3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking outloud on virtual paper  (Read 545 times)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking outloud on virtual paper
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
My biggest problem is I put my hand to one... the owner almost had to pry it off. I've shot sweet before and I've shot those that go exactly where I'm looking. I haven't had my hand on many that filled both bills at one time, this one did!!!

I'm just trying to convince myself that I should give in to it, sell whatever I need to sell.

I feel a little like the messed up buzzard that said to his buddy.."patience Hell! I wanna kill something!!"

I readily admit my middle name ain't patience!!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Mudd.....ignore any logic and common sense that may be injected into these conversations. Those people are well meaning but should be summarily ignored 8^).  Sell!!!!   Buy!!!!  It's the American way son.....AHHHHHHAAAAAA.  Go for it.

Whew....now I feel better.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
MOABs are sweet shooters for sure!  Only other bow I own that isn't made by Bob Morrison.  

I've bought, sold, and traded quite a bit over the years and really settled into the Shawnee Dakota and to some degree the Arapaho (wish I could make them quieter...), also Bob's Cougar.  But, having heard so many good things about Jim's bows I had to try one...  Well, low and behold a MOAB popped up in the classifieds so I bought it.   It shoots side by side with my Cougars...  So, of course another popped up and I bought it too.  Literally identical in length and draw weight, have since sold, well actually traded the second one.  I also picked up a Mag, and although it's a nice shooter, not quite as sweet as the MOAB IMO...  So, I sold/traded that for another Cougar of all things.  

What I will say about Jim's bows, his is the first bow in a long time that I ordered a new one direct.  I needed one about 10# heavier than what I have and they just don't come up for sale that often.  Also, I've got two Cougars that are almost identical in length and weight of what I ordered from Jim, but it is ordered none the less.  That says something, as I know the depreciation a new bow has once it is delivered.  I ordered new as I know it will get used and I wouldn't find one otherwise.  Only other one I've seen in that weight range is Terry's, and that boy rarely sells a bow especially once he has dropped a fair number of critters with it.  ;)  

So, I'll have two MOABs on my bow rack along with a bunch of Bob's creations.  Jims are probably half the price tag but they stand side by side easily when it comes to putting an arrow where it belongs!  They're silky smooth, quiet, dead in the hand, and performs right with the top bows out there no matter the price tag.  They are lookers too, but not quite in the same league as some others in that particular category... Bob's for instance.  ;)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Sell em Mudd.  I have one longbow and ordered a second one to match.  Only bows I intend to own.  Beware the man who owns one gun!  Same with bows buddy.  I know it is tough but you can do it!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline loyd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 06:04:00 AM »
roy i think you should have a giveaway. put my name thanks. loyd

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Hay Mud,

I have the same thing, just 2 bows and they are exactly alike. One is 3 #s heavier though. Same length, but different woods. Thats the only way I  get consistant in your shooting. Simple is better for me!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Mudd, if you only wanted one or two bows, that's what you would have now--others would not appeal to you.  My bet is you won't be happy with just a couple of bows--you'll get the fever again and nothing wrong with that.  Currently I have 20 on the wall and shoot them all.  If my form is good it really does not make much difference which one I pick up.  A bow generally does not make up for bad form   "[dntthnk]" .
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline john luka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
Mudd,it is obvious that you desire a new bow,so get one...Luke

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Mudd,Ive told my self multiple times I only need one bow!Ive only ben in this hobby a little under a year and ive owned about 12 bows give or take a few.I currently own 5 (2 I bought new,one I made and 2 used)with the intention of making more of my own.Its a hobby.they are fun to make, fun to collect,fun to shoot,fun conversation pieces,if you buy used they hold there value well,and they dont eat anything.Well ive got rid of quiet a few in the search for the bow that fits me best.My dad and I even drove 8 hours one way to have bows custom fit to our hands.I only miss one bow I sold because the weight was too much for my shoulder when im shooting 200+ arrows  it in the yard.But I recently traded for a  replacement(same bow lower poundage).Bows come and go.I just wouldent want to part with one that I know I would wish I had back. Just because you shot well that day with the MOAB doesent mean you wont fined another bow next week you think is the best bow youve ever had in your hand.Thats why I own 5 bows.At one time or another each one was the best bow Ive ever had in my hand!LOL!.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »
Mudd,
My offer still stands. I'll train that Hill bow to shoot for you. I'll be up Monday anyway & can pick it up then. We'll just throw the others in my car too. They don't take up much room!  You were right about one thing tho. If you give them to me, I mean let me train them, in a months' time you will have forgotten  & I could sell, sorry I meant give, them back to you! What are friends for if not to help you in your time of need.   :bigsmyl:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
scottm, I hear what you're saying, as well as what the others are telling me.. excepting Loyd..lol and Butch...thanks buddy, we can always count on a friend to helps us out..lol

Hey Loyd how's you're new bow? I want details, maker, length,wt. ect, ect.....

I might think the same as you scottm if I didn't have a history with Thunderstick bows. I think I've been smart enough to have owned at least one of each except the MOAB before and silly enough to have traded them away because I wanted to try something different.

I have to ask myself why do I find myself coming back to this well... my guess is.. I like it. I have confidence in Jim's bows. The only bow of his I ever had any issue with was his recurve and I don't believe for a second that it was the bows problem.

Thanks everyone.. believe it or not this is helping. The picture is getting clearer as I get your input. I have made some real progress too as a result. I've had one phone conversation with Jim and have exchanged a couple of e-mails.

I think ir's just a matter of time and money now..lol Money being the more pressing factor. duh! Like I need to tell anyone that..lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
just send em to me. If you end up"needing" them back I'll send em back.    :smileystooges:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Best thing I did was to thin the herd down to basically my 3 Morrison Cheyenne's. I'm more consistent in my shooting, but I do like to have a couple of others just to keep me honest, lol.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Butch If Mudd takes you up on your offer to Train his bows for him.You better let me bring the truck.If he's still got half as many as he brought to Daves a couple of weeeks ago they wont all fit in your car.LOL!Hugh, that must be whats wrong with my bows some one never trained them properly.Do you think you could even train that up side down bear longbow of his?

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
Mudd,
No problem buddy. That's what I'm here for.

Scott,
I think it would be easier to train his Bear bow that to train him!
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
I had a Moab for about two weeks last summer.  It was beautiful, and well built, and fast....but I didn't not care for the shooting characteristics at all.  That, of course, is a reflection on my style I suppose, because there are those that adore the Moab.   :confused:  

The thing is....any bow may not be the perfect gem once it is in your hands....it certainly has to fit the person.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I'd best quit talking about them or the price might go up...lol
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
I know it is not nice to be happy about someones problems,  but I'm just glad to know there are others suffering the with same problems as I have.  It is so hard to just shoot one bow....

but excellence comes from discipline..

Joe
PS 6 months, 3 weeks and 6 days until elk season...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I tried to stick with one bow for a short period of time and it did not work for me.  I now have four of similar design, short R/D longbows.  I occasionally walk by the rack and think "I don't need 4 bows" but couldn't figure out which one to sell, so, the number stands at 4.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©