3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: no-leather longbows  (Read 387 times)

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
no-leather longbows
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Anybody take the leather grip material off of their longbows and go bare-wood? I would like to enjoy all the nice wood on my riser but not sure if it's a good idea.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: no-leather longbows
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
All my bow are just bare wood no grips. It can get slick in the summer months from sweaty hands and very slick with some gloves especially wool in the winter. I usually were gloves with the rubber grippers.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
If I buy another Hill bow, it'll be with the finished grip. Then you don't have to wrap it, but can if you want to.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I like the feel of wood on my hand. LCH

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by LCH:
I like the feel of wood on my hand. LCH
I agree.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
I almost always have a glove on my bow hand when hunting and don't like wood.  Just too slippery.

Besides, what you're really feeling is varnish or some other finish.  Very few of the bows actually have bare wood.  Why would you, it would just be a place for the moisture to get in.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
bare wood. no covering at all

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
For me I like and prefer a leather grip on a longbow,I like function more then looking at pretty wood.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
If it dos not have a leather grip I'm not buying it.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I like leather but I have been using the rubber sure grip and I really like it. It also comes on and off quickly. That way you can go naked wood if you want.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
Bare Bows look more primitive to me!! Either way i think it's personal preference...

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I put a rubber sure grip on all my bows. Leather soaks up rain and no wrap at all is too slick.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by T Sunstone:
If it dos not have a leather grip I'm not buying it.
Same for me.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 05:33:00 AM »
I like the feel of the wood in my hand, no leather for me.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
I also find bare polished wood way too slippery when I'm wearing a glove in cold weather.

I took the deteriorated leather off my Bear Polar when I got it and haven't made up my mind what to do next. The handle is wider than I like, but I do like leather.

How's that for being no help at all?   :goldtooth:
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Recently changed the original rubber grip on my BW longbow for a new one, which was a lot thicker and changed the feel of the bow entirely. Went ti bare wood and I like it better--most of my other bows are bare, also, I'm usually wearing a glove so it doesn't seem slippery to me.

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Personally I prefer a laced Leather grip.

For the guys who like bare wood, when you are wearing gloves if you rub a little string wax or Beeswax in the throat of the grip it won't slip and gives you better control, cleans off easy and is not affected by moisture.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
If I have to use a grip, it will be rubber, but I prefer none at all.  Leather looks great and feels good, but it holds moisture and scent.  If I shoot a bow with a leather grip all summer, by hunting season the grip is going to smell like something between dirty gym socks and an old jock strap.  MS whitetails are hard enough to get a shot at without that handicap.

Chad

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Rubber grips are awful....I would rather have a bare grip than that.  On a small riser, I like a leather wrap.  The more pistol grip the riser, the more I tend to leave it all wood.  That "slipperiness" allows for a no-torque hold, with locater grips.  Everyone is different.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
George, ya beat me to it.

I like either bare wood or a wound leather lacing for my longbows.  The slickness to me is a plus to keep from torquing the bow.  My current setup is narrow leather lacing (about 1/8" wide) wrapped around the handle and it is a really good compromise to me.  It is slick enough that the bow can still rotate in my hand yet the wrapped lace causes little dips between each wrap that give me traction vertically.  Basically, the bow won't slide up or down but it can still rotate but the rotation is a tad less than bare wood.

I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©