3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Outdoor Backstops(anything new out there?)  (Read 802 times)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Outdoor Backstops(anything new out there?)
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Mudd, I don't know how far You are into mid-Missouri, but I have some rubber matting that came off of a school track. It was headed to the trash so I saved a few pieces to use for backstops.

I would gladly donate some Your way. It is 1/2" thick and should last a long time even exposed to the weather 24/7.

I live about 20 min. from Cabella's in K.C. let Me know if Your interested maybe we could figure out how to get some to You.

bretto

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
That's a wonderful offer bretto ! Thank you! I wonder if there's anyone coming this way to the UBM on 2/6/2010? I'm in Ashland, which is half way between Columbia and Jeff City on Hwy 63. Folks from all over the state will be traveling to Jeff City that weekend for the UMB Festival.
I'll start the search to see if I can find a piece of it a ride.
Thanks again!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
im with the cattle mats as they are called in my area tractor supply stores have them not sure the price?

Offline Gene Charbonneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I've been wanting to get downtown to buy one of the "horsestall/cattle mats".    ;)  

4x6feet

$38 at Tractor Supply

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-stalls-accessories/rubber-matting/royal-mat-rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003
}}}==Gene-O==>(X)

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Let Me know if You find someone Mudd.   :thumbsup:

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
This was made using CeloTex. It is a siding material which can be bought from HomeDepot or Lowes etc. Comes in 4x8 sheets. I cut it in 16" strips and stack them. With a roof over it to keep it dry, I shot one for 12 years by moving the layers around from time to time. Cost was less than $100.

John

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I threw an old carpet pad over a rope and let it hang double thick behind the target. But that is inside my garage, not out in the rain.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Hey cherokee scout, how does that stuff work with broadheads?
 Great idea right there.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I just had a vision, 3/4 inch plywood sheet covered with Formica and made like a lean to behind the target with 2-hay bails at the bottom.If the arrow hits it with the angle and smoothness of the Formica it should angle into the hay bail.Someone make it and let me know how it works.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Stiks- No broadheads. They are very difficult to get out and they will ruin the material.

Ipcjon2- that may bend or break the shaft is angle is too steep.
John

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Could always go with half or three eighths ply and let it give a little more.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Mudd,

Just west of you in Booneville, MO is a place called Heubert Fiberboard.  They make targets for the conservation departments archery ranges.  They sell a 4x4 target that makes a perfect backstop/target.  Do a google and it will come right up.

I got one for $123 including tax.  The only problem is they weight a lot so you need some help to move them.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
Mudd,

One more thing...My opinion is the fiberboard targets will last forever especially if you cover the top with something. Tough stuff.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Lancaster Archery Supply sells 2 different Types, that are made to hang off of Airplane Cable. GOOD Idea, and if I EVER get my Backyard Fenced, thats what I want to use, or something like it!!
   Byron Ferguson uses a "Hanging Curtain Type BackStop' as well! I am sure he wouldnt mind telling You about it! He is Awsome to talk to!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
I use a hot tub cover that a friend of mine was replacing. It works great at stopping a misplaced arrow.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Hey Mr. Mudd

Here is a pic of the targets we use @ the house and hunting camp. I have to replace the carpet every year on the out side target but its cheep. You build a 2x6 frame and tack carpet to both sides leaving the top of one side lose and stuff it with plastic bags using a broom stick to pack it down. When its full tack the remaining area and start shooting. It will stop anything except Brodhead’s.  
Its works great and because you use all recycled materials its cheep
Jerry

I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Can't post a pict but I will give you my best description.

Get a 2X8 or 2x6 x 8 ft , Small piece of 2x4 approx 12 inch, 2-5/8 threaded rods 4 foot long. Also 4 washer , 4 nuts. And all the large cardboard boxes you can find. I get mine from a bike shop and raid the hardware store dumpster.

Cut the 4x8 in half. now you have a top and bottom frame. Cut the 2x4 in half and nail to the edges of the 2x8, These will raise the bottom 2x8 off the ground by 4 inches. It is the bottom of the frame. Drill holes about 5 inches in from each side of the 2x8. Note it is best to lay on 2x8 over the other and drill two holes directly throgh the top and bottom frame so the holes allign.

Start cutting cardboard into 14" x 42" strips and keep stacking it on the bottom frame until it reaches 36 - 38 inches high. You need a fair amount of cardboard. Run the theaded rod through the bottom frame so it is sticking up. Keep stacking the cardboard. Lay the top of the frame over the cardboad and run the threaded rod through the holes in the upper frame. Put on the bolts and then keep tightening to compress the cardboard as tight as possible. I find I need to rotate sections of cardboard from the outer edges every so often and re-compress the cardboard. I have had this set up for two years in the back of my garage. Arrow tend to penatrate about 50% through. Sometimes you get a soft spot if you shot into the same area all the time some mix it up a bit.

Works pretty well, weighs a ton, I think I spent $25. for wood and rod, cardboard was all free.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
The target ideas are great! I'm sure a lot of folks will benefit from your suggestions but what I need is something to stop arrows that for whatever reason fail to get snagged in the target. It needs to be really "big" and really "cheap" and realy "easy" to make. I'm not very handy, just handsome!

The big isn't so much for me as it is for any of my buddy's that drop by and want to fling an arrow or two.. like Gray Buffalo, Butch Speer, Loyd.. and others that I want to come back. When they lose arrows here they have a tendency to stay away after-wards...

There's not enough brush in my back yard for an arrow to be sustained on for long periods of time when released back into the wild.

Thanks!
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Hey Mudd--I understand--really cheap--and really easy to make-----------but----How big is  REALLY
Big?--lol.------------Elf.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
4X8 would be big enough for most... but I bet there still might be a couple that could get by that with some of the kids shooting..lol
God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©