3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bearpaw chopper vs. Feather burner  (Read 269 times)

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
Bearpaw chopper vs. Feather burner
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Which one is more precise and user friendly?  I have some little choppers and precision and repeatability is terrible with them. Does anybody have any experience with the bearpaw.  Looks like a very well built tool much easier to set up and use than the burner.  But is it precise enough to have every feather the same?
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Bearpaw chopper vs. Feather burner
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
the difference is that a burner allows for a custom shaped fletch and the burning part has lotsa stinky smoke, while the chopper limits to s very specific feather shape, no stink, just the smacking noise of the chopping blade.  

i've burnt fletchings for decades, now i just prefer to chop.  either will get the job done.

for burners, the young is the defacto standard.

for choppers, they all get the job done - dunno about the bear paw, but the german vario is Superb.  i use a vario as well as a few li'l choppers.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
I'd say go with the burner.......just do it outside.  :campfire:

Offline GangStarr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
youngs feather burner ALL THE WAY

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I can't answer for which one is better.  But I can say I've called Kustom King and inquired about the Bear Paw.  They told me it was spring loaded which made the chopping easier.  I think once I get more involved in feather shaping that the Bear Paw seems like the way to go.  My opinion though.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I use the lil chopper,but after looking at the bearpaw I might pick one up.Looks like it is well made.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
The cool thing about the feather burner is that its versatile. You can cut different shapes with the same burner. It does stink something awful though  :)

Craig

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I love the smell of a feather burner, but choppers have their place too.  I use both depending on the circumstance. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
The BIG problem with BearPaw chopper is they have been advertising it for months and it is not working correctly! The slot that holds the quill in place is not quite right so they are doing some redesignig . Every time I call to order,it will not be ready till next month. When it is working though it sure looks like a great piece of work. Go to UTUBE there is a vidio.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dan White

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I ordered a Young burner today

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I prefer chopping to burning as well.  I have also been curious about the new bear paw.  If they get it working correctly it looks like the way to go.  I have a couple different shape choppers so I can do different feathers but from what I understand, with the new Bear Paw it has interchangeable dyes for different shapes.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
I'm going with the Bear Paw when they get them right. I hate the burned feather smell.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
If you want another option, give Herb of Herb's Archery a call (see sponsor list).  He is making a chopper designed after the Vario.  It is very well made, several styles of cuts are available.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
I still like my feather burner,I have had it for years and still working great.I have even used it to modify precut fletches too,I have cut down 5" feathers to 4" and reburnt the leading edge for youth youth arrows.

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
i have thought about getting a chopper but ive had my youngs burner for so long and really like it!im glad im not the only one who likes the smell.i burn outside or my family complains i guess they dont share my sense of smell.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
while i love the smell of burnt turkey and goose feathers in the morning, the missus absolutely don't.  i do most of my arra building during the cold season - ain't going out to the garage in 21 degree cold to mess with the young burner.  nope, not me.  time for choppin' ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
while i love the smell of burnt turkey and goose feathers in the morning, the missus absolutely don't.  i do most of my arra building during the cold season - ain't going out to the garage in 21 degree cold to mess with the young burner.  nope, not me.  time for choppin' ....
:biglaugh:    I was staining some shafts in the garage last night and the wife told me to open the door and take it outside.  I bout froze to death, I'm not looking forward to sealing them that's for sure!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Been trying to purchase a BearPaw since October with no success.
Bowmarks and I have been corresponding about it on a regular basis.
I've owned and sold my burner and choppers and am in dire need of a feather shaper.
I've pretty much decided to try the chopper made by Herb Haines,( lot of feather shape options ) and also pick up another Young burner.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
The edge of the feather from my experience seems to last longer with a burned edge.  It seems that the melting of the feather "seals" the edge.  I like the burned feather better, but I hate the smell!
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©