3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mo. Mark Twain hogs?  (Read 272 times)

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
Mo. Mark Twain hogs?
« on: January 29, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Does anyone hunt hogs on Mark Twain? I have never hunted hogs or on the forest so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lil Red

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mo. Mark Twain hogs?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
Have heard you have to watch out for the drug dealers. Looking nearer kansas.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Hogs and drug dealers what in the...
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
No joke I think I saw a show on that about a small town and a huge drug problem.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I have seen a map put out by the Missouri Conservation dept. on feral hog reports and concentrations.I'll look to see if I can find the site address.I know one of the areas was on Truman lake another in Stone and Barry county on Table rock Lake Not far from Mark Twain NF but still on Corp land so it would be public.I went on a hunt that was organized on Tradgang at lake Wappello in southeast MO.Do a search on Tradgang Pow wow and you should find some info.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
hmm...we didnt see any hogs on MT a few years back...is this something new?  I may be down that way chasing turkeys again this spring.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
I don't live very far from M.T. and I have heard there are hogs there. Dear season is gone until 9/15 so, I would like to hunt hogs. I cannot find any location to start with and was hoping that some of the gang could point me in the right direction.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Huey, Get ahold of Citori he knows alot about the feral hog population in Mo. and check out this thread   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039459#000000

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
I will volunteer now to come help chase pigs. I know a few other trad ganger's that will help as well... LOL

If a hog/squirrel hunt is going to happen please let us know.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
It should be Federal law that a hunter can shoot drug dealers (Indiana would require a $27.50 tag)
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Nail:
It should be Federal law that a hunter can shoot drug dealers (Indiana would require a $27.50 tag)
John would you consider a change in your law to read.. Federal law that a hunter "must" shoot drug dealers!....lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Here is the map that Ben (ksbowman) referred to.  http://mdc.mo.gov/landown/wild/nuisance/hogs/distribution.htm

Here is a note from the conservation department. I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but you may want to consider this before traveling to far to hunt pig in Missouri.

“Missouri feral hog populations are relatively small and thinly scattered. Because hunting is difficult and the chance of success is limited, special trips from out-of-state to hunt feral hogs in Missouri are not recommended.”

I would suggest that you contact the conservation agency office in the area that you pick to hunt to see if they can help direct you to the place that the hogs frequent the most. There is a map at the bottom of this page (link given). Click on the region you’re interested in and the phone numbers will be on the left of the page that opens.  http://mdc.mo.gov/

Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
How many scored or saw hogs last year?  Would be great info to know.  Thanks, mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Hogs are still pretty rare here although I imagine 20 years from now we'll be cussing them.  I've never seen one or any sign, I have a co-worker that got a single hog on his trail cam, and know a guy who knows a guy who saw some once.

Didn't a Trad Ganger post a pic of one they'd shot here in MO during deer season?  I believe he said that was the first one they'd ever seen as well.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by John Nail:
Illinois would charge nonesidents $500. The south side of Chicago would be flooded with outfitters.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
On the last hunt I believe 13 were sited and I think they were all at the same time. A sow and piglets but they could have been in a couple of sitings.Anyway they were few and far between.But we ate well and had fun.  Ben

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Guys there are a few pigs in the area south of Viburnum, we have never killed any with a bow.(Guns differant)  They just hardly move in the day with all the pressure they get.  Guys run them with dogs and bait them,and spotlight them on wheat fields.    They stay in the draws and ditches that have been clear cut and know a huge thick mess.  Like said before unless you live close where you can find them then put down corn for a while to keep them coming to it chances are very slim.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
$27.50 for a tag--that ain't too bad.  Non-resident tags might cost a bit more but may be worth it to rid the area of scumbags.  I might consider it--need to find some new kind of game to hunt anyway   :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
I give the conservation department told me that reynolds and texas county has about the biggest populations of feral hogs. Me and my cousin and my cousin along with a few friends have spotted a couple small herds of them at the white ranch area in southern howell county. By small I mean a half dozen or so at a time and there scattered out all over the place and they are hard to keep track of because they are constantly moving. Good luck in your search and when you see that first pig, your heart may skip a beat or two.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Jason... maybe we should beat the crowd and lease up some of that ground!
  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©