3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snap!Crackle!Pop! It Stinks getting old.......  (Read 564 times)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snap!Crackle!Pop! It Stinks getting old.......
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Same thing here with my right knee, and I always know when it is going to rain.lol
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Turned 55 in November. Worked constrution for longer than your on the planet.    :archer:    :goldtooth:

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Ben, wait just another ten years. I am 45 now, both knees, both shoulders have been done in the last two years. I have been rough on my body though!! I agree with the fish oil and keep active! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Ben,  I'm 29 and have the same problems brother!  When I'm in a stand or brush blind I'll try to crunch down and stretch a little and draw my bow a couple of times about every 30 minutes to an hour to get all the pops and cracks out.  I know that's not possible when games around though but it helps when theres down time.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Looks like I'm gonna have to get me some fish oil too.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
Dang sissy kids.  My knees have been poppin since 1960 baseball season, and they still pop at 64.  I still have them though, and the legs that accompany them...dang grateful to the good Lord for that.  34?  son....I have clean socks that old 8^)))))).

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
I am 52 and am going to have laproscopic surgery on my right knee in a couple of weeks IF it will be OK to start scouting for turkeys by March 1. Done had my right shoulder done. Need my ankles fixed and left knee but that will have to wait till after turkey season. I aint doin none of it if I have to miss turkey season. It will have to wait. I hurt somthin aweful in most of my joints. Who ever said you have to be tuff to grow old was right. I set in a treestand 10 hours last week and had to stay in the bed for 3 days!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 03:06:00 AM »
I'll be 62 in late Feb. I had a scope job on my right knee in 1994 and another on the same knee in 2004. In Oct. 2005 I had my left knee replaced in may 2006 my right knee replaced. Bad ankles and carpal tunnel in both hands/wrist and various other pains and noisy joints.
I have found it helps to do stretching exercises. Also, ride a  bike. And go out and walk. I do better walking on dirt or grass rather than sidewalks or paved trails. Much easier on my ankles. Jim

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
Ok just stop it already ok.....geez louis  :rolleyes:

I wasn't sore at all but you all are making me that way. Power of suggestion.

Jer Bear

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
Getting old ain't for sissy's!!..lol your right Mudd. You folks think you have problems.  In 1995 I had a heart valve replacement and it’s not rubber or something soft and it makes noise. When I see a deer or good a looking lady it sounds like a marble in a tin can. Just try a get close to a deer with that problem. At 67 I’m still trying.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
I am 41 and have had 3 knee surgeries. Somedays it just aches to ache.

As you get older you will realise that somethings just make noise and most you won't ever be able to explain. And somedays you just wake up with stuff hurting for no reason. at work we have named these "Old Man Injuries".

When I was in my mid 20's I worked with an older gentlemanthat had cancer. He would go and get his chemo treatments and then come back to work. Really tough old german dude. I use to give him a ride home on Friday nights. He use to tell me all the time-

" Getting old ain't for sissy's!!"

No truer words have ever been spoken.
Always remember the healing power of music, laughter, and the outdoors.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Sounds like we ALL need to just start wearing ear plugs---then we won't hear all the cracks and pops we make!!  :bigsmyl:  

Guess the joints are one thing that don't "get better with age".......
Glad to see so many old ,decapitated folks still enjoying the hunt---gives me hope!!

:goldtooth:    :goldtooth:  

(Hope I didn't offend anyone with that one!)
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
At 56 (and counting), the old knees do pop every now and then, especially following any period of inactivity (like sitting in a treestand).

My bow arm, wrist and hand were kinda put back together after having a horse roll over on me (as they say; if you have horses, you are going to get hurt!).  I ended up with a compression fracture that left everything about 3 inches shorter than normal.  Basically all the bones pretty much disintegrated.

The orthopedic surgeon that put everything back together said I would have severe arthritis in that arm(/wrist/hand) within 5 years.  This was over 17 years ago.  I thank my lucky stars that arthritis hasn't reared its ugly head, but, I will admit to somewhat creaky elbows in both arms.

Creaks, pops, etc. are all part of getting older.  Go with the flow, keep shooting, and hope that the animals don't ID you by hearing those noises.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
39 now, had first back surgery at 35 and the second is around the corner. It is a challenge to drag a deer out of the woods anymore. Maybe because this spare tire around my waist is weighing more than some of the deer I am draggin. lol.
>>>------Scott------->

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Keep the Faith!!It'll all come together!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Ben....it's dilapidated, not decapitated...that's a whole different cut...(pun intended).  Even an old house...dilapidated if you will, will be a grand place as long as there is warmth inside and an appreciation for the life we are given.

Legs can ache....but we still have legs, and on a good day I can still jog into town without coughing up a lung, or bleeding from the eyes.  Life is good....pay no attention to those snaps, crackles and pops.  They simply mean those knees are still bending.

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
52 y/o old and knee surgery as well, a popping knee just doesn't sound like anything that ought to be in the woods to a deer. Lots of motrin, glucosamine and omega 3 capsules help but it's getting harder and harder to be sneaky.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
You guys make me feel better about myself. It's some small consolation to know I'm not suffering alone.   :biglaugh:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Have any of you guys seen, and remember, the opening scene of the movie "North Dallas Forty" with Nick Nolte? I watched that movie about a hundred times while on alert status duty in Korea, as it was the only movie we had. I used to laugh at him getting-up the morning after a football game. Now I am him.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Ben....it's dilapidated, not decapitated...that's a whole different cut...(pun intended).
Thanks George, for catching that one! It would be quite difficult hunting after being decapitated!!!  :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©