3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking outloud on virtual paper  (Read 544 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thinking outloud on virtual paper
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm so close to just typing out the ad to sell off all of my bows that it isn't funny. I need to simplify..... so I'm thinking of selling off everything until I get down to 2 bows.(one of these 2 being a "in my future" MOAB), the other would be just for a back-up.

It's an ad-hoc collection of self bows, a few old 50's style recurves, my Howard Hill Big 5, and a Legend bow by Jim Johnson that needs a some fixing which Jim has agreed to look at.

I know its not that I have too many but it's that the temptation is always there to shoot everything I own and as long as I do that I doubt I'll ever get as good as I want to be.

Any help thinking this through before I let thoughts turn to actions could be helpful. Right now, at this moment it seems a wise choice..simplify...

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
God bless,Mudd

PS I have to make sure there's a MOAB in my hand when all's said and done!!
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking outloud on virtual paper
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
You've got MOAB FEVER real bad fella....Know the feeling, but I don't have anything I want to sell.  Good luck..

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
I think it's a preference thing.  I know some poeple who say they can't own very many bows for this same reason and I know some guys that say you can never have too many bows.  Right now I fall into the latter categorie, I want as many as I can get.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
I was just thinking about thinning the herd myself. Then I thought, which ones do I keep and what goes..... I don't know if I can make that choice. I have some bows that I really like and some that are just real nice. Some that are light in weight and some that are a bit heavier......what to do, what to do...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
If you sell them off, you will just buy more...it's a sicness 8^)))).  I think it's called the Flemish-Flu, or something like that.
Or, maybe Deflex-Reflex-Reflux.  It's one of them.

Just have fun Mudd...shoot them all.  Just focus on the one you shoot best when huntin' time comes around.   :D  

Now....take two aspirin and call me in the morning.  Or, throw the aspirin into the air and shoot at them.  Your choice.   :knothead:    :bigsmyl:

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
There is a simpler solution, Mudd.  Just get rid of the strings off the ones you should be leaving alone!
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I don't know.  I can only think of a couple bows I've sold that I didn't later regret...

If you are going to sell a couple to get a new one, make sure the new one is that valuable to you...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Do you need the money or just thinning - if it's money it's different.

I sold two bows (shrew and a ACS) to get a new one...lost out on the two bows, but I really want the new one.

I could have afforded to keep the other two, but I bought the two to test them really and in retrospect I would never buy new again to do that EVER...like a vehicle - get a used one to test. I waited for 11 months for the shrew and only kept it 9 months..nice bow, but I liked the ACS better (to each his own).

I only see me with one bow for everything...that way I know it through and through.

So if it's thinn'in and you don't have a storage problem (and only you can answer this one) I would keep'em. You will never get out of them what you paid for them...collectors items someday too.

Jer Bear

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
Yeah I've been think of selling one of my other bows off to get another Big River, I wait a day and change my mind, I think I'll just get another Big River!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I find myself doing just the opposite. The more I shoot a wide variety of different bows, the more I have to make me more consistent, and overall a better shot on a day to day basis. To me it is just like adding software to your computer. I have buddies the same way, and some cant shoot but one bow. Each to his own I guess.
samuel koger

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Mudd you would probably say this,send the Hill to me and I will get rid of it for you.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Awfully hard not to sell something one already has to buy something one wants.  That's part of the fun.  For what it's worth, I don't buy the idea that shooting only one or two bows will make one a better shot.  While shooting sticks with hundreds, maybe thousands, of shooters over the past 50 years, my observation is that their ability to shoot well bears no relationship to how many bows they own.   Well, maybe a slight tendency for those who own more bows to shoot better.  But that's not a causal relationship, but rather a reflection of their commitment to and immersion in the sport.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Mudd, I understand what you are saying, as well.  I have felt from time to time that I would be a better shot if I just restricted my shooting to one or two bows that I consistently shoot well.  However, I can't go too long without looking at my rack and seeing a bow that I haven't shot for awhile and thinking, "My form is better, now, than the last time I shot that bow, I wonder whether I can shoot it better with the new arrows I have developed."  So I string it up and find that I do indeed shoot it better.  I believe shooting different bows forces you to pay more attention to form details, hence leading to better overall shooting.  I'm really glad I didn't sell one of them in a moment of frustration.  I think the people who have really solid, repeatable form can shoot any bow well - I guess that is what I strive for.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline ibehiking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Mudd;
  I'm in the same boat as you. I'm currently in the process of reducing the number of bows, and trying to resist buying new ones. I saw the following saying once . . .
  Passion - There are lots of things (bows) in this world that will catch your eye, but only a few will capture your heart. Pursue those.

I plan to try to heed that advice. I've decided which bows I truly have a passion for. The others I think somebody else should have a chance to own them, and shoot them. That makes it a little easier. Notice I didn't say that it makes it EASY !!!!  lol

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
I do need the money to finance a new bow..lol I just have to make myself come to that reality. I hate to let go of one without the other there to sooth me..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Well Mudd, if your really wanting to sell your bows off, PM me with the menu. lol  Really, you waited so long for the Big 5, you know you want to keep her.  
Look at it this way, you can just put $20 bucks a week into a jar, in one year you will have $1040.00.  There ya go.
OR, PM me with the menu...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
sell off all 'excess' bows.

don't really need but one main bow and perhaps a backup.

long since have decided to just use one bow.  makes me a better, more consistent archer/hunter, and judge of distances.  familiarity breeds accuracy.  

i sold off a lot of bows, but still have 3 others that won't get sold, and they'll get used occasionally by myself and guests.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Corn Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Beware the man who only shoots one bow. Of course I am just getting started and am unemployed so I only have one out of neccesity. I am an addict without the means to get a fix.  :D  Serioulsy if bows are like firearms you can never have too many.
My .02
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I work for a rehab!  Anybody need to come over?  Of course I will tell you how cool my bows are while you are trying to learn tools to deal with your addiction and recovery.

In IMHO, keep your bows until gramps needs to trade one for little archer on the way to have a kiddie custom!  Then if thats not cool enough trade another when you see something you have to have.  The thing about putting money in your pocket is, its gone!  Hanging a bow on the wall, well there it is!  

Personally I want 3 bows.  One lightweight one and 2 for hunting.  1 main and one back up or one 45 lbs and one 50 lbs.

No reason for more unless you want to collect.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
I done what your talking about doing a while back. Sold every bow I had and bought me a silvertip. I am determined to stick with one bow and be as proficiant as can be with it. I have to admit that I still get a hanker'n for another silvertip every now and then but I just fight it off! HA! Jason    P.S. Stay away from the classified's

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©