3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Packs for a weeklong stay in the sticks  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
Packs for a weeklong stay in the sticks
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
Hello...I'm looking for a backpack the would have enough room and be comfy to wear for aweek long stay in the sticks.  Something for backpacking and hunting..any ideas would be appreciated..must have a frame for carrying quarts and such.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Packs for a weeklong stay in the sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Kelty Super Tioga

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
I just picked up a Super Tioga for a two week trip in New Mexico. 'Philmont' for those that know. I've been using it locally with #65, sometimes you can get stuck with a heavy load. It will hold more than a person should ever have to carry. The pack will remove from the frame quickly if need be. I weight 170-175, its a comfortable pack, but I haven't hit the mountains yet either.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Although you said pack frame, have you considered internal frames? They hold the load tighter to your back.  A good fit on the waist belt is the key.  Pricey to some(still less than a high end bow) are kifaru packs at kifaru.net.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »
I never really thought of the internal frame..could ya pack meat out with that also..I suppose ya could if ya bagged it first..anyone with expierence on these packs as far as getting meat out.  Thanks for the help so far guys.

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
Ditto on the Kifaru...I've got a Spikecamp, Siwash and Longhunter Rondezvous.

Packs are a pesonal item though...what fits some might not fit others. That being said, Kifaru will take the pack back no questions asked for 30 days after purchase...which is comforting to know when spending that much money.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
I use what I think is called a moose pack/bag.  I've had it for so long, I can't remember what it's called.  Cabelas sold it.  Think it still does.  A fairly inespensive rigid frame pack.   Easily packs gear and food for a week's hunt.  Elk quarters, too.  Use it just for packing in and out though.  Then it stays in camp.  I use a smaller day pack while hunting.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
Gottabow,
   Internal frame packs are great for packing meat I have an old (17yrs or so)Kelty prototype internal frame and it can hold a Elk hind quarter plus. If you are packed in very far your going to bone out your meat anyway so the bag is really handy. Carry a trash bag to line your pack or wash it when you get home. I think they are more comfortable over the long haul.

Tater
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
The Tioga wouldn't be a good choice for removing the pack to be used as a freighter frame. Its design is a radius,while comfortable,not good for lashing to. The inside divider is zipper for removing, thus it becomes a very large duffle. Stoutly built and inexpensive. Definitely bag meat and pack it.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Gottabow , I needed a pack a few weeks ago on short notice and went to the local Army-navy store and picked up a light frame and pack for about $60 and is probably the best one I've owned . You can take the pack off and have a frame for meat , the pack comes with a lot of compartments too . the best part about it is the way it rides on your hips with an airspace up your back so you don't sweat as much . Fred
Greyfox54

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Badlands 2200.  You can shoot while wearing the pack quite comfortably also.  Check out their incredible warranty.

http://www.badlandspacks.com/packs.php

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Check out one of our sponsers, Bison Gear. Angelo can hook you up for sure!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bvalentine002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
Jansport Carson

Use Froogle to find the lowest price.

I got mine for $58 (MSRP is 130)
:-)
Brett

Offline David Sapp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Going out with a bow and backpack is one of my favorite things. Kind of like the old Reeces Cup commercials when the chocolate and peanut butter gets mixed and everything gets better!

Before you pick a backpack, you really have to know what you're willing to be with and without for a week in the woods. A minimalist pack like a mid 2000 cc capacity might get you by, but most people can't pare down their load to those dimensions, esp if there is a question of packing out a big game animal. I use about 4000 cc in my Kifaru and most of my gear - tent/bag/stove etc - would be considered lightweight and packs very small.

Price is also an issue. Kifaru makes an excellent pack and is what I prefer. Another high end pack manufacturer that a lot of backpacking hunters prefer is Mystery Works by Dana Gleason. There are less expensive packs and many people have good results with backpacker/mountaineering packs like Gregory or Arcteryx and choose a neutral color scheme. You can buy these easily on fleabay, etc.

Of all the issues, fit trumps them all. I have a Gregory and a Mountainsmith in addition to the Kifaru. They fit me well. But I tried one of the original Dana Design packs when they were made in Montana and it was pure torture on my hips. A good backpacking store with an experienced fitting staff could help you narrow it down to a few brands and then you could pounce on a used one in the same model/brand if you did not buy new. Load the pack down while you're in the store and get the straps adjusted properly. You'll know if it is comfortable fairly quickly after walking around some.

If you get interested in this and would like a copy of the backpacking list I use for my CO elk hunts, email or PM me and I'd be happy to get one out to you.

Best of luck, it surely is a good time to be out with everything you need on your back and a roamin'

David
Hunting with the bow and arrow involves earning your way by making meat, getting your hands messy in the process and then recognizing your own reflection upon them.
"The Squirrel Chronicles"
Dean Torges

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I pack in for two weeks at a time using a freighter frame with my camp gear and Bison Gear Elk Hunter pack tied on. After setting camp, I then hunt out every day using the Elk Hunter pack. Angelo can customize it. If I take an elk or moose I have the freighter frame in camp.
Mike

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the Badlands line...
I own three.

small one is 1100 c.i. Monster Fanny Pack that's connected to a Camelback, (gotta have my water)

middle one is a Badlands 2200 c.i.  Internal frame General purpose overnight or 2.  Handles Elk quarters nicely, thank you very much!  Has room internally for my Camel back bladder, (gotta have my water)

Big one is a Badlands 4500 c.i. internal frame all the bells and whistles, Has room internally for my Camel back bladder, (gotta have my water)

You will not find a better bunch of folks to conduct warrantee business through.  :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pintail_drake2004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
spent 2 weeks at the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) this summer canoeing and backpacking and my bro and i ended up buying an Alaskan II from Cabelas (i dont know if i can post that company here or not??) they have plenty of room, light weight, and we ended up haveing more room than we needed. Lots of pockets, and a place for a gun/bow clip to have easy access at all times.  and they apart easily for storage. We got the advantage camo ones.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Kifaru Longhunter
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 05:48:00 PM »
A good fitting pack is as important as good fitting bots IMHO...

I have an old Gregory internal frame that I love (I 've had it probably 16 yrs or so). I used to have an old external frame (kelty) I liked it too!!! But if anything other than an established trail I'll take internal...

I good fitting pack is the key and especially on in internal frame. Good to a good store and get fitted...

IMHO (I used to Back pack and worked in an outdoorstore years back)  Gregory, Arcteryx, Dana, and Mountainsmith are great brands... There are others, but I only would reccomend those as in my experience they will usually only be sold by reputable fitter who will first measure you (torso length), and adjust or change the belt or shoulder straps (they're interchangeable) to suit your needs...  As for the others, I am sure many are fine...  BUt When one actually fits good and distributes weight well... It makes a world of difference out on the trail. Being comfortable is much better than suffering up and down mountains with 60+ lbs of gear...

Good Luck!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
I have a alasken frame and pack. It works real well for what you want to do this fall. If you want I can bring it up when we go bear hunting this fall. You can bring it back down when we go after pigs later in the year.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©