3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 322 times)

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
Texas
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I posted this on another forum, looking for some different views here.
Guys I have a pretty good job offer in Pampa Tx. being a native Michigan guy I imagine it will be a little bit of a shock to the system. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about the area, hunting opportunities, the people, weather, etc..... If I were single this would be a no brainer, it is like a dream job to me, however I have a wife and three kids and we are very involved with our church here in Mi. Of course being laid off for the last 10 months is a bit of a motivator too... Andy

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
You're lucky to have a job & more to have a good job. The area is barren & desolate until you get to know it. Many huntring oportunities exist; mule deer, antelope, whitetails, pigs, etc. This area is so close to Colorado you can always drive there or New Mexico. There are no major metropolitan areas within hundreds of miles. I did see a tree once. PM for more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Looks like you would be close to a lot good hunting areas, outside of texas. New mexico is a draw state. Colorado has a lot of otc tags. Not a lot of public land in Texas.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Think about the weather in Michigan RIGHT NOW! Look outside....LOL!

I moved to Texas some time ago and was very surprised at how genuinely nice the people were. Pampa is a smaller town and I'm sure you will make fast friends there and get the low-down on some really good bowhunting. Especially if you get to be friends with the guys at Great Plains Bows (they're made in Pampa).

Get some boots and do it!
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
That’s far north.  I’ve stopped thru the general region (but never Pampa) a few times.  It seemed very small towny, friendly and remote.

Texas has a plethora of public hunting land run by more than 4 different agencies.  The public hunting opportunities in Texas are so great that you'll find guys like me ( who own private) hunting public lands.  The adventure of public is unsurpassable.

The problem is that many hunters haven't done the research to find the good places and many aren't willing to drive the 2-7 hours to get to the spots (2-7 hrs is nothing, some dudes on here drive 30+ hours to hunt)

Andy, I wont go into everything here but if YOU want to know more, then PM me your phone number and in a ten minute convo I'll give you the skinny on each group that offers public hunting in Texas and how those groups operate and how to make if fun!!!

And BTW if you do move here, shout at me if you want to meet up this summer and hunt central Texas hog (public land - year round) or south texas hog (private land - my place)

I guarantee ya the public is gonna be more of an adventure

Good luck!!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
Andy, I don't know if any state has the VARIETY that Texas has.....

East Texas.  In this pic you can almost make out the sweet green glass on my '65 Howatt. Look how tall the trees are!  The forests of east Texas are incredible!

East Texas public.  One of the Jasper units.  Scouting + 'a date' = fun! Saw some decent sign in the back parts.

West Texas border. Public.  Look at the altitude changes!! This place has mouflon, corsican, occasional Aoudad, javi, deer. No I have not killed any there but I keep going back.  This year is my year.  I am taking down a goat or sheep!!! No doubt! Look at the water. Awesome bass fishing. Lake is so big that it white caps like an ocean! (you can't see the whole lake here you are just seeing a TINY finger of the lake)

South Texas brush.  Inhospitable beauty.  My favorite place to hunt in Texas. I love being in the south Texas brush.  Tons of fun!

And these are just a few of the many vastly different regions we have here.  You cannot lose!

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
martin guy
Texas is a great state to live in and I live in West Texas but don’t get it confused with East or South Texas.  People that aren’t from Texas don’t understand how big Texas really is.  If you were driving say to Florida from West Texas It would take you a day just to cross Texas and in one more day you could cross all the other states to get there.  I think Pampa is on the edge of the Llano Estacado one of the world’s largest and flattest plateaus.  There is good mule deer, antelope (by permit only), pheasant, dove, quail, and hog hunting in the area.  Once you drop of the Caprock there is good whitetail and turkey hunting but don’t plan on hunting from a tree stand in this area.  Like straitera mentioned New Mexico is close and I have drawn archery mule deer tags in some of the best areas in New Mexico.  Pampa is within an hour of Amarillo which is a decent size town of nearly 200,000.  The people in this area are very friendly and the weather isn’t that bad.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Funny you should mention Great Plains, they are the reason I would be moving, Bill has offered me a job!

Andy

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Great pix

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
Always liked the looks of those GP bows, and I hear they shoot as good as they look. Now Andy, tell the family we got good churches down here in TX too, though I don't frequent them as much as I should. Grand Rapids loss and TX gain. The Governor of TX is campaigning now, and I think I heard him say around 1,000 people are moving to TX every day! Welcome if you decide to make the move, a lot of folks are, and I think they are choosing wisely. Good luck with whatever you do.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Chester and Mysticguido, here is some info to get you started re: Year round or partial season pig.  I am getting too busy with work to be on here so I am signing outta here till past April 15.  Email me after 4/15 if you want to meet up. I'll be hunting more central but here are some places to get you stared. Like I said.......you'll find beaucoup public hunting in Texas.....

