3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?
« on: January 29, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
Ok the first night is over.  What a great time.  Saw a lot of Trad Gangers.  Shot a pile of bows. I can't wait to get back tomorrow.  So what did you shoot that you loved?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kalamazoo Expo what did you shoot?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
well i didn't get to shoot any cuz i am fresh off of a hernia surgery, but man there were some beautiful bows,  really liked the timberhawk bows and the talltines
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
O.K...........Todd,

Let's hear about those "NEW" Zipper recurve limbs.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
I shot a C-note! LOL Got my Cherokee Slim detachable quiver to match my new Toelke Chinook (the main reason I went), a backup Super Tab and a neat handwarmer bag that you can put on a belt or run on a long leather cord over your neck/shoulder.

I wish I had more time, but a 4 year old, a 3 year old, 4 month old twins and a very tired momma who flew in from a work gig on the 5am redeye from NYC and still worked all day, at home managing the chaos, made me possibly the shortest timed visitor in the entire Expo tonight. LOL I was like the terminator going thru the show.

But on the way out, I almost bought that little toddler combo near the front door that had the bow, arrows and case for $65. But I already have one 12lb'er, so I guess I can wait another year.

The selection of kids bows there is really impressive. Something tells me I'll be buying one of those mini pink recurve(s) for my 3 girls sooner than later.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
Don those limbs looked nice, but I like LB mostly.  There were some nice looking SXT's.  A lot of nice looking ones and snake skins.

Nice to see you again Bob.  I have a request for one of those pink bows also. Nice quiver for sure.

I shot a lot of bows last year and this year I tried to hit some favorites and try a lot of new stuff.  To save some typing just assume that unless noted it was fast, smooth, hit where I looked, quiet, close to or dead in the hand, great looking.............  If it wasn't it wouldn't be on my list.  I should say however, that I didn't shoot a bad bow all night.  Here is what stood out to me.

This was my first time shooting Morrison bows.  I didn't find the perfect weight, length and grip combo for me in the rack, but I found a couple that did nicely. The Shawnee 60" with LB limbs was very nice.  I shot it well.  I can see why everyone loves them.  I like the lower grip.  That mini 14" ILF is really sweet!!  I had to get out of there fast.

This was also my first time shooting and ACS.  The standard riser bows are nice, but for me the grip didn't really feel right, and they liked getting into my bow arm a lot.   I would have to spend more time with one.  The new short riser was what did it for me.  I love it.  It is a little beefier grip than I normally like, but it worked well for me.  The aluminum riser was real nice as was the wood.  I think they will be very popular.

Someone was asking about the Dwyer Endeavor not too long ago.  Well that is one really nice shooting little bow.  I pulled it to just over 29" and it was a pleasure to shoot.  Unfortunately the choices were low 40's and a 60#er.  Not quite what I wanted to try, but the 45 I shot was a real arrow stacker.    It was probably good that they didn't have a low 50# bow on the rack, or it would have followed me home.  The grip was on the thin side, but it fit the hand well and shot well.  A little palm swell would be a nice touch for me, but I am not sure I would change anything.

I had to the Shrew table four or five times again this year.  There was a 56" classic hunter bow bolt carbon, foam, curly something, and glass, that was a real looker, and shot sooooo smooth it was crazy.  It has diamond wood, glass, phenolic, maple, and maybe one other laminate in the riser.  It was very nice looking.  I don't know that I shot any bow better than that one.  There is just something about that grip.  I got more than a few comments from the spectators about how well the bow was shooting and questions about what it was.  It was screaming buy me!!, but my wallet was screaming now way!!  Just too many upgrades on that baby for me right now.  I also shot the new Model T.  It was very accurate.  The grip is similar, but larger then the shrew.  It had a noticeable thump for me.  I liked it, but the CH was just so good it was hard to compete.

A real surprise was the new St. Joe River short recurve.  It is a 54" static tip bow.  I pulled it back and there was no finger pinch. It felt like about 52#.  I looked and it was 58#@28.  I couldn't believe how smooth that little bow was.  I normally don't shoot them that heavy, and I was really surprised at how easy it was to pull back to a little over 29" no problem.  I didn't shoot it, but should have.

