3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use Gorilla Glue on woodies?  (Read 207 times)

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone use Gorilla Glue on woodies?
« on: January 29, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Another thread about Gorilla Glue (carbon inserts) got me thinking about the pros and cons of using it to glue points on woodies. I am building some wood arrows for 3D shoots and wonder how it holds up in those targets. Anyone have any good/bad experiences? thanks

Offline Chris40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use Gorilla Glue on woodies?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I do and it works well. After they sit a while the glue expands and you get a foam ring of glue that you have to wipe off with a damp rag.  One nice thing is, it gives you time to spin test your arrows and adjust the point straightness.  Just don't glue them up and leave them til the next day.  The glue will be hard to get off.  A razor knife works if that happens.  Hope this helps.
USN Retired 1984-2006
God Bless the USA

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Chris. So if you shoot them into 3D targets the Gorilla glue holds them on OK for you? Think I will glue on some points using it and give it a try.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
I just tested a new tradepoint with GG and sinew.  I shot it into plywood then into 2x12.  It took 3 shots to break the glue and sinew loose and begin cracking the arrow.  I was impressed.

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
dang Steve B.! With results like that what chance does a puny ole McKenzie 3D have? Gonna glue some on tomorrow for sure.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I agree.  In fact, I realized that the sinew was really only keeping the point straight on the shaft and not providing much resistance, if any, to the blade pushing into the shaft, so the glue had to be doing most of it.
For hunting, all it needs to do is hold together for that one shot.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chris40:
I do and it works well. After they sit a while the glue expands and you get a foam ring of glue that you have to wipe off with a damp rag.  One nice thing is, it gives you time to spin test your arrows and adjust the point straightness.  Just don't glue them up and leave them til the next day.  The glue will be hard to get off.  A razor knife works if that happens.  Hope this helps.
Great to know Chris, just got into trad and the wood arrows that came with the bow already are down 2 points and I was considering gorilla glue but did want to mess anything up.  Thanks for the note expansion too I was concerned with that too.  Great site here!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
In A Word......... NO!!!  
 :scared:    :scared:    :scared:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I use hot melt and Goat Tuff glue for my points.  Hot melt when I'm tuning and goat tuff for hunting, and targets.  I've tried the gorilla glue but the expansion caused me some problems with the heads not spinning true after the glue dried and I lost a few heads in bag targets.  I've never lost a point with the goat tuff and it dries quickly so you can shoot within a minute of gluing the point on.  I've given up on FerLTite completely because I've lost a small fortune in broadheads and points that were glued on with it.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
I used gorilla glue on my neighbors delaminated bow. The riser split and both limbs had lam splits going half way up. He borrowed it to some one that got in a wrestling match with it trying to string it. It was a high scholl project job that never was tillered properly to begin with. I glued and clamped and wound string and rubber bands to a make shift block form.  I took a few pounds off when I tillered it, going on four years and still shooting. I tried gorilla glue on woodies with broadheads, thinking that if I could get them on straight they would stay that way even when practicing on my deer target. Two of them are in my deer target somewhere right now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©