3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need to get started! (Wanna elk hunt)  (Read 520 times)

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need to get started! (Wanna elk hunt)
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Been looking at the "All wapiti" thread for about the millionth time. Like alot of the others reading it, A trad elk hunt tops my "One thing I must do!" list. 42 yrs. old, not getting any younger.

Here is a newbie Elk question: Where and how do I get started?

Will take any and all advice!!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need to get started! (Wanna elk hunt)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
43 and in the same boat.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
First,Start now ! pick up a copy of Mike Mittens book "One with the Wilderness" Start Heavy Walking in your town and keep it up .Practice shooting from all kinds of awkward positions with the equipment your going to use.So many options Guided,Do it yourself,Backpack,alone,with friends etc etc.Elk hunting can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be.Read as much as you can get your hands on from seasoned hunters .Lots of people on this site can help,a great bunch.Good luck.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
26 in the same boat.   :bigsmyl:
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
If I were you, I'd pony up the funds and go guided my first time in elk country.  Why?  You'll learn more in that 7-10 days with an experienced elk hunter than you would 7-10 years on your own.  

If you can't afford a guide, then to start, you need to pick a state, then pick a unit, then start studying maps.  Read, watch and listen to all the elk hunting media you can find.  Get in shape, save up plenty of time off, so you have 3 days on each end of the hunt for travel, scouting and recovery.  Be willing to spend 10 or more days in the field hunting and don't give up, especially if you're having a hard time finding animals.  Being in shape really helps.  Lots of folks on here willing to help.  Start planning now and JUST DO IT!  Did I mention being in shape?  Good luck!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Don't worry about the age numbers, last year was my first Elk hunt, I'm 65 and there will be many more.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Slivrslingr- That's probably my safest bet. I guess I should probably start researching guides/ outfitters to find out what I will need to do.

Bjorn- Thanks for the inspiration!!!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Get in shape.
With all due respect, I would not hire a guide.

Get in shape.
If you are a car/truck camper, I would research an OTC unit in Colorado. Drive as close to a wilderness area as you can. Set up camp and walk your butt off every day.

Get in shape.
If you are a backpacker, even better. Hike into the wilderness area, set up camp and hunt.

Get in shape.
Non-resident archery elk bowhunters are probably 10% successful at best. A guide might increase that a few % points.

Half the fun of elk hunting is planning your hunt for 50 weeks.
Get in shape.

With the $ you saved on the outfitter, get some good ultra-light backpack gear to get farther in.
Get in shape.

After a few years of DIY if you want to try an outfitter/guide you will then have a better idea what to look for. my 2cents.

Outfitter or DIY I would plan on getting in shape because even with a great workout schedule, us flatlanders suffer that first day at 10,000'.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
probably need five grand for a bull....if you go with an outfitter around here..

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Lots of options out there.  Probably the easiest thing that most people do is Colorado.  They have over the counter tags in most units.  Colorado has a lot of elk but they also have some of the roughest country.  Most outfitters in CO will do a drop camp if you don't want to go guided.  Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana are all draw states.  Depending on the state and the size of bulls will depend on the price of an outfitted hunt.  I've never done an outfitted hunt so that is about all I know.  I prefer DIY just becuase if I kill an elk, it was becuause I figured out how to.  Take the advice about getting into shape and start doing it now!  I would also agree that you need at least 10 days on a hunt.  Listen to these guys on Tradgang, they have years of experience that may help cut down your learning curve.  Good luck!
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Colorado Division of Wildlife has (I heard but not sure) changed at least one over the counter area to a draw area....maybe around Gunnison...don't hold me to that though...I'll check it out with them...also I see the 2010 price for a guided elk archery hunt is $5950 with one of the more famous outfitters...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
44 and went on my first ever elk hunt two years ago. It's a must do. Get in shape, wear wool socks and soak it all in is my advice.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Read Lost Arra's post.  Over and over, especially the part about getting in shape!  Not meant to scare you - but the better shape you are in the more you will enjoy your time in the mountains.

As far as guided versus unguided goes, there are pluses and minuses to both.  If money is not a big issue, and you can hook up with the right guide you will learn a bunch in your first trip.  And that can shorten your learning curve.  But if you have to put off the trip a few years to save the money for it, I would say forget it and just go now!  As you said, we're not getting any younger, and I sure wish I had started earlier.

Read all that you can find, through posts here, books, magazines, etc.  Spend countless hours on the internet searching states and areas you might be interested in.  Buy the Elknut DVD's for a crash course in elk hunting from one of the most knowledgable and successful elk hunters around.  The Primos Truth Series elk hunting videos are also well done and informative.

Last, but not least, be prepared for an addiction to take ahold of you like nothing else you have ever experienced!  Elk hunting is not for everyone, but it is also like no other hunting I have ever done!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
Lost Arra is spot on.......GET IN SHAPE! Hunting Elk is the easy part getting to them is the hard part. Like others have said plenty of OTC units in Colorado and you can research last years archery harvests online to give you an idea of the units you want to hunt. Ultralight gear can be expensive but it makes ALL the difference when weighing your gear forget pounds and count ounces!

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
one more; (maybe helpful) ..get the stats for the bull to cow ratio for the game management units from the division of wildlife...that "might" be an eye opener ; especially if you're looking for a bull, success rate percentages are very low for archery elk hunters in general...whether it's an out of state or in state hunter.. good luck

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
To put Lost Arra's post in perspective, "An elk can go in 3 minutes where you can't get in 5 hours."
Tom

Offline jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
If you decide DIY, I would STRONGLY suggest you have an outfitter or someone to help with pack out. Way to many people get one on the ground and have an "awakening". They ain't a whitetail.
If guided (my recomendation) is totaly out of the question I would at least fork out the dough to be packed into/out of the area with a mid-hunt check to get meat packed out.
My 2 cents

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. I guess the one big thing I have to think about is if I try to go the DIY route, is that living in SC is a long way from elk country. To have to plan on going almost every year to  prepare properly will probably be out of the realm of possibility. An outfitter will probably be my best option. But as most of you have said, it would be nice to do it on my own.
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
You don't have to spend big bucks just to go elk hunting  :thumbsup:  

Don't let that scare you though you will have a blast. We have always done DIY and for under a $1,000. Shoot, My son and I drove up to Oregon with one elk tag and mule deer tag plus gas for less than a $1,000. We have camped in everything from campers, bivy tents to army tents and wouldn't trade any of it for a guided trip.

Somebody said earlier preparing for the trip is half the fun and there right just don't go over board and buy a bunch of crap you don't need especially until your sure elk hunting is for you.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Get where you can walk 6 miles without hurting day after day ,go as early as you can ,Find a out fitter or packer with horses, get his cell number if you get lucky, most charge $200.00 bucks well worth it,,camp in wilderness area,by road i have my wife drop me off high and work my way downhill..to a another road..my limit is 3 miles in 3 miles out covers alot of area,ride back roads at nite ,listen for elk,I'am 64 got spine fused still hunt, use bow hunt as reward for getting in shape start 7 months before hunt.Find unit that is friendly to your style of hunting,,Go have fun life is to short...Don't bit off more than you can chew..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©