I have only shot a BW PSR up to this year so I had to give the BW bows a go.  They are a little heavy for my taste.  I didn't care for the long bows.  I tried some different TD grips and found I really like the standard grip a lot.  The new PCH did catch my eye.  I shot several from 54"-60"  The 58" was just right for me.  It is a hard hitter for sure and very stable with the weight.  This small riser is just about right for my taste.  I wouldn't mind a hair less weight so maybe less phenoic.  I could stack arrows with that bow all day.

I shot the Zipper LB SXT a couple times.  I shot 60" bows and they were fine, but for me I would like a 62" a little better I think.  The carbon and foam was great in everyway.  All very nice looking bows for sure.  

I must say my ArrowMaster quiver got a lot of questions.  I lost track of how may people asked about it and how I liked it.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Hey Todd, if you get a chance, stop by the Feathered Shaft booth and say Hi.  I'm in the first room near the hall.  Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:11:00 PM »
Todd,

I have the Zipper SXT with 64" longbow limbs. It is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet bow. I hope that you are going back tomorrow, because I really wanted to hear a report on the Tall Tines bows.

I haven't ever shot a Morrison either, and he only lives a couple hours from me, to be honest, I'm kind of afraid to shoot one.

If you go back tomorrow, and shoot the Tall Tines, give us a report........PLEASE.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Preacherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
it sure was fun and looking forward to tomorrow
Preacherman - Trust in Him and not yourself, and He will make it work!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
I will stop over Rick.  I hope to be there first thing to beat some of the rush and shot just a few more bows.

I would say for a 29" draw the 60" Zipper is right at the bottom of the length for me.  It was smooth all the way no problem, but I like a little more finger clearance.  

I saw the tall tines bows.   There was always about 5 people stuffed in the booth so I never got in there to pick up any bows.  I will make a point of it tomorrow.  It will be crazy.  Good for business, but hard for me to stand in those longer lines to shoot.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Good stuff, can't wait till tomorrow, this is better than opening day!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
Yep I had a blast!!  Shot a few Shrews, the new 12" riser ACS, and 1pc ACS, a couple of Widows that my wife really want's me to buy the recurve for her, and I shot a couple of Roy Halls bows the "Cherokee", and "Aztec".  I liked both bows, but that Aztec points itself and shoots like a dream.  I'm gonna have to shoot again tomorrow but I might be bringing a Roy Hall bow home with me.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
BW sure had a lot of nice looking bows there.  Here is a Curley Narra BW PCH I shot.  Not the best phone pic.  This was a different wood, and I liked the look.  Boy was it heavy.  This wood without phenolic would be a real stable shooter.  It is a subtle darker wood, but very nice.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I have shot a couple Roy Hall bow, and they were very nice.  I didn't get a chance to shoot any today.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
Nothing tonight but I'm going to shoot a bunch tomorrow.

Starting with the "green glass" Great Northern bows I saw tonight!  

It was neat to see new bows with green glass!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Got a chance to shoot the new Zipper Evolution recurve limbs tonight. I didn't think Bill could make the SXT any sweeter, but he did. They flat out smoke an arrow,are smooth as silk,and quiet as a mouse.  :thumbsup:  Can't wait till my name comes up on his list!!  :biglaugh:  

Bill

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
I was there tonight for a few hours.Shot a few bows and got a great string from Oliverstacy(thanks again Josh).I would give the TallTines a go if you have the chance it is worth the wait for sure and shoot that little 54" St.Joe River Bow recurve very nice.I also shot a longbow from St.Joe that i think was Arwins that shot great and a Northern Mist with green glass that was just cool.I think the turn out is going to be crazy this year as i should be it is a great show.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 04:02:00 AM »
Ah wish i could make this Show sometime!

Take plenty of Pics and post them up.....

:wavey:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
If Thunderstick Archery is there would someone please shoot a MOAB for me and report?
Thanks!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Hey guys, when and where is the next big show? I've got to plan a road trip and go to one! Thanks for the reports!! Looking forward to more!
                Jr.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
I would absolutely love to go to this Expo ,hopefully next year.I thank you people for posting about the show.PS DON"T post anything on a MOAB poor MUDD won't sleep for three weeks!LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©