3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: right or left, any difference?  (Read 1313 times)

right or left, any difference?
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
does arrow kinda roll to the left if fletched with left fethers- ive heard shoot the same wich ever you decide on.......>>>>------>

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: right or left, any difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
Right hand shooters get better fletch clearance with left wing, and left hand shooters better with right wing.  This is the main reason to pick one over the other.  If your arrows are spined and tuned properly, right or left really doesn't matter.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Think about what a feather does, it spins the arrow.  It doesn't matter which way it spins...the spinning simply stabilizes its flight.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
im a right handed shooter and i didnt know i should be shooting left wing feathers....now i have learned something, its a good day.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
If You Watch a Slow motion Video of someone shooting a bow. You will see the arrow doesn't start to spin till it is away from the bow.

But like what Ragnarok said is about the normal of what most shooters do.

Originally posted by Ragnarok Forge:
Right hand shooters get better fletch clearance with left wing, and left hand shooters better with right wing.  This is the main reason to pick one over the other.  If your arrows are spined and tuned properly, right or left really doesn't matter.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Clearance is dependent on spine reaction and feather rotation, and with feathers little interference will be noticed...if at all.   With vanes, you may have to allow for clearance.  It won't make a hoot of difference at the 80 yard target, what spin your feathers have if your arrow spine is correct.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
I use both and the biggest difference is, when shooting longbows, is right wing will cut your left knuckle (shooting right handed) and left wing will cut your right knuckle (shooting left handed).  With a lot of experimenting I have minimized this effect. I have seen with a couple of cases where there may be a little feather bump difference, but that can usually be tuned out or arrow spine can also be the culprit to cause the feather contact.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Left or right handed shooters do not get better clearance depending on left or right wing feathers.
That is an old wives tale with absolutely no scientific.
Fletch clearance is a function of arrow spine,nothing else.
If your nock point hight is not perfect you will cut your hand with either wing spin,get it right an you won't.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I shoot right handed and alway use right wing feathers. I have no issues with feather clearance on my hand.
If you're shooting the arrow off your hand instead of a rest then the feather tips need to be prepped properly. Otherwise you'll get cut with either wing.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I will need to point out that with Hill and John Schulz bows the standard nocking point is 1/8". It is very common for the arrow to run very close to the finger or in many cases in full contact with the finger. Fred Bear shot with full finger contact on the arrow as well. The sharp side of the quill of the feather contacts the finger with right wing and right hand bows, even if the entire set up is correct. There are some things like slightly rotating the nock or adjusting the fletcher to get the quill to lay flatter on the arrow can minimize the contact. Changes in release from one shot to the next will cause the arrow to hit the finger harder, as will reactions like lifting of the finger during the shot. The easiest thing to do if you shoot these bows or if you like to have the finger contact is use left wing when shooting right handed and right wing when shooting left handed. With my JoJan jig, with left wing and right hand bows it puts a feather straight down. Without violating the suggested nocking point position and minimize feather wear, I rotate the arrow nock 1/8 turn counter clockwise and tack it down with a dab of hot melt. Then, after the arrow has been fletched I rotate the nock to reposition the nock to the grain of the arrow, by turning the arrow 1/8 turn. this turns the bottom feather into the corner of the arrow shelf.  Of course, this is all done clockwise for right wing and left hand bows.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
No difference for me

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
There is no difference between left wing, and right wing, except for the way they spin.
I'm right-handed been shooting right wing feathers forever.
I was told years ago that the left wing for right handed shooters, right wing for left handed shooters deal was a sales ploy. Everybody shot right wing feathers, now you have a glut of left wing feathers, what do you do?
You come up with a story, that you now sell to the public.
We sure are a gullible bunch, aren't we. Still are!
Jim

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I sold Kelly Petersons arrows in my shoppe for a decade, all right wing, that is all he made. No difference at all for anyone regardless of bow, his arrows flew like darts, beautiful.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
It doesn't help that a popular video on making wood arrows states categorically that right handers should use left wing, and vice versa.
Especially when the guy in the video says, "and don't let anyone tell you different!"

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I'm right handed and shoot left wing but it's only because I got an unbeatable deal on a left wing Jo Jan multi fletcher at Bass Pro 4 years ago $65 brand new.  Like most others have said, the only difference it makes is what direction the arrow spins and if your arrows are spined properly you can use either.

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Fletch clearance is a mith.  You have other issues if a different feather fixes your issue.  Right or left matters for 2 reasons:

1. the catch lip is on different sides which can matter on skinny shafts or bigger shafts for that matter.

2. if you shoot broadheads designed to spin to the right you will need to fletch accordingly.... ie the catch lip issue.
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
The best one I heard at a modern pro shop was "left east of the Mississippi and right west of the Mississippi."
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I think it really only matters if you shoot off your hand...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
i dont see a difference!im left handed and shoot right wing to match my broadheads thats the only reason or me.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
I shot self bows for many years, still shot right wing feathers.
Never bothered me, just grind the leading edge of the quill.
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©