3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vibram Five Finger stalking  (Read 539 times)

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vibram Five Finger stalking
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Greg Skinner:
Read the book "Born to Run" and you will get a different perspective on footwear.  
I did and I have.  This book hit home with me too.  Shin Splints and PF have bothered me for years.  I used to run 60 - 80 miles a week in ... wrestling shoes.  Thin soled no heel cushion or arch support.  Never had a problem.  A light went off in my head when I read this book.  That is how I found out about the FFV so I want them for the running reason too.  My Asics are getting junked.

How cool would it be to Pursuit Hunt with a bow and arrow?  I am trying to convince a buddy that we could do it.

You know I haven't read a better "traditional" book in a long time.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
How cool would it be to Pursuit Hunt with a bow and arrow? I am trying to convince a buddy that we could do it.
The best part was that they were tracking individual animals by the pattern in their scat. Each intestinal track leaves a type of "finger print" on the feces that you can use to follow a particular animal.  When I read that, I thought "Amazing, I'm learning a hunting technique in a book on running!".

By their description, pursuit hunting is something that could take a long time to learn. Seems to be a lot of detailed knowledge required to be successful in keeping a herd animal out of the herd and identifying it once it gets to the herd.  I think it would also require a particular type of terrain. In our eastern hardwoods I can't imagine it would have much use.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
They look CREEPY,but,also look like they would work for closing the distance.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I like ankle support and it would seem that lots of debris and junk could get into them...  :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Heck, I couldnt  RUN  if I was Going Down-Hill!!  :rolleyes:   Just Curl up in a Ball like Da Armadillo and  ROLL  Baby  ROLL!!  :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I can still-hunt in my running shoes...I actually like them for that purpose...don't need no toe socks for hunting deer.  Not that there is anything wrong with that 8^).

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Do real men wear toe socks?   :eek:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
My feet were really hot and my toes were lonely for each other.
Great way with words.  That got me giggling for some reason.

:bigsmyl:

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Even wadded up socks make me crazy...have to stop and fix'em or I'm not having fun. I cant even begin to imagine having something between each toe!
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Str8Arrow:

How cool would it be to Pursuit Hunt with a bow and arrow? I am trying to convince a buddy that we could do it.
By their description, pursuit hunting is something that could take a long time to learn. Seems to be a lot of detailed knowledge required to be successful in keeping a herd animal out of the herd and identifying it once it gets to the herd.  I think it would also require a particular type of terrain. In our eastern hardwoods I can't imagine it would have much use. [/b]
So here was my thinking...

Go out west to do some speed goat hunting.  Carry some bino's and find one goat with some really specific marking and make that the one.  You wouldn't have to run em dead just to the point that they would let you get into bow range.  I think that they would start running later and later allowing you to get closer and closer.  Anyway just a thought.

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Goats? Are you nuts?   :D    ;)

I'd probably make it about 30 yards before I fell off one of those cliffs. In fact, I'd probably just throw myself off a cliff to avoid the pain of the impending heart attack.

I was thinking it might be better to start off on a prairie chicken - a prairie chicken with a broken wing.

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
Well goats are about the only thing I can think of were you would have enough room to do it and were it would be hot.  You could try to pick off a sage grouse along the way.  I think it would be fun to try.  Plus how many people do you know have even given it a shot.  Make for a great story.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©