3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: right or left, any difference?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: right or left, any difference?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
There is a lot of BS floatin' around the archery atmosphere, and some folks will swear by the bible that it's true.  8^))).  Oh well.  Sometimes, just a good dose of common sense will fix it.....if one can muster-up such a thing in this day and age.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
No difference for me
Same here.  I haven't noticed any difference.

Offline davesonic444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
I see no difference

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
The best one I heard at a modern pro shop was "left east of the Mississippi and right west of the Mississippi."
That is simply classic. I have to wonder if they were serious (and secretely hope they were).

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Hedge Apple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I shoot both. The only difference is right wing has less colors available.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Shoot right wing because they are easier to fletch on my fletcher, and right wing does not loosen my points as bad as left wing.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
I have shot right hand and left hand with either one the right wing feather cuts my hand between thumb and first finger. None of my buddies seem to have this problem so it must be in the way I grip the bow.  :confused:    :confused:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
If you consider a moderate or poorly spined shaft that is flexed in as it passes the risen, then a right hand shooter will get better clearance with left fletch.  Look at how the fletch lies on the shelf, the extra clearance while minor is obvious.

For properly spined arrows you will not care which fletch is used.  Lots of folks calling BS without looking at what is actually happening based on the physics of shooting a bow.  The fact that you don't cut your hand with fletch vs the other proves better fletch clearance without any thought at all. Add in the angle of the fletch and arc of the feather and you also have better clearance. Simple physics.  

Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it BS.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
There is a lot of BS floatin' around the archery atmosphere, and some folks will swear by the bible that it's true.  8^))).  Oh well.  Sometimes, just a good dose of common sense will fix it.....if one can muster-up such a thing in this day and age.
Dang Toot'n, Jason

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
People using common sense once told us the world was flat, another group using it even earlier punished Gallileo for saying that the sun was the center of our solar system instead of the earth. Common sense is frequently wrong.

Common sense does not account for physics and real world applications.  It is totally subjective to each persons experiences which shapes their reality and views of what is sensible.  

Can anyone here name the person who made the first "claim" that left for right and right for left helic was best?  Who are the silly conspirators?  How do we stop the foolishness of left vesus right.  We don't.  It is a valid question.

Physics is clear here, left for right and right for left provides better riser clearance. The difference is minor but it is real.

Having said all that physics is also clear, with a properly tuned arrow the helic you use will make absolutley no difference since the fletching will be flexed away from the riser as they pass it.  

I will stick to the science, and leave the common sense for more experienced trad shooters than I.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
I am a machinist by trade and work on aircraft parts and I am often amazed at how physics and science are opposed to common sense.

Both are wrong at times but it has been proven to me in my experience that common sense and practical application are worth way more than physics and science but you can never prove this to an engineer or scientist as they are never wrong !

Just ask one!

Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
The very reason for picking up the recurve was for the simplicity, if I'm gonna make everything complicated I bout as well shoot a compound!! What the heck! Jason

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Two things.  Does the arrow you are shooting, whether left or right wing, fly good?  Does it hit where you aim?  Who cares otherwise.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I’ll routinely have RW and LW fletched arrow in my quiver.  I never noticed any difference.  I always shoot cock feather in—get virtually no fletching wear that way.  :^)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©