefore more likable, around other people.  It is never any fun being around somebody else’s rowdy pet.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
One other opinion:  More hunting dogs have been ruined with improper use of a training collar then have been successfully trained.  Don’t get me wrong the collars have their place and I have used them, but please, if you do not know how to properly use them, don’t use it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
He looks like a good buddy  :)
But there's no need for shock collars..
As stated earlier, an obedience class is enough.
Have fun with him, don't send mixed signals and stay in charge.

If you can't train a dog without physical punishment, don't get a dog.. Imho!

Anyways, I hope the two of you get many a good trip together!
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Properly used shock collars can be a humane and very effective training method.  They can also save a dogs life by preventing him from running in front of a vehicle.  I have an electric "invisible fence" as well as an electric bark collar.  My dogs have not been shocked by either in years because they learned not to in the training process.
"There are many ways to skin a cat."

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
make training a game keep it short and sweet and always keep them wanting more.  if he dloes good praise the hell out of him and when he does wrong reset the scenario and run it until he does right then praise.

if he has the desire to please he will do whatever you want!

sveind they are not inhumane they are a training tool.  if used properly they are extremely effective but there is always some people who think its a punishment tool.  if used properly it doesn't hurt at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©