Sam Houston  (year round IIRC)
Lake Ray Roberts (Jan-Aug IIRC)
Old Sabine (May IIRC)
Lake Lavon (year round IIRC)
Cooper (cant recall)
Grapevine (cant recall)

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
The closest federal public lands from Pampa are at least 5 hours away and the tpwd public lands are more of a pain to use than anything.  You can probably find a good lease for a reasonably price in that area though.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Thanx Chris, I'll be scouting/hunt Sam Houston this Spring/summer

I'll also check out the others as well.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I dont remember the town but its north of Huston.Well my sister and her family moved their six months ago and love it.Her hubby does a lot of fishing.Change is good make some money and if you don't like it move back.But make some money while you can it's only gonna get worse,the economy that is.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
"The closest federal public lands from Pampa are at least 5 hours away"

Sorry raideranch but that is not correct. Not even close.  I don't wanna call you out but I gotta set the record straight here and I think your prolly overlooked a few areas on accident.  This forum is all about learning and sharing info so I will share some of what I know.  Hopefully it will help somebody.

The closest Federal lands are less than an hour away….. bout 50 miles. See below.  I'm NOT posting this in an attempt to look cool or omniscient……..rather….... I'm posting it b/c I want other people to experience Texas and how bada$$ this state truly is.  Sorry for the rant but I am EXTREMELY tired of people (Texans no less!) misrepresenting this fine state.  

The hunting opportunities in Texas continue to amaze me.  It is a myth that Texas is high fenced and has no public hunting.  But apathetic Texan hunters love to perpetuate that myth. I've lived and hunted here all my life and never hunted high fence.

Show me another state that has this variety and population of huntable free range exotics! Show me another state that this many 'show up and hunt' type public places.  Show me another state that has this many year round public hunts!

Bottom line....if you take the time to research the areas you will find that Texas public land is a goldmine.  

So here is some additional info pertinent to the OP's vicinity (and anyone who wants to accept the adventure that is Texas public hunting)

If you want to hunt public in Texas….

Tip #1 = stay away from all things TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife)

Tip #2 = Go Federal

Tip #3 =  Learn about the TYPES of FEDERAL Land.  There are multiple TYPES of FEDERAL land in Texas (two examples are National Forests and National Parks).  

Lake Meredith is a National Park.  Its huge and if you lived in Pampa it would be in your backyard.  No draw, show up and hunt.  What is it like 50 mi from Pampa? You can find Mulies, Turkey and Pheasant there.
IIRC Meredith is 10,000 acres total, don’t know huntable acreage but…….you get point.  

Texas is a BIG place. Lots of public hunting. Lots of hunters who know nothing about it b/c they never put in the time.  

Sorry for the rant…..but this place is awesome!

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
raideranch, mysticguido and all you TX guys.. I'm gonna post up around the first of may and I  hope y'all will come out to hunt public with me.  So far I just keep running into wheelie guys on public.

Raideranch...dunno how far West you are but you are correct in that its a helluva drive to even get around inside Texas.  Most people do not realize the size of this state.

It would be great to meet some other trad hunters.  I was hoping I'd meet some of yall at shoots/trad gatherings this summer.....but I say that every year and I end up hunting instead of going to shoots.  So why not do a group hunt in a central location for pigs. I got some great ideas and I'll post up in May....until then good luck to everyone.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
sent you a PM chris, Also been looking at other places to hunt/scout. I live way down in wharton, TX.

Drop me a email when you get back in State.

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Just north of Paducah is the Matador Wildlife Management Area. There are whitetails and mulies there. I got a really nice mulie there a few years ago.
However, how it is hunted changes almost yearly, depending on the deer population. Some years they don't allow any hunting at all. Some years it's hunted as a Type II draw area (or whatever they call it now) for archery.
It's a very unique place. It's probably the closest public hunting around Pampa. If you get a chance check it out.
I think there is one more area up that way but I'm not familiar with it.
Colburn

Offline Hedge Apple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
Andy
Supporting the family and seeing some new country would seem like a no brainer to me. Michigan is a great state but a man has to make a living and I don't see the ecomony improving in our region any time soon. You may or may not like Texas but you will never know unless you take the leap.

Fishnhunt
Got to agree with the awesome bass fishing that Texas has but that lake is a pond. Many ocean freighters sit at the bottom of this chain of lakes. lol.

South Haven, MI. looking in the direction of Chicago

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 12:52:00 AM »
Hedge Apple
I like what you've written that’s a great perspective.  And a great pic. Yes you are definitely right about the size of your lakes!!!  

Andy
Sorry for derailing your thread w/ my wanderings.  I think you would be well served to come to Texas.  People are nice here and in this economy a job is a good thing to have.  My offer stands on the hunting too. Although that drive from Pampa TX to Beeville TX is 10 hours (600+ miles). Yep Texas is big!

If there is anything I can do for you while I am here and you are there, lemme know

